Comparing Jon Cochran and M&E Delrin flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Jon Cochran is starting to make keyed flutes.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Nelson wrote:Jon Cochran is starting to make keyed flutes.
I think Jon needs to answer this as last time I checked he was only fixing antique flute's keys....not starting from the ground up. Jon has the ability and tools to make a keyed flute, but I don't know if he would say that at this point he would make a fully keyed flute for someone....
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:
I think Jon needs to answer this as last time I checked he was only fixing antique flute's keys....not starting from the ground up. Jon has the ability and tools to make a keyed flute, but I don't know if he would say that at this point he would make a fully keyed flute for someone....
Yes I am making my first keyed flute, I will post photos when I get it finished.
It is a lot of fun hammering away on silver, I really feel for the Wilkes of the world! Time to get out the wax and cast the suckers!!!! :swear: Right now I am making some Wylde flat rings for it. I am also making a silver crown for it. More to come...
Jon
daiv

Post by daiv »

michael_coleman wrote:
let's just make sure the flute doesn't explode, first.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Jon Cornia makes a nice flute, and is excellent to deal with.

Now that Jon Cochran fellow, I wouldn't trust him with my Eb Pakistani Special....
:wink:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

that's the way with them Jon C.s
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by azw »

What's a fair or reasonable price for a used Jon C Rudall in delrin that's in very good condition?
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

azw wrote:What's a fair or reasonable price for a used Jon C Rudall in delrin that's in very good condition?
They're ALL in good condition. :lol: They usually go at about the same rate as a comparable Seery or M&E.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

azw wrote:What's a fair or reasonable price for a used Jon C Rudall in delrin that's in very good condition?
There was just one up on eBay on which no one bid, at a starting price of $420 + $20 shipping. It might get re-listed. Here's the original listing if you would like to contact the buyer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0142286138

I believe Jon's new price is $520 for Delrin, much higher for blackwood.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org