update and anniversary

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

update and anniversary

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Five years ago today with the surgeon's help and skill I said goodby to part of my anatomy and the cancer it hosted. Last week at my annual I was still free.

Today I'm adding new sound bites to match the new instruments on Re-instruments at my website. http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/

This is not a career change!
Whistles are still my mainstay. Mostly of the quiet non wood kind. I love wood and I got (have) wood and as a retired carpenter I kind of understand wood.

And I kind of understand the reluctance of folks to get wooden whistles.

That doesn't keep me from being a little disappointed!

They are available!

Regards to all!
Mack
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Congrats on the five year mark.

Woot!

A best friend of mine finally has her hair back.

Things are looking good so far!

I'll check out the new stuff on yur site.

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by weedie »

Lets hope that you're around for a long time yet Mack,the world needs more people like you.......
Cheers from Charlie in Australia.........
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I love wood whistles and I am sure I will be buying one from you in the near future.
scottkent

Re: update and anniversary

Post by scottkent »

Mack.Hoover wrote:Five years ago today with the surgeon's help and skill I said goodby to part of my anatomy and the cancer it hosted. Last week at my annual I was still free.

Today I'm adding new sound bites to match the new instruments on Re-instruments at my website. http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/

This is not a career change!
Whistles are still my mainstay. Mostly of the quiet non wood kind. I love wood and I got (have) wood and as a retired carpenter I kind of understand wood.

And I kind of understand the reluctance of folks to get wooden whistles.

That doesn't keep me from being a little disappointed!

They are available!

Regards to all!
Mack
Congrats...didn't I read somewhere (Lance Armstrong stories possibly) that the recidivisim (I speak 4 languages and can't spell worth a darn in any of them, probably due to learning 4 languages) after 5 years is so negligable that doctors on the whole consider a patient cured at that point?
Anyhoo...congrats.
Now about your other statement...I take exception to it :wink: ...in fact I prefer wood whistles to anything else. But then again, I'm not an Iriah trad player for the most part and I'm not trying to be heard in a session. I like wood whistles for the character and the feel. Wood and bamboo sound great, and different. I fully intend to buy one of your whistles. I do wish there were more pictures of the wood whistles you have for sale on your site (unless you're not making any until ordered). I've been debating for some time now between your low G and a Burke composite Low G. I've recently started leaning toward yours and possible getting a Burke A or F later. But I've also been very busy getting ready for several trips comming up. So please, could I see a bit more of your wooden whistles?
Last edited by scottkent on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

There are more wood pictures here: http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/whistlepictures.htm

My question is if Mack produces wood whistles in other keys than Low G? High D perhaps? :)
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

Steamwalker wrote:There are more wood pictures here: http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/whistlepictures.htm

My question is if Mack produces wood whistles in other keys than Low G? High D perhaps? :)
I edited what I wrote...I realized that I didn't convey what I meant (it's late). I was hoping for pictures of whistles currently for sale...unless he only makes them upon order.
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

An excellent milestone indeed! Congratulations!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Now that's an anniversary worth celebrating! Great news, Mack!

And the wood whistles look great. I don't have a G from you and it's very tempting, but I've had a lot of expenses lately. Maybe when my finances improve.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
azw

Post by azw »

I'm happy to hear that Mack! And I'm double happy today playing your whistles!
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Wonderful news! Congratulations on the anniversary/milestone...cancer is one of the scariest words in the English language and I can't even imagine the emotional/psychological rollercoaster you must've been on during the past 5 years.

As for wood, I'm a bit of an oddity here in that my WhOA led me to acquire inexpensive wooden ethnic flutes as a form of playable folk art. As a country girl I love the woods and trees, and love to walk in the woods on my place, surrounded by giant tulip poplars, bone white sycamores, rugged black walnut and ash, mulbery, hickory, persimmon, dogwood, redbud, and elderberry. I admire the skill it takes for someone such as yourself to craft something beautiful from it. metal and plastic just don't compare, at lest not for me.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

YAY!! Congrats on hitting the 5 year mark, Mack!! Image

Great wooden whistles, great person making them ... stay healthy.

Judy
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Words are inadequate. You have made my day, Mack.

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Congrats! 5 years is a major, major milestone!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
preacher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I'll add my Hallaluja for ya