My folk flute arrived!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My folk flute arrived!

Post by sbhikes »

Wow! It's gorgeous. The wood is so beautiful. It's a rusty orangey brown color. And the sound is so nice!

I looked at a few similarly-priced flutes after I ordered this one and I am so NOT disappointed! The folk flute is so much prettier and just seems so much nicer than all the other flutes I saw. I can't wait to start practicing. I'm only allowed a few minutes a day right now.

Thank you so much Casey. You make a beautiful flute.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Cork
antispam: No

Re: My folk flute arrived!

Post by Cork »

sbhikes wrote:Wow! It's gorgeous. The wood is so beautiful. It's a rusty orangey brown color. And the sound is so nice!

I looked at a few similarly-priced flutes after I ordered this one and I am so NOT disappointed! The folk flute is so much prettier and just seems so much nicer than all the other flutes I saw. I can't wait to start practicing. I'm only allowed a few minutes a day right now.

Thank you so much Casey. You make a beautiful flute.
Hei,

Your excitement is radiant, and my congradulations to you.

CB does make a fine flute.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

how great, i love mine too. i am glad you got it. now they are siblings.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Oh I am so bad. I couldn't help playing it for a half an hour.

It's ironic that both my flutes came on the same day. I also now have a silver concert flute, too. It's so clunky with the keys clattering away. The wooden flute is so much better. I'm determined to play Irish music on both, but I think the Irish flute will win out with general better playability.

It's going to take me time to get up to the barely kindergarten proficiency I have on the whistle, but the sound is so nice I can't help but want to practice. I like the keylessness of it. I can hold it just so in a way that lets my fingers be totally free to move without fearing the flute will fall.

I wish I could take it to the Summer Solstice parade. But I guess I'll bring my penny whistle.
~Diane

Cork

Post by Cork »

sbhikes wrote:Oh I am so bad. I couldn't help playing it for a half an hour...
Half an hour, on a new wood flute, yes, you are so bad!

:-D
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

A whole new world of fun and diversion (and occassional frustration, be warned) awaits. Welcome to the wonderful world of fluting.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Thank you. I have a question for anybody who has a flute with the same kind of thread-wrapped, waxy tenon joint. What is the best way to protect it when storing the flute? I don't want bits of junk to get stuck in the wax or to to mess up the nicely-wound threads.
~Diane

Cork

Post by Cork »

As far as I am aware, CB flutes come in a roll up, and if you are really keen on keeping those tenons clean, then perhaps a regular vacuum cleaning of the roll up, while using small, computer friendly sized vacuum tools, could be a realistic solution. Then again, there is no real need to keep too much dirt attracting grease on the tenons, and, the tenons could be gently wiped off prior to assembly.

One of the great qualities about thread wrapped tenons is that they can successfully be repaired/rebuilt at home.

My CB flute is a work of art, thank you, CB!
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

It didn't come with any kind of container. Just wrapped in paper in the box. I bought a regular flute case (for my regular flute) that has an extra pocket on the outside. The folk flute fits inside just fine, but I think it needs some additional protection. So far I just wrap it up in a silk scarf and stick it in the pocket.

Here's a picture of it:

~Diane

Cork

Post by Cork »

Very nice!

:-D
John Gribble

Post by John Gribble »

The padded two pocket bag for the Folk Flute is $20.00, if I recall correctly, and is quite nice. And I remain excited about my Folk Flute
John Gribble
gribblej@gol.com
Cork

Post by Cork »

John Gribble wrote:The padded two pocket bag for the Folk Flute is $20.00, if I recall correctly, and is quite nice...
The padded three pocket bag is quite nice, too.

Way to go!
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

The mopane also smells nice doesn't it? Don't worry too much about the thread, it will naturally move around a bit and you'll have to re-wrap at least the outside windings occasionally. Resist the urge to wrap it too tightly to stay in place, bad for the tenon. Just keep the thread greased.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Father Emmet wrote: Resist the urge to wrap it too tightly to stay in place, bad for the tenon. Just keep the thread greased.
Good point. Some days my CB fits nice and snug, and on others it's a bit loose. (Humidity changes, I guess). A two-inch length of dental floss inserted over the thread windings on those "loose" days gives a good fit.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Ralph Sweet's Resonance flute case fits the folk flute nicely as well.

You can get one on his site.

Casey's Folk flutes are truly amazing. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School