Seery or M & E synthetic flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jared
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Seery or M & E synthetic flute

Post by Jared »

Howdie all. So I'm new to this message board thing, and am hoping I can utilize it to get me some much needed help. I am currently a whistleist (one who plays a penny and low whistle, of course) and have decided to upgrade to a flute. Here's the catch; I am in the Navy and will be running a Nuke reactor on either a sub or aircraft carrier, and will be at sea for 6 mo. stints, and assume wood will, in very short order, succomb to the salt air. I have been pointed toward either Seery delrin or M & E synthetic flutes (key of D), but am not qualified myself or know anyone else who is willing to make the call concerning which would be the instrument of choice, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

If you haven't developed an embouchure yet it probably doesn't matter much. If you have a Pratten/R&R preference then follow that, else flip a quarter.

BTW those are horrid places to learn to play flute :D

1972, South China sea, CVA64...bought flute in Hong Kong three months into a six month cruise that lasted nine.

Good luck!
Denny
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Either one's a fine flute. I've owned and played both. I currently play a keyed M&E, but that's only because of price (keys are much cheaper on an M&E).

Eric
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I suggest you get some bagpipes.

I mean if you're going to irritate a lot of sailors packed together for months in a metal tube at the bottom of the ocean by learning a new instrument you might as well really irritate them. :lol:

Doc

PS both M&Es and Seerys are lovely flutes. M&Es may be a titch more forgiving to learn on (Rudalls are easier to play than Prattens).
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Denny

Post by Denny »

bad 'nough, the flute... :wink:
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Flip a coin is probably the best idea. Both are fine Flutes, I have owned both, and either will suit the purpose.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Doc Jones wrote:I suggest you get some bagpipes.

I mean if you're going to irritate a lot of sailors packed together for months in a metal tube at the bottom of the ocean by learning a new instrument you might as well really irritate them. :lol:

Doc
Watch out, they may throw you overboard!
You could take up Bohdran... (not)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Jon C. makes fabulous delrin flutes as well.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Seery

Post by demon_piper »

Having limited experience playing an M&E and lots on several Seery's I have to say both are good instruments.

However, I find the Seery looks a little less rough, and seems a bit better in terms of construction and the attention paid on that end.

I'm also a bit biased in favour of Pratten style flutes, with large sound and the variety of tone you can hit with them.

Whichever you buy you won't be dissappointed but if I were you I would check the board, there's a Seery for sale that you should perhaps snap up.

Then you won't have to wait too long and the price will be good!

I'm playing a Seery until my Olwell arrives!
BillG

Post by BillG »

I'd go the M&E. Outstanding flute.

I played a fife on the fantail of a 311 foot cutter (USCG) during a two year stint in the South Pacific. Definitve word "fantail". Flute was yet to enter into my playing. Chromatic harmonica was less loud so I played it too. Great for Sunday AM chapel service.

Enjoy.
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

When you take the flutes apart, the M&E can fit into a shorter container than the Seery can.
Check out: Folding@Home!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The M&E has hemp/cork free joints which could save some bother while offshore.

The M&E takes a tighter embouchure and a softer blow. It's not very forgiving but when you nail it you'll get a great sound.

I believe Seery also offers a small holed model as well as the Pratten. A Pratten model is more forgiving towards a less focused embouchure but the trade off is it will need a firmer blow than if your embouchure was tightly focused.

I also second Jon C.'s flutes as much as he prefers to work in wood over delrin he has an antique flute collection to fund. :wink:

For a bit more money Paddy Ward's flutes are great too. He makes a big holed, big bored flute but they are brilliant. My flute clip is on a blackwood Ward.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

forget it ----------if you get on a sub and you hit one note they will slam it over your head----------------------they hot bunk so someone is always sleeping, plus they abstain from "ping" noise------------
Jared

And the conclusion to the (current) saga...

Post by Jared »

Got a new Terry McGee from Doc Jones; thanks all for your advise!
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey, congrats Jared! You should be very happy with Terry's flute, I'm sure, and it will no doubt serve you well.

What model is it? In Delrin I imagine, yes?

Let us know your impressions when you play it a bit. It's always good to have beginner's perspectives on their flutes too.

Have a blast!
~~~~
Barry