Whistle Tech Talk #5...Enough's Enough!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
madguy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by madguy »

Please take this talk elsewhere!!!!

~Larry
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

Yeah, take it to the Whistle Making Forum!

John Mac
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

But why? This is probably opening a can of worms, but I don't see why Bill can't post about this stuff-- plenty of people post about all types of things. This is a *whistle* board, and these posts are *about whistles*-- not too long ago people were complaining about the lack of whistle-related posts. :razz:

I haven't the foggiest idea about making whistles, nor do I plan to make any in the future, but I can see how others might want to talk about it. Personally, I think it's rather nice to have these threads clearly labeled so that if someone is not interested, they can just skip the thread without having to wade through. JMHO.

Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
dkehoe

Post by dkehoe »

Sorry, madguy, we'll remove the gun to your head that is making you read the tech talks
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Mad. . .what gives? Talk about USEFUL information! Don't like it? Don't read it. Simple!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Larry,

While I don't agree with the tack that Bill is taking, this is the perfect place for these discussions to be going on. I say keep them going. For *years* we've been discussing whistle making here (personally, only 2 years, but others have been here talking for 4). It's certainly the topic that most interests me and many other forum folks.

So let's cut Bill a bit of a break. HOWEVER, Bill, can I make a recommendation? There's no reason to think of these posts as any more special than the others. I'd skip the whole "Whistle Tech talk" and just post a subject. If people like the subject, the'll read... if not, they won't. I read one of your tech posts that wasn't even about a topic; it was just a random mishmash of ideas. Please consider just choosing a topic and posting on that topic. It will make it much more fun for me, and I assume others, to follow or add our own thoughts (Or just keep posting under one of the "Whistle Tech Talks" if the discussion is going to be random anyway).

Anyway, them's my thoughts.
Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2002-10-28 13:00 ]</font>
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

On 2002-10-28 11:19, madguy wrote:
Please take this talk elsewhere!!!!

~Larry
Why?

If you aren't interesting in building whistles and such then by all means don't read the posts -- they are clearly labelled so that evryone knows what they are (unlike this thread).

If the forum is "the ultimate on-line whistle community" that it claims to be then the "whistle tech talk" posts do have a place here. If they don't have a place here then perhaps some serious discussion should take place as to what the purpose of the forum actually is.
bassnwhistle

Post by bassnwhistle »

IMHO, this is *exactly* where the whistle-making posts need to be. If we can talk ad nauseum about Andrea Corr and her little black dress.... errr, little black whistle, then *surely* this is the place for discussions about manufacture, design and improvement of our beloved whistles. Now if someone started a bunch of rec%#*der-making threads here, THAT would get my goat!
Ian

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bassnwhistle on 2002-10-28 13:34 ]</font>
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

Please, no 'special' forum for whistle-making. Whistles ARE whistles, making or playing. Consider this: if there's a separate forum, it's gonna be real empty, not to mention everyone has to get more hassle going there.
KT.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree that Tech Talk should remain here, and that posts, by Bill or anyone else, should be clearly labeled as such. That way, non-interested people have the option of not reading them.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-10-29 07:12, brewerpaul wrote:
I agree that Tech Talk should remain here, and that posts, by Bill or anyone else, should be clearly labeled as such. That way, non-interested people have the option of not reading them.
Hear, hear!
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-10-28 12:59, ErikT wrote:
Larry,

While I don't agree with the tack that Bill is taking, this is the perfect place for these discussions to be going on. I say keep them going. For *years* we've been discussing whistle making here (personally, only 2 years, but others have been here talking for 4). It's certainly the topic that most interests me and many other forum folks.

So let's cut Bill a bit of a break. HOWEVER, Bill, can I make a recommendation? There's no reason to think of these posts as any more special than the others. I'd skip the whole "Whistle Tech talk" and just post a subject. If people like the subject, the'll read... if not, they won't. I read one of your tech posts that wasn't even about a topic; it was just a random mishmash of ideas. Please consider just choosing a topic and posting on that topic. It will make it much more fun for me, and I assume others, to follow or add our own thoughts (Or just keep posting under one of the "Whistle Tech Talks" if the discussion is going to be random anyway).

Anyway, them's my thoughts.
Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2002-10-28 13:00 ]</font>
Hi, Erik, and thanks for being fair. The "hodgepodge" thread shifted to "tuning", as that's where it went.
As to keeping OnTopic, I'm not even going to go there! :smile: All I do is set 'em up and try to get a discussion started. Where it goes from there is up to the participants. I don't "own" the thread, so, even though I may <font size=+1>request</font> that folks stick to the topic, I won't demand it. The discussion is what it is. And sometimes, where it goes is even more interesting, so... :smile:

Thanks for your ideas, and for remaining nice, polite, and Reasonable!
Cheers, :grin:
Bill Whedon
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

On 2002-10-29 09:14, serpent wrote:
As to keeping OnTopic, I'm not even going to go there! :smile:
Actually, I'm not worried about staying on topic - I'm the last person to be accusatory there! In fact, I rather like it when the topic spins off and there becomes an interaction about people and ideas or sometimes just goofiness. I'm just in favor of starting in one place.

Here's an idea. I see that people seem to be in favor of a special indication in the topic to show that it's about manufacturing - how about "WT -". Just like "OT -", this will help folks readily identify the topic, but will not be as gangly as "Whistle Tech Talk #10020".
Thanks for your ideas, and for remaining nice, polite, and Reasonable!
Cheers, :grin:
Bill Whedon
I appreciate your presence here, Bill. It's nice to have someone excited and energitic about what they're doing. I hope that my previous posts haven't shown otherwise (it's unfortunate that my first posts were in disagreement with you, but I wasn't disagreeing with you, rather your idea).

Erik
serpent

Post by serpent »

Hmmmm... Erik raises an interesting idea! So, if the rest of y'all who have been watching the Whistle Tech Talk threads have no major objections, howzabout I go back and rename them all (except for Mike's, which he'd have to do) to like "WTT #n - whatever"
Makes sense to me! That way, you can still search on the threads via "WTT" and get 'em all with no problem! And the tech title part tells what each is about. V. Cool! :grin:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Bill, ah'll drink tae that;-)