I've been playing for two hours, now I want a new whistle...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Fantod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Fantod »

....but first, some back-story...

I played the oboe from the time I was 14 to about 21. I was a music major in college in music education, but became burned out and switched to writing. I had become disillusioned with music as a major (I wasn't good enough to play professionally and I didn't want to teach) so I sold my oboe and never played again. I still played my bass guitar, and played in and out of bands since then. This was about 13-14 years ago.

For Christmas, my mother bought me a Clarke "Meg" Tin-Whistle starter set, kind of as a gag gift. I played around with it on Christmas day, then promptly forgot about it. I got it out tonight, and realized it was very, very similar to the oboe, both with fingerings, breathing, and techniques. I was quickly playing all kinds of songs, much to the amazement of my wife! The half-hole technique is almost identical, and even my vibrato came back.

The back of my Meg Whistle has a raised seam going down the length of the instrument. Is this seam a necessary part of the instrument, or is it simply a byproduct of the manufacturing process? I ask because it's a bit uncomfortable on my thumbs, and I've already started to get a blister on my left thumb! Are these raised seams present on all tin whistles? Can they be sanded down, or does that affect the sound of the instrument?

My other question is, I'd like a whistle with a more mellow, woodier, "natural" sounding timbre, especially in the higher octave. I've read some postings here and seen the Clarke "Original" Tinwhistle is very popular. I like the idea of the wooden mouthpiece. Are there any others I might consider in the "inexpensive" price range?

All replies, welcomed, and thanks in advance!

Tim
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Tim, the Clarke Original also has the seam in the back - yes, it's part of the mfg process for the Clarkes. But the Clarke original and the Sweetone (almost idential to your meg) are generally less sharp on the seam.

You might try picking up some of the cheap cylindrical whistles and avoid the seam altogether. Most are $10 or less - I particularly like the Feadog and the Walton's Mello D (not the regular Walton's).

For a little more ($20-40 range), a Jerry Freeman tweeked whistle or one of the Dixon or Susato all-plastic whistles is a good bet. I usually have a couple of Dixons in my carry-on bag when I travel by air.

Just my 2 cents -
Dana
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

First, you're actually a bit behind the WHOA curve - the ratio is wanting one whistle for every hour played initially. Second, there are so many great whistles out there, and IMO, the Clarke original is one of them. But be warned, the Clarke original is a type wherein the problem you're having probably occurs more often than in most, i.e., the rolled tin occasionally sharp under edge. Most whistles don't present this problem. You'll find the sharp rolled edge sometimes in any of the Clarkes (whatever variation, including e.g., Celtic, Sweetone, etc.) and Shaws because they are made that way, conical metal with a seam. If that bothers you, there are other cheap readily available and wonderful whistles including Generations, Waltons, Faedogs, etc., and then others that are in the mid range cost - Susato, Dixon, Syn, etc. Higher end whistles include Burkes (a variety of brass, nickel or composite), Sindts, Copelands, Abells, Busmans, etc. The latter two available in both woods and delrin bodies with delrin fipples.

Once really hooked, you can begin the search for the holy grail O'Riordans in wood or anodized aluminum. Then try some Chieftains and Overtons - big beautiful cylindrical thick walled aluminum....

Think carefully before treading this slippery slope... :twisted:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
walrii

Post by walrii »

What took you so long?

Seriously, welcome to C&F. The seam on the Meg is a by product of manufacturing. You can sand it smooth as long as you don't open the seam. You could also put some tape where your thumbs rest; medical tape would have some texture and provide a "non-skid" surface. Most whistles do not have the seam. You'll get plenty of advice shortly about the various makes but there many inexpensive brands made with brass or aluminum tubing that are smooth all the way round. I like Feadogs and Generations myself.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
walrii

Post by walrii »

walrii wrote:You'll get plenty of advice shortly...
See? Philo and DCrom type faster than I.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

Not in the inexpensive price range, but the ultimate (IMHO) wood whistle is the Sweetheart Pro D.
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

You can buy wooden whistles. They come up for sale here all the time. There's a nice apple wood whistle I was reading about today in low G.

I bought a cheap, $8 bamboo low G whistle made in India the other day. It's very mellow. Probably not in tune, but it's in tune with itself at least as much, if not more, than the Generation Bb I also have.

But before you dismiss your whistles as being cheap or whatever you should listen to some Irish music and you will hear that sound your D whistle makes is integral to the music. It's beautiful.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

As others have pointed out, the clarke 'original''s seam is a product of the manufacturing process, and isn't essential to the sound. AFAIK, no other common whistle has it.

No other whistle has the unique clarke sound, either, for that matter. I find I like the sound enough to have learned to tolerate the seam. I just stopped noticing it, probably at the same time as I stopped feeling like the whistle was going to fall out of my mouth. I suspect that my fingers learn to hold the whistle with the minimum force necessary for every fingering position, and that did the trick.

Sure, buy a bunch of whistles and try them out--everyone does, and even expensive whistes are cheap compared to any other instrument. I found in the end that I settled on three or four whistles that I played to the exclusion of all others. Two of those are the Clarke C and D whistles.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

scottkent wrote:Not in the inexpensive price range, but the ultimate (IMHO) wood whistle is the Sweetheart Pro D.
LOL. The ultimate? Certainly nice, I own one too.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

s1m0n wrote:As others have pointed out, the clarke 'original''s seam is a product of the manufacturing process, and isn't essential to the sound. AFAIK, no other common whistle has it.
Shaws have the seam as well.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: I've been playing for two hours, now I want a new whistl

Post by crookedtune »

The Fantod wrote:
Can they be sanded down, or does that affect the sound of the instrument?

Tim
I find that seam annoying on Clarke whistles. I imagine a piece of tape, or maybe a drip of candle wax or nail polish over the seam would smooth it out enough that it wouldn't be an issue.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

CranberryDog wrote:
scottkent wrote:Not in the inexpensive price range, but the ultimate (IMHO) wood whistle is the Sweetheart Pro D.
LOL. The ultimate? Certainly nice, I own one too.
Hey...until I get my hands on a Lon Dubh, I'm standing by that comment. I don't think there is a better wood whistle. At least not as consistantly good. (OK, O'Rierdon's probably top them, but who can get their hands on one of those?)
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

scottkent wrote:(OK, O'Rierdon's probably top them, but who can get their hands on one of those?)
Or Greenwoods for that matter. :wink:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Welcome to the madness that is WhOAd and this asylum. :)

I don't have a real suggestion for your tonal preferences, except to try a bunch of them through tours, stores, friends who whistle, if you aren't prepared to purchase an over-abundance (yes, there *is* such a thing, no matter what other qoutes of mine you may find) of whistles.

Anytime you get a new one, it will likely be your fave for a while, until you get over the honeymoon and begin to see the warts and socks on the BR floor... like new shoes, they may seem perfect at first, but you have to walk in them a while to decide if the blisters are worth it... *then* you will begin to find your true soulmates and even then, certain tunes are gonna suit your tastes differently on different whistles... it's a long, steep, and slippery slope, trust me. :o :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
riverman

Post by riverman »

Greetings, Tim!
If your left tumb is getting sore, you're holding the whistle too tight. I find myself doing that sometimes too. You'll never get speed until you relax, and sometimes that takes conscious thought.
With a relaxed grip, I found the Clarke Original to be the absolute best among the cheapie whistles, in my opinion, although it does take more wind.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.