Parking $pace$

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Parking $pace$

Post by rh »

:o
Manhattan parking spot going for $225,000
Thursday July 12, 11:38 am ET

Parking spaces in New York cost as much as $225,000 and could soon be going higher still, putting the cost for the prime spots above the price tag of the typical U.S. home price.

Manhattan real estate agent Tom Postilio said there is a waiting list of seven or eight people hoping to pay $225,000 for one of five private parking spaces that has been approved in the basement of 246 West 17th Street, a 34-unit condo development scheduled for completion next January.

The developer of that building is seeking permission to add another four spots, and Postilio said the addition spots are likely to cost even more than the current price, although he could not give an exact price.

"Supply and demand being what it is, there's probably going to be an increase," he told CNNMoney.com.

That latest figures from the National Association of Realtors put the nation's median existing home price at $223,700 in May, meaning that half of the homes sold in the month sold for less than that and half sold for more. Overall, home prices nationwide have been declining in the face of a slump in home sales this year.

Part of the reason for the pricey spots in New York is city rules controlling new residential buildings in most of Manhattan that limit spots to about 20 percent of the units, according to The New York Times, which first reported the $225,000 price tag in an article Thursday.

That limit has resulted in some condo buyers paying roughly as much per square foot for their car's home as for their own, according to the paper.

The paper says that property appraiser Miller Samuel estimates that the average parking space in the expensive neighborhoods of Manhattan now costs $165,019, or $1,100 per square foot. That compares to an average apartment price of $1,107 per square foot.

full story
there is no end to the walking
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

So this limo drives up to Chase Manhattan bank HQ and this gorgeous chick steps out, (bling, furs, etc.).
'I want to see the bank manager'
"right away, Ma'am'
'What can I do for you?" Bank Mgr, says
'I want a $250,000 loan'.
'Ok, let me check your credit', which he does, she comes back clean, he says, ' we'll need some token collateral for that...what do you have?'
So she does that roll-eyes/sigh thing, plops down the keys to the limo.
Bnk. Mgr sends some guys to check it out, has them pull it around the back + park it, her driver gets a cab, + she walks out with $250,000.

A month later she comes in again with her driver ,asks to see the Mgr., plops down the $250,000 PLUS $25K interest and says 'my limo, please' + hands the keys to her driver.
The Bank mgr closes her account, she's on the way out, + he stops her" "Ma'am...I know I shouldnt ask, but I'm suspicious...what just went on here? The bank dosent want to be a part of anything....illegal."

'Silly man', she says, "Where else in Manhattan can I park my limo for $25,000 a month?!?'
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Just another good reason to not drive in NYC.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Considering that residential units in the condo are probably $2 million to $10 million, $225,000 for a parking space doesn't seem so ridiculous.

I remember an anecdote about a friend and her husband driving from North Carolina to visit relatives in Manhattan. They circled the block a couple of times and couldn't find any place to park. Finally, they pulled into a parking garage without thinking twice. In the morning, when it was time to pay for parking, the fee was as much as a hotel room. True story.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I always assumed that providing parking was compulsory with an apartment/home.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Steamwalker wrote:I always assumed that providing parking was compulsory with an apartment/home.
Where?!
Not in Baltimore!
Not in Annapolis!
In fact, one of the biggest impediments to my buying a house in Annapolis (downtown) has been that having even 1 parking space will add $200K to the price of the house. Many, many people rely on street parking, which can be spotty.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Buying a home that doesn't include a parking spot or garage seems nuts! Especially nuts are those people who purchase or rent parking spaces far from their homes so they have to take a bus or taxi to and from their car.
djm

Post by djm »

The expectation that parking space is automatically included seems to reflect certain unreal notions. Where I am, the houses are pretty old. Most do not have parking - never did. I guess it wasn't requirement a hundred and twenty years ago. In fact, most lots in town have only 25 to 30 feet frontage, so squeezing in parking space has a real effect on the size the house can be on the lot.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I SO want to tarmac my front yard.... :( :cry: :sniffle:
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

As has been said here, many homes only have on-street parking for vehicles. The city ordinances that pertain to on-street parking, no doubt, vary from city to city. For example, does the home owner have any special right to park in front of his/her house, given that it is a public street? If another vehicle is parked in "your" parking spot in front of your house, can you have the car towed if it is not moved within a specified time? How many unrelated people can live in a single house? Our city ordinance says that only four unrelated people can live in a house, but the landlord who owns the house next to us routinely rents to five college students. Five college-age females + guests = 8-10 cars parked in the driveway, blocking the sidewalk, and on the street. Is it worth while trying to do anything about it when the city ordinance is obviously not being enforced?
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Another reason to be glad I live in the "back of beyond". Parking galore :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

cowtime wrote:Another reason to be glad I live in the "back of beyond". Parking galore :D
Yep. I've had to think about it. I love the historic district, and admire the houses often. But most of them were built 17th through 19th centuries, for working people--so only the really hefty, rich-people houses included space for the carriages. Everyone else walked. How does that translate into modern days? You come home from a hard day of work and circle several blocks several times until you can parallel squeeze into something. My friend who lives there will not leave her home on certain days--Naval Academy Graduation weekend, the boat show, or almost any Friday night during tourist season--because she'll lose her space.

I'm considering, for the future, a short walk across the bridge to Eastport--a former waterman's community where the cachet of historic has been slower to catch on. Those houses have more of a compact village feel, and most have at least a small driveway. Cannot imagine having 4 grown children popping in and out, and 2 family members with degenerative neuro conditions, dealing with the parking space run-around.
Last edited by emmline on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I smell a new TV reality show in here somewhere - people doing something completely stupid to win a parking space in the city......
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

In some neighborhoods of Troy, NY, people have a quaint custom. The parking places in front of homes are not reserved, but residents will sometimes put chairs, traffic cones, etc. in those spaces when they leave(public streets, mind you...) to "reserve" the spaces. Back when I was a podiatrist and made house calls, I actually had people try to chase me away from those parking spaces. My little black doctor's bag usually helped, especially when I told them that I would be there only for a short while. Funny custom though, and the police look the other way.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jack

Post by Jack »

When there are so many hundreds of millions of people starving and dying from "simple" diseases, we should be ashamed of ourselves as a society that we've come to this.