Friendly Proposition

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Please opine.

Good idea
42%
Bad idea
58%

Total votes: 73

azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by azw »

What's interesting to me is that the discussion has shaped our opinions. The counts on the poll have shifted dramatically over the past 12 or so hours from overwhelmingly positive to just over the line into negative.

To me, that's a good sign that we're able to read each others' messages and then decide for ourselves what weight to place on the different perspectives.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

You can install a reputation system into phpBB, if you want. Won't help much since the feckers get the same vote as everyone else.
/Bloomfield
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

azw wrote:What's interesting to me is that the discussion has shaped our opinions. The counts on the poll have shifted dramatically over the past 12 or so hours from overwhelmingly positive to just over the line into negative.
How do you figure that out, mate?

Like did you get to vote again or something?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Dale wrote:I like this idea.
Perhaps you could simply refer to
Mitch wrote:.......
However! We all have a profile that can be viewed by others. From when I first signed-up, it was my understanding that one's profile should be filled in to give others an idea of who they are dealing with.

For those who neglect to put anything in their profile, can we assume they regard themselves as "nothing" ?

and amend the profile setup by adding history/experience/fame/credentials field/s. Or maybe a field "musical background" could cover it.

Voila!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Yeah but - I can honestly say that I've been playing the penny whistle for nearly 30 years, but that might imply that I should warrent expert status, which would be a travesty of the highest degree.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

so ya got a problem with travesty? :wink:

okay, okay...

under anniemcu they can put
"Highness of Travesty"
walrii

Post by walrii »

Kerry wrote:Personally I just look at someone's avatar and if I looks good I trust their judgement regarding whistles. :wink:
This will be a good year for shellfish. Try the oysters in July.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

anniemcu wrote:Yeah but - I can honestly say that I've been playing the penny whistle for nearly 30 years, but that might imply that I should warrent expert status, which would be a travesty of the highest degree.
Wow, I feel so much better now, Annie; I've only been struggling with it less than half that time. Yep, penny whistle is such an "easy" instrument...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
azw

Post by azw »

Hey, Talasiga.

The software doesn't allow us to vote again or change our vote (unless you register more than once).

I just noted the numbers when I voted and again 10 hours later. The new votes must have been overwhelmingly negative.
talasiga wrote:
azw wrote:What's interesting to me is that the discussion has shaped our opinions. The counts on the poll have shifted dramatically over the past 12 or so hours from overwhelmingly positive to just over the line into negative.

keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

I voted No because I think whistle selection and playing is subjective. That's the beauty of the tin whistle - its so pure and personal an expression of the whistler. No whistle sounds alike, no playing sounds alike; interpretations are unique. Whistlers are not universally conformist, nor are they uniformly anarchistic. They're authentic, which is why whistling rouses such singular emotions in players and listeners. Its oxymoronic to suggest you can set universal whistle and whistling standards and insist everyone be judged by them. Whistlers are at their highest and best and most real when whistling because whistling makes them so. The best dont play their whistle, they're whistle plays them... Whistles and whistlers - love 'em or tear yer hair out...

Keith. (Intermediate on a Sandy Jasper hand-made Elf Song Low D, and hand tuned C and D sopranos also by Sandy, plus a Clarke Original, Clarke MEG, and a feral Feadog... I am a severe WHOAD case).
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I voted 'Good Idea'.

I trust that Dale could identify 6-12 true experts on the Board. A setup like this would have kept me from shoving my foot in my mouth on several occasions. It really takes time for a newb to figure out that there are world-class players, scholars, and builders in here with we punters.

Either way, it's fine with me. Thanks for bringing up the idea, Doc.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Interesting. The poll here heavier on the "good idea" voters than in the pub.
I'd hazard a guess that the population here is skewed in favor of folks who--at this moment in time--are a little more fixated on the instrument, its manufacture, and its playability than those of us who are more inclined to be talking about the weather.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

First reading the suggestion, I thought "cool idea!". Then I ran through the list of several people that would probably be granted "Grand Poobah" status. IMO, there are some who generally give the newbies a cold shoulder and ignore requests for advice, or tell them to use search to find the answer. (I've used search looking for things ... who has time to sift through 3267 threads to sort out what you're looking for?) There are other experts here that are wonderful in helping people out. It really doesn't take too long to form your own opinion as to who the helpful people are, or as to who the most knowledgeable are. As said in this thread, before good advice can come from another newbie.

.... just an inexpert opinion .... :)
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

azw wrote:Hey, Talasiga.

The software doesn't allow us to vote again or change our vote (unless you register more than once).

I just noted the numbers when I voted and again 10 hours later. The new votes must have been overwhelmingly negative.
talasiga wrote:

I am sorry Buddy. You just don't get my point do you?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

emmline wrote:......I'd hazard a guess that the population here is skewed in favor of folks who--at this moment in time--are a little more fixated on the instrument, its manufacture, and its playability than those of us who are more inclined to be talking about the weather.
posse instrumentalis versus posse convivialis
:o