My attempt at a flute/whistle case...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Meadhbh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

My attempt at a flute/whistle case...

Post by Meadhbh »

I have read a number of threads regarding flute cases, what to use, how to make one, and on and on, but after this one I felt inspired to attempt making a case myself. (And, umm...my father-in-law was a big help with providing needed assistance with the power tools. :) ) I wanted something durable, that would hold my flute and whistles, but would also serve as an instrument stand. This is what I came up with:

(Just click on the pictures to see them enlarged.)
This is a six inch pvc pipe cut down to about 16 inches with a pvc cap for the lid. The lid was cut and latches attached on the sides. There are also holes in the latches that provided a place to hook a strap (which keeps it securely locked/fastened). (Say hello to Hana...she had to sneak into the picture.) :wink:

For the inside, I cut mail tubes to desired lengths, lined the bottoms with foam and the entire inside of each with felt. I also made a pattern of my tube placement, cut out cardboard and foam, and layered them to hold the tubes in place.

This is the inside of the lid. I have used sticky back velcro for the cork grease (actually chap stick) and hygrometer. My humistat will also fit there. The black circle is the padding that I made to sit on top of the inside.

And here it is as an instrument stand. :D
Of course I had to make it "pretty"...er, uh...aesthetically pleasing too...and covered it with some fabric.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Good job!
Can you work in a cup holder also? :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Meadhbh

Post by Meadhbh »

Jon C. wrote:Can you work in a cup holder also? :D
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention the the hidden thermos for a drink of choice. :wink:
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Meadhbh wrote:
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention the the hidden thermos for a drink of choice. :wink:
I didn't want to say it, but I thought you made it from a thermos... :oops:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
dow

Post by dow »

Neat design. Should hold up well, too. I think there's somebody who makes similar cases, but covers them with cordurra. I think that maybe they're made in Canada.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

dow wrote:Neat design. Should hold up well, too. I think there's somebody who makes similar cases, but covers them with cordurra. I think that maybe they're made in Canada.
http://www.caseclosed.ca/html/gallery.html

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Jon C. wrote:
Meadhbh wrote:
I didn't want to say it, but I thought you made it from a thermos... :oops:
I looked at it and thought you could probably take the insides out and it could double as a beer mug. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

kkrell wrote:
dow wrote:Neat design. Should hold up well, too. I think there's somebody who makes similar cases, but covers them with cordurra. I think that maybe they're made in Canada.

Kevin Krell
Interesting, but $265 for a flute case is a bit rich for my blood. :sniffle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Meadhbh

Post by Meadhbh »

crookedtune wrote:
kkrell wrote:

Kevin Krell
Those are the cases that initially triggered my hairbrained idea. I was overwhelmed by the price too...and so began my project. :wink:
dow

Post by dow »

kkrell wrote:

Kevin Krell
Yep, that's them. I thought about trying to make one as well, but bought a nice ($35.00) pistol case instead.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I confess.
I covet it.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dow

Post by dow »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I confess.
I covet it.
:lol:
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
michael c

Post by michael c »

The one advantage of living in the North is that flute cases are still free. In the 26 counties the one in the picture would cost 15 cents.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Meadhbh wrote:
crookedtune wrote:
Those are the cases that initially triggered my hairbrained idea. I was overwhelmed by the price too...and so began my project. :wink:
I think you should go into production, you could mark it down to $250... :twisted:
Michael Flatley

Jon
Meadhbh

Post by Meadhbh »

Jon C. wrote: I think you should go into production, you could mark it down to $250... :twisted:
For just $249.99 one of these fine, fine cases could be yours today! ...but if you call in the next 18 minutes, I'll reduce the price to $229.99 and throw in some Burt's Bees plus free shipping and handling!

:thumbsup:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: