First whistle a low one?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Abe

First whistle a low one?

Post by Abe »

I'd like to learn to play the tin whistle but I find the higher pitched whistles to be too shrill for my taste. Has anybody here ever started on a low whistle? I understand they slightly more difficult to play but I think they fit more of what I'm looking for. Is this a foolish step?
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

You might want to start on a low G or low F. They're quite low pitched but considerably easier to play than low D whistles.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: First whistle a low one?

Post by Adrian »

Abe wrote:Is this a foolish step?
Perhaps not the wisest step IMO. I think you might learn more quickly with something other than a low D. On a smaller instrument you can literally play for hours without fatigue. In my early days with a low whistle 30 minutes was more than enough for my poor fingers. So, if you want lots of practice hours you might get a high whistle (or 10) in addition to the low one.

A Bb is not shrill and is easy to play. Generation make nice ones that are low cost.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I second the recommendation for a Generation Bb. I've found that even a C whistle is noticeably less shrill than a D.

I've read several accounts of people really liking their Gen Bb whistles. It seems they have a better reputation for consistency than the Ds. I do have one and it's a nice whistle - especially for the price. I think I paid $7 - $8 for it.

The low D is harder to play, of course many will say it's worth it. However, I also found that it started hurting my fingers and wrists after playing for 30-45 minutes. I was using the piper's grip. The low D will probably also take more wind to play, mine does.

Not trying to talk you out of it, if the low D is what you really want to play. However, you'll have a harder time of it, and be more likely to get frustrated.

Jason
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

my first decient whistle was a low whistle and, at first, it was harder to play. For me, it was just a matter of adjusting to the size, but if you have no experience with wind instrumetns of any sort, I imagine it would take a while to get used to so much breath?

In the end, though, choose whichever pitch you like most. It doesn't make a huge difference and you'll probably be more inspired to work at it playing an instrument you like. It's really up to you.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Why not get the low whistle and toss in a higher one on the side? You may find the low whistle to be just fine for you, and you'll have the higher one at the ready just in case.
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Abe

Post by Abe »

I should probably mention that I've played the trombone for over 10 years and I'm pretty confident with breath control on my horn. Would this make learning to play on a low D less difficult or is the whistle a different animal entirely?
jaredhoyt

Post by jaredhoyt »

I learned on a Cheiftain Low D... it's the only whistle I've played so far.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

The low D is an entirely different animal from a high D. Learning on a smaller whistle will do little to prepare you for a low D. It's not that difficult; it's just different.

I have played a long scale flamenco guitar for years as well as the GHB. I had very little difficulty with the necessary stretch on the low D or the piper's grip.

Ten years of trombone has certainly trained your breath control.

I found an interesting book; "The Low Whistle Book" by Steafan Hannigan & David Ledsam with CD. It has the info you need and de-mystifies the process. I believe Songs of the Sea has a copy: http://www.songsea.com/books.htm#WHISTLE just scroll down.

Why not? Go for it! Now you can have fun selecting your low D. Good luck, Cyril
symphony

Post by symphony »

Abe,

I'm with you - the D whistle was just too high pitched for me.

I own three low whistles - a D,G, and F, all by different makers.

If it's in your budget, I recommend a Reyburn - not just because the tone is beautiful even when a beginner plays it, but because (at least for me) it's very easy to play. Bouncing back and forth between octaves with few squeaks is a big plus because instead of spending all my practice time just trying to get a good tone and the right pitch from it, I'm actually learning tunes! Even my 12 year old sounds good on it. (But when played by an experienced player - WOW!)

Also, if it's Irish music you're going to be learning, a whistle in the key of D or G would be best because that's what most of the tunes are written in.
Yes, you can find computer programs that transpose tunes to different keys, if you don't mind one more time-consuming step. I was impatient to get started, so wasn't too interested in that.

Like the others mentioned, the low D - big hands or not, is probably not the best size to start with. When your fingers, hands and wrists aren't used to being used in that manner you get sore and stiff.

Hope that helps you.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

symphony wrote:Abe,

I'm with you - the D whistle was just too high pitched for me.

I own three low whistles - a D,G, and F, all by different makers.

If it's in your budget, I recommend a Reyburn - not just because the tone is beautiful even when a beginner plays it, but because (at least for me) it's very easy to play. Bouncing back and forth between octaves with few squeaks is a big plus because instead of spending all my practice time just trying to get a good tone and the right pitch from it, I'm actually learning tunes! Even my 12 year old sounds good on it. (But when played by an experienced player - WOW!)

Also, if it's Irish music you're going to be learning, a whistle in the key of D or G would be best because that's what most of the tunes are written in.
Yes, you can find computer programs that transpose tunes to different keys, if you don't mind one more time-consuming step. I was impatient to get started, so wasn't too interested in that.

Like the others mentioned, the low D - big hands or not, is probably not the best size to start with. When your fingers, hands and wrists aren't used to being used in that manner you get sore and stiff.

Hope that helps you.
I agree, a Reyburn would be an excellent choice for anyone.

As far as all this about sore hands. Many who started on smaller whistles and are used to using their finger tips to cover the tone holes. Their hands have developed muscle memory to play with finger tips.

Then to play the low D and other low whistles they need to adapt to the dreaded pipers grip. They have to retrain their finger's muscle memory. Often they will try to play with their finger tips and go through all kinds of contortions that will definitely make your fingers and hands sore.

Pipers have used the piper's grip for several centuries without getting sore hands. One can play the pipe chanter with one's finger tips. It's not a big stretch. They use the piper's grip because it is FASTER.

If you want to play a low D; play a low D. Embrace the piper's grip because once you are used to it you can be very speedy and play those jigs and reels. Some look at low D just for slow numbers. Not so. If you develop your piper's grip and pick a low D built for speed; you will be able to play anything. Cheers, Cyril
Last edited by CranberryDog on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

CranberryDog wrote:If you want to play a low D; play a low D. Embrace the piper's grip because once you are used to it you can be very speedy and play those jigs and reels. Some look at low D just for slow numbers. Not so. If you develop yur piper's grip and pick a low D built for speed; you will be able to play anything. Cheers, Cyril
Amen! I also started on the low whistle, a chieftain OS low D. I later tried to play "high" whistles but just didn't like them. Cyril, I wish I could find a place to quote you on my website, that sums up how I feel about the low whistle very nicely!
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There are non-shrill soprano D whistles.
Why not play one of them?
Lot easier to learn on. Cheaper too.
Really a different instrument from the low d whislte.
Also even on a shrill D whistle, there are
methods for handling the shrillness.
Whistle tutors go into this.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Just out of curiousity... Sometimes, when listening to a recording, I cannot discern the difference between a low whistle and an irish flute. Wouldn't someone who is a fan of the low whistle be more drawn towards the flute than a high whistle?
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

Great question, Steamwalker. I was too embarassed to ask myself. :oops: