The Cure

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TXwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

The Cure

Post by TXwhistle »

I saw The Cure over the weekend in Dallas and it was so cool, I had to share. My friends and I bought tickets for the pit, knowing we would be in front of the chairs, but not realizing how close to the stage we would actually be. We ended up in the very front. Right against the fence less than five feet from the stage! If Robert Smith had reached out and I had reached out, we could have touched. It was so cool! It was part of the Curiosa Festival, so we also saw The Cooper Temple Clause, The Rapture and Interpol. Well worth a trip to the Big D, which I normally avoid. Yay!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I love The Cure. I don't get what some people say about their music being always dark and unhappy. The arrangements are intense and sometimes moody, but they must not pay attention to the lyrics. Usually there's more about love, weirdness and having fun than anything else. My favorite recording of theirs is probably Wild Mood Swings. The last track, "Bare", still rips my heart out. Played it over and over when I was going through a divorce back in the day.

I'm playing the CD now just for old times' sake. Thanks for reminding me.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Hey that's wild! I was at the gym yesterday (Tues) and the song "Love Cats" came on the sound system. I remember thinking, "Right on! I haven't heard this song in a long time!" Very Karma!
"You have my undivided attention"
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

The Cure is one of the few bands I listened to in my younger and wilder days that I still really like.
A friend in high school introduced me to their music, and it still impresses me now just as much as it did back then... really intense stuff.
I recently read that they were trying to make a comeback, and I hope they're successful.
Oh, I could be a polar bear...
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

raindog1970 wrote:I recently read that they were trying to make a comeback, and I hope they're successful.
They're current tour is selling out.

Cheers,
Aaron
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I've never heard their music (I'm very, very old) but you guys are making me curious. I guess I'll have to get one of their CDs now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

blackhawk wrote:I've never heard their music (I'm very, very old) but you guys are making me curious. I guess I'll have to get one of their CDs now.
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... >Galore</A> is my personal favorite.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

raindog1970 wrote:
blackhawk wrote:I've never heard their music (I'm very, very old) but you guys are making me curious. I guess I'll have to get one of their CDs now.
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... >Galore</A> is my personal favorite.
Thanks, Gary, that's just what I needed to know.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
jluckett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jluckett »

Great band! "One Hundred Years" and "The Hanging Garden" are still two of my all time favorite Cure songs. Then there's "Seventeen Seconds", and "The Walk"...

Terrific. It's 11:20 p.m., I have to work in the morning, and now I'm having a Cure craving.

:D
An mothaionn tu' t'inchinn ag crapadh agat?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I admit I like listening to the Cure
on cold, bleak days.

I find it warming.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I was always more of a Joy Division fan, but The Cure are definitely alright in my book.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

in [i]Disintegration[/i], Robert Smith sings what he wrote: i've been looking so long at these pictures of
you that i almost believe that they're real i've
been living so long with my pictures of you that
i almost believe that the pictures are all i can feel ....
Call me an ol romantic but I love this type of stuff.
And I like the way he weaves it with his music.

Even a religious mystic could identify with these lyrics
as well as mundane goths.
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

totally gas, i used to be a curehead (ask any dub what a curehead is), just like heaven! Dinosaur junior actually done a better version!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

[i]Disintegration[/i] sleeve notes wrote: THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD
SO TURN IT UP
I guess there is a minority of nOObs out there that needs this kind of
GUIDANCE .....
:twisted:
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Cata cata cata caterpillar girl!

Hmmm... I think I own the entire Cure catalog.

Just Like Heaven... all these years later.... still reminds me a that one girl.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert