Your next dream instrument

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

As a person living in hippy land, I can state with some authority that hippies generally do NOT drive Priuses (is that the proper plural for "Prius"?). YUPPIES drive Priuses. Hippies still drive beat up old vans and have bong parties in the back. Hippies who have become Yuppies, however, tend to favor PT Cruisers and those new VW Beetles.

:D

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I guess I'm just what happens when one yet a hippy gets stuck in the fly over/Midwest.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

From the Wikipedia article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

"Many enthusiasts enjoy using Prii as the plural, which would be correct if prius were a regular second declension Latin noun. The actual Latin plural of the adjective is priora. ([22] is slightly in error here) All of these forms are nominative case and there are several other forms for the other cases. As for the plural of Prius in English, Toyota has said that it is simply Prius [25], and also that owners are welcome to use whatever they like. [26]"
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
emmline

Post by emmline »

hyldemoer wrote:Are they practical to be pulled behind a Prius?
I don't know. But a Subaru Forester? Definitely.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbhikes »

hyldemoer wrote:
Hippy?
My husband, with a PhD in physics working in IT as a sysadmin who paid cash for his Prius with the bonus he got for not jumping ship last time his employer got sold, a hippy?

No, don't think so.
Yeah, but is his Prius hacked? He ain't no engineer unless he hacks his Prius.

I have received my dream instruments. I have two flutes now: A Casey Burns Folk Flute and a regular open-holed silver flute. My dream now is to play them well.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

my mother thought I was becoming a hillbilly.
Nothin' wrong with that...... :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

cowtime wrote:
my mother thought I was becoming a hillbilly.
Nothin' wrong with that...... :D
Except perhaps if the hillbillies were insulted by my being confused as one of them.

Seriously though, when I take a group fiddle class in Chicago its generally full of Dr.s, lawyers, and folks working in IT.

Claw hammer banjo group classes have been full of the same occupations only the age group tends to be a bit younger, everyone is sporting tatoos and a lot of the guys have shaved their head as a hairstyle.

Who else makes the $ to support musical instrument acquisition syndrome these days without getting a second mortgage on the farm.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Foot operated accompaniment would be cool. I've always wanted a set of Taurus bass pedals from the 80's. Or maybe a bodhran with a tipper mounted on a stand with a bass drum pedal, sort of like Gabriel's set up on the cover of Genesis Live (the '74 one).
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Father Emmet wrote:Foot operated accompaniment would be cool. I've always wanted a set of Taurus bass pedals from the 80's. Or maybe a bodhran with a tipper mounted on a stand with a bass drum pedal, sort of like Gabriel's set up on the cover of Genesis Live (the '74 one).
I've seen fiddlers from Canada accomplish a lot with their feet (pieds, eh!).
I wish I could find a youtube video of it being done to suggest.
Its quite amazing to see as well as hear.

You can hear a bit of what André Brunet did while touring with Kevin Burke.

I saw Keith Murphy of the Nightingales (a group based in Vermont who sometimes do French Canadian music) do the pieds thing while playing guitar at the Fiddler's Gathering in Indiana last week end.

I've been working on it off and on for a year now. I can do it a little but not as well as I'd like to while playing the fiddle. I think I might need to invest in some leather soled shoes and maybe a board to put over carpeting.
Playing fiddle and and feet at the same time is quite a workout.
djm

Post by djm »

You would have to learn to tap dance first. The Cape Breton fiddlers aren't just banging their feet randomly. They are all tap dancers, too. I have several clips of Natalie MacMaster tap dancing in a chair as she plays fiddle, but none of those appear to be on YerTube.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I've wanted a good quality kazoo for some time. Why? I have a handful of whistles, never got into buying flutes, not very good at guitar, I own a keyboard . . . I don't have a lot of time to learn a new instrument and it would end up collecting dust. I figure the learning curve of the kazoo is non existant, I'd amuse myself until I turn blue laughing, and hopefully annoy people in the process.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

djm wrote:You would have to learn to tap dance first.
I started formal tap and ballet lessons when I was 6 years old.
A step dancing school opened up in the neighborhood when I was about 10 so my mother sent me there as well
(but I pulled out of that after a year because I didn't enjoy dancing as a competitive sport).

As an adult, I've never been lost on a ceili dance floor.

Now you've got me wondering.
How many here would consider their orientation to Irish music to be through dance?