Keyed Flutes SOLD - Rudall Rose/Pratten/Siccama

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lowden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lowden »

Sven,

Happy to hear that you are getting married. Congrats!!

I remember you had a beautiful Wilks when you came to Tokyo a few years ago... You still have so many great flutes??

I would buy your Rudall if I were a flute player...

Anyway, happy to see you again here :D .

Ken F (guitarist in Tokyo)
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Congratulations, Sven! Here's to funding a great wedding -- and honeymoon trip from the sound of it! :-)

Oh, cursed income (or lack thereof) -- but I'll pass the word on.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Sven the flute seller playing

u can hear flute all the way, but from 2 mins there's some flute almost solo.

I think you could say he can play the flute alright :wink:

Not that it matters.....he can sell whatever he darned well pleases.....

....nobody said this would be easy......

boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

....nobody said this would be easy......

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Damn, thanks for posting those clips, Boyd. I know the next slip jig I'm learning. What a beautiful tune and a great rendition.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
johnkerr

Re: Keyed Flutes for Sale - Olwell/Rudall Rose/Pratten/Sicca

Post by johnkerr »

Blackwood wrote:2. Rudall, Rose and Carte # 6069 gorgeous Cocus wood with custom lip plated Chris Wilkes head joint (also comes with original head joint uncracked.). This flute is an excellent player A 440, 8 keyed, plays strongly down to the low C. This flute was made around 1852. Asking US$4.2K o.b.o.

4. Olwell 6 keyed flute Blackwood, superb condition. This flute was Aaron Olwell’s personal flute until recently. I’m only selling it because I just got my hand on an Olwell 6 key in cocus which I prefer. Asking US$6K o.b.o. Waiting list for a keyed Olwell is 6-7 years at the moment.
I know Olwell flutes are great. In fact, I own two of them myself. But looking at the relative prices you're asking for your Olwell six-key blackwood vs your eight-key Rudall with two headjoints, I do have to ask this question: What's wrong with the Rudall that you're not telling us about? Or, to put it another way, what makes this particular Olwell so good that it's worth nearly 50% more than an eight-key Rudall with a Wilkes headjoint in addition to the original uncracked Rudall headjoint? I have a six-key blackwood Olwell in superb condition myself, but I doubt I could ask $6000 for it. Well, I could ask, but I'd be quite surprised to get it. Why do you think yours can get that much?
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Hi John,

Every serious buyer who contacts me gets a detailed assessment of each flute plus the opportunity to speak to a renowned flute maker who has inspected the flutes in detail. Ideally a buyer would come by and visit and play the flute of interest for themselves. I also offer to play them or record audio.

The relative prices are my assessment (rightly or wrongly) of what the market will bear. As you see I'm asking a price or a best offer. I know personally of 3 recent Olwell keyed flute transactions in the $6K + range.

Hope that helps.

Sven
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Hi Cathy - thx I appreciate you spreading the word

Ken! Hey how are all the folks in Tokyo doing...still have fond memories..If you guys are ever in Tokyo, Ken is a great host and tour guide!
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

PM was posted by mistake. I apologize to the Board and to Sven for this mistake.

Best,
Hugh
Last edited by flutefry on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Blackwood wrote:The relative prices are my assessment (rightly or wrongly) of what the market will bear. As you see I'm asking a price or a best offer. I know personally of 3 recent Olwell keyed flute transactions in the $6K + range.
It seems you missed my point, Sven. If you looked, I bet you could find many more than three $6K-range transactions involving Rudalls, assuming they were in top-flight condition. I've no doubt that people will overpay for an Olwell, but my point is that if you think you can get that much for an Olwell, why are you asking nearly $2000 less for a Rudall that should be worth at least as much if not more, if it's indeed in as good a shape as you say? (And I don't necessarily doubt that it is, BTW.)

When it comes down to it, I think your asking price for the Rudall is fair, while the price of the Olwell is way too high - which is not to say that someone won't pay you that much for it. I'd be interested to know what the two top flute makers you mentioned would have to say about your relative pricing - either anonymously or by name.
cocusflute

Olwell prices

Post by cocusflute »

John,
I know of several used Olwell six-keys that have gone for $6,000. One sold for €5,000. That's more like $6,500. They are seldom offered on the open market - not to mention a custom flute like Sven's, with a right-hand Bb touch.
There is a premium that you'd expect to pay to avoid a six-year wait. The premium is about $35 a month, or a bit more than $1 a day. It may not be worth it to you but there are plenty of people who don't want to wait and who are willing to pay that price. If you play your flute every day $1 a day and $1.25 on Sunday isn't very much.
A Wilkes keyless went for $3,300 last year. Two years earlier I sold a keyless Wilkes for $1,800 and thought I got a good price. A used Olwell keyless Pratten just sold for nearly 20% more than a new one with a ± ten month wait.
So sure Sven's Olwell is worth it. Has anybody ever regretted buying a flute made by a top maker? It isn't over-paying if you want it and you love it and you'll use it.
And why would a Rudall be worth more or better than an Olwell?
Cocus
Last edited by cocusflute on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Well, as I said, I've no doubt that Olwells will sell for that price, and I guess if enough of them are selling at that price then they are indeed worth it. But still I would think that a Rudall in good condition (i.e. needing no work to play at its best), eight key as opposed to six key, and with an extra head joint to boot should be going for at least as much as the Olwell, if not more. Wouldn't you? What's the wait list like for Rudalls these days, anyway?

Oh, and your mention of the right-hand Bb touch was the first I saw of that. Sven never mentioned it, did he? Or did I just miss that somewhere?
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

John,

You stated:
Oh, and your mention of the right-hand Bb touch was the first I saw of that. Sven never mentioned it, did he? Or did I just miss that somewhere?
I'm honestly not sure what you are driving at or trying to imply. I stated very clearly for all to see:
Serious parties please pm me for detailed descriptions and we can go into more detail, including pictures, audio etc.
I have put forth some high level descriptions of these flutes and I'm clearly stating that a detailed description of each flute will be provided for serious buyers and I am doing that.

There are several people who posted here who actually have played these flutes and have spoken to their quality. The pricing is mine to set and I'm very comfortable with it, and I have several people telling me including one of the flutemakers I spoke with today who confirm the pricing is reasonable.

If you are selling flutes you are welcome to set your own prices. Nobody is forcing you to buy them.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

johnkerr wrote: What's the wait list like for Rudalls these days, anyway?

I've been in contact with Mr. Rudall through a local medium. He has informed me that he won't be opening his order book again until after The Resurrection.

I am however willing to take down payments on orders and hold them for him until that time. :D

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
eilam

Post by eilam »

when is Resurrection?
"i must to know"
:D