How did you come up with your username ??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Well my name is David and I am on the large side, so I get called Big Davy - hence the forum name.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

emmline wrote:
Cofaidh wrote:Cofaidh is simply Gàidhlig for Coffee.
I love it. Is it pronounced the same?
Pretty much the same yeah. "Coffay" or something like that. Maybe folks with more experience with Gàidhlig could chime in on that.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I used to play a computer game known as EverQuest on a roommate's account and had a druid in that game. Choosing a nature-related name for my character, I initially chose Steamrunner, which was a class of ship seen in Star Trek: First Contact.
Anyways, when I started up my own account, I chose Steamwalker since Steamrunner was obviously taken.
Jack

Post by Jack »

My name is Cranberry A. Jones.

No it's not. But it would be cool if it was.

It was just random, more-or-less.
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

Mine is a tribute to our own Jerry Freeman and his Mellow Dog (yes, I own one and I love it). I am of Yugoslav descent, and the Balkan equivalent of the tin whistle is the frula, a wooden fipple flute fingered exactly the same as a tin whistle. The major difference is the ornamentation - trills instead of rolls and crans.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Cofaidh wrote:Cofaidh is simply Gàidhlig for Coffee, which is my user name on most forums. I've taken that as my preferred nickname, what with Chris being so common, and being a coffee afficianado. (Considering the thought of getting my beans green and home-roasting.)
I wondered if that wasn't the case! I've been pronouncing it "coffee."

Irish for "coffee" is "caife", and is pronounced KAF-ay (kinda like the French "café," but with the emphasis on the first syllable).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

For many years, I was "erbivrus" on most internet forums (Americans who sound it out will get it...folks from England tack on an "h" at the beginning and you'll get it too). It was my North Carolina personalized license plate. Folks who knew me well on-line tended to call me "erbie."

I switched away from erbivrus when I started posting on non-vegetarianism-related forums. I've always liked wolves, and since my hair is (er, was) dark auburn, "Redwolf" seemed nice. I was also living in North Carolina at the time, where the plight of the American red wolf was a major story, so it seemed apt.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

my best friend didn't know there was a difference between moot and mute. the unique spelling is due to a website where the more basic variations of mootpoint were taken. i would also like to never have to talk again. i used to have another nic at the msn gaming zone but it kept good people away from my table that i decided to give it up. i have a different nic there now.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mine was bestowed upon me by the Borg. It's strictly honorary until I get like a hip replaced or something, and then I'm in.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

mutepointe wrote:my best friend didn't know there was a difference between moot and mute. the unique spelling is due to a website where the more basic variations of mootpoint were taken. i would also like to never have to talk again. i used to have another nic at the msn gaming zone but it kept good people away from my table that i decided to give it up. i have a different nic there now.
Selective Mutism was something new to me. But I have done this two or three times as a child. Just pretend to have a sore throat, and get by with sign language for two or three days. The best bit is when you start to talk again, you throat is croaky from disuse, so no awkward questions were ever asked!
I'd love to do it again as an adult, but so much of my work takes place over the phone.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

People could think that I love squirrels particularly (even if they are really pretty).
But I chose this username beacause I like the sound of the word.
Sorry for my bad english...
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
mutepointe wrote:my best friend didn't know there was a difference between moot and mute. the unique spelling is due to a website where the more basic variations of mootpoint were taken. i would also like to never have to talk again. i used to have another nic at the msn gaming zone but it kept good people away from my table that i decided to give it up. i have a different nic there now.
Selective Mutism was something new to me. But I have done this two or three times as a child. Just pretend to have a sore throat, and get by with sign language for two or three days. The best bit is when you start to talk again, you throat is croaky from disuse, so no awkward questions were ever asked!
I'd love to do it again as an adult, but so much of my work takes place over the phone.
i would have so gotten my clocked cleared as a child if i had pulled something like this. when the movie, "little miss sunshine" came out, my brother e mailed me and my wife said to me (in the same day) DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. THAT WOULD JUST BE EXTRA WORK FOR US!.

congratulations on pulling that off though. wasn't it worth it?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
sturob

Post by sturob »

My given names are Stuart Robert.

Pretty much the same story as a lot of folks; sturob came from trying to find some variation of Stuart Robert that wasn't taken when I was getting a username on my first email account.

My email name is slightly more interesting. Slightly.

It's stuarthalothane @ mac dot com. My surname is Hall; when I finally got a dot-mac account, EVERYthing I tried was taken. So, since I'm an anesthesiologist (or anaesthetist for those outside the US), and halothane is an anesthetic vapor, there you go.

Stuart
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

jsluder = first initial + last name

Boring, eh? I've been tempted to ask Dale or Rich to change it to "slood", which is what I'm often called on the forum. In fact, I am "slood" on a couple of hiking forums. (I've also considered switching to "Sludicus".)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I contemplated using my Christian name, but I thought my surname to be more common, and thus anonymous. I was wrong about that, but it's what I thought at the time.
Reasonable person
Walden