How did you come up with your username ??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Cofaidh wrote:
squidgirl wrote:is there perhaps another meaning of squid to which I'm happily oblivious?
In the US military "squid" is a term used by members of the other branches when referring to a member of the Navy.
And, at least in the late 70's, we used to refer to girls who dated Naval Academy middies as "squidbait."
Denny

Post by Denny »

...an it don't take much to bait a squid!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

i know a family whose surname is "six." anything is possible, especially with gonzo.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:i know a family whose surname is "six." anything is possible, especially with gonzo.
"Six" is a patrician Dutch Huguenot name with some fair history around it. Here is a portrait of the very wealthy arts patron Jan Six, a friend of Rembrandt and painted by him:

Jan's father-in-law was also portrayed somewhere in Rembrandt's "The Anatomy Lesson of Doctor Nicolaes Tulp". Supposedly he wasn't the cadaver.

Last edited by Nanohedron on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rh

Post by rh »

I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!!!
there is no end to the walking
djm

Post by djm »

There can be unforseen difficulties with numeric names. For instance, Jan Six had an illegitimate son named Jan Fivenahalf. This son would have inherited all his father's estate but for the name.

This reminds me of the story of a man a long, long time ago, who one day suddenly wasn't full of sh!t.

But it was a long time ago ....

and it was only for one day .....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Caroluna because the Luna has been my favorite ever since I was a kid (picture Hermione Granger with a butterfly net :lol: ). They are such a beautiful shade of green....The name also has some hints of lunacy, which I thought was appropriate ;)

I love my avatar. My son found the moth in our yard and took the picture. I like how the moth is a little old and beat up but still beautiful :lol:
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Well, the nice thing about the name Bingamon is that you are less likely to suffer identity theft since few people spell it correctly. :-?
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
djm

Post by djm »

But have you ever been accused of bingamy? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Well, the nice thing about the name Bingamon is that you are less likely to suffer identity theft since few people spell it correctly. :-?
Hmmm... then I should be entirely safe... but I don't think I'll hold my breath... we get the strangest spellings of our name, and quite often it is with an invitatin to accept a credit offer of some sort... sometimes I don't think they care who you really are as long as they can get you to pay interest. :x
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I was whistling the tune in question when I signed up for this board, hence my username. I do have some odd pitchfork connections, though, as it turns out. My real name is Channing and whilst visiting a friend in China, we decided to work out what my name would be in Chinese characters. There were many possibilities to choose from and after sorting through a number of rather unsavory ones, my friend chose the characters ch? and níng (I think, I can't remember if I'm getting the tones right now...) which mean "pitchfork of tranquility." I've recently discovered that the first character when used in Cantonese (ch?a) has the slang meaning "trousers" so I suppose I could also be "trousers of tranquility" if I wanted...But I don't think that one suits me so well.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Caroluna wrote:The name also has some hints of lunacy, which I thought was appropriate ;)
Hints of lunacy are always appropriate...I wish I had thought of it first. Then I could be izzaluna or lunaizz or maybe lunarina ;)

Mine is an old one, from way back when IRC was popular. First it was Isabella, which was always taken, then shortened to Izzy, which was also always taken, and so an Italian friend of mine said I should be izzarina (I guess that sounds Italian). Since that one was never taken, except by me, it stuck. And now, as it seems, Izzy or Izz has stuck...no one ever calls me by my real name. It's a good thing I like being known as Izz.....Mr Izz isn't as fond of it, however ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Since taking up the whistle, it isn't A-Hunting I go...and it isn't A-Fishing I go... No. It's happily A-Musing.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

"Seis" was the name of my long-dead crappy "Irish band," consisting as it did of me (dedicated but at the time rather a lousy player, though better than the other members) and then three other young people who hadn't the slightest clue and wouldn't listen to the real thing. One was an amazing classical and jazz pianist, but just didn't get the Irish stuff. The other two members never even practiced anything. We sucked big time! But three of us were flute "players" of one sort or another, so that's where the "flutes" comes in. Thankfully, my username is all that remains of that band. :)
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Selective Mutism was something new to me. But I have done this two or three times as a child. Just pretend to have a sore throat, and get by with sign language for two or three days. The best bit is when you start to talk again, you throat is croaky from disuse, so no awkward questions were ever asked!
I'd love to do it again as an adult, but so much of my work takes place over the phone.
Wow, Selective Mutism. You should really post that in the "band names" thread! :)
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.