lips going numb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

lips going numb

Post by pipersgrip »

lately for about a month now, my lips have been going numb after playing for a while. do you know the reason why, or how to stop it? thanks.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

By any chance have you been playing an Oak whistle? There was a time when Oak mouthpieces were causing this problem.
Short bio: 1952-
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

no, i dont have one of those. it happens with every whislte i am playing, is that a bad condition? is it dangerous?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

Are you wrapping your lips around your teeth, then biting down on the mouthpiece? Are you holding the whistle in your mouth with your lips instead of with your hands?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

have you recently put jet dry, duponol, soap, or something in the windways for clogging?
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

no to both furladog and Wanderer on those questions. sometimes when i hit the high notes, my lips kind of pucker. would that be it? i have been trying out to figure why.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

My lips sometimes go numb if I drink too much.

I can't see how they could go numb playing the whistle. Aren't your lips kind of, well, inert basically? It's not like you have to worry about embouchure.

Even so, I can't see how tensing the lips could cause numbness. Soreness, yes. But numbness. That is very strange. I hope you find the cause. You don't suppose maybe you are allergic to some of your whistles?
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Belgian_Waffle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

If I drink too much, my whole body goes numb, soon followed by my brain :lol:
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Once, I had a similar sensation when I played pipes; numbness on the upper lip where it formed around the blow pipe; as opposed to a stiff upper lip. I think I rather imagined that both lips were numb as I was putting extra pressure on the blow pipe because I did not have a stiff upper lip.

It happened that I had a dental appointment and I found from the dentist that I had a sinus infection. No big deal, a few pills and numbess was banished. Best, Cyril.
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Belgian_Waffle wrote:
If I drink too much, my whole body goes numb, soon followed by my brain :lol:

I'm just the opposite--The brain goes first, then eventually the body! :twisted:
Tia

Post by Tia »

hmm, it could be the way your sitting/standing, try playing in different positions, also make sure that your not clenching your lips too much, whatch yourslef play in front of a mirror, or get someone to watch you, If this is a recnet thing, then its proabably becase you changed the way you've been playing, or your playing alot more
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I've had a numbness with only one whistle ... a Water Weasel. Tried several things to figure out what the problem was. Ended up being the red material in the fipple block, giving me the distinction of the only person to ever have a reaction to it according to Glenn. If you are playing whistles that are mainly one material type (aluminum, brass, delrin, etc ) you might consider a mild reaction as one possible reason for the numbness.

Judy
symphony

Post by symphony »

Is this a new whistle and/or does it seem to be the same whistle that causes this? Perhaps the head itself just vibrates in way that makes your lips numb.
azw

Allergy to bamboo flute?

Post by azw »

I have a related question. Has anyone heard of an allergic reaction to bamboo? (I'd guess we can be allergic to just about anything.) I've been tooting on a bamboo flute and recently my lower lip where it contacts the flute feels irritated whenever I play. It's a mild burning sensation. I'm going to try the tape idea to see if that helps.
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

I don't play whistle much and I used to have a slight numbness problem when I did play. I figured out that I wasn't relaxing my lips enough, instead they were tightening around the whistle to hold it in place. I concentrated on relaxing my mouth more, and poof, everything's better.