Martini???

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I, too, deprecate vodka "martinis." There was an interesting article about gin and martinis in the NY Timesrecently.

To quote:
... It’s come to my attention that some people believe martinis are made with vodka. I hate to get snobbish about it, but a martini should be made with gin or it’s not a martini. Call it a vodkatini if you must, but not a martini. Gin and vodka have as much in common hierarchically as a president and a vice president. Vodka can fill in for gin from time to time and might even be given certain ceremonial duties of its own, but at important moments you need the real thing. Vodka generally makes a poor substitute for gin in a martini or any other gin cocktail.

The panel found common ground here. Each of us is partial to the classic martini made with gin, although Audrey was sensitive to the desires of her clientele.

“You have to revisit which generation is drinking the martini,” she said. “We might be classicists, but is the newer generation?”

Still, after perhaps 8 or 10 martinis, Audrey fessed up, referring at one point to “a generation lobotomized by vodka.”

Indeed, gin is more of a thinking person’s spirit. Vodka is neutral in aroma and flavor, which is also how gin begins life. But where vodka stays neutral, gin is infused with botanicals — a witch’s pantry of roots, berries, herbs, dried fruits and spices — dominated by the piney, breezy aroma of juniper berries. Other common botanicals include angelica, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, lemon peel, licorice, fennel and ginger. It is the closely guarded combination of botanicals that makes each gin distinctive.

The dividing line between vodka and gin has always been the addition of juniper to gin. But among the spirits sold as gin today, some have reduced juniper to a secondary component while others seem to have dispensed with it altogether. We found that cardamom was prominent in quite a few of the 20 gins we had stirred into martinis.

“You see cardamom over and over,” Audrey said. “It’s exciting but you have to guard the category or you’ll just be drinking flavored vodkas.”
/Bloomfield
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ oz. Hendrick's Gin
¾ oz. Dry Vermouth

PREPARATION
Stir Vermouth and Hendrick's Gin over ice cubes in mixing glass. Strain into martini glass. Serve with cucumber slice.

I alter this recipe (from the distiller) with a good shake or two.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Guinness martini:

I part Guinness: 2 parts Guinness: 5 parts Guinness.

Works for me. :D
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
djm

Post by djm »

buddhu wrote:Guinness martini
I would recommend NOT shaken. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

brianc wrote:Image

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ oz. Hendrick's Gin
¾ oz. Dry Vermouth

PREPARATION
Stir Vermouth and Hendrick's Gin over ice cubes in mixing glass. Strain into martini glass. Serve with cucumber slice.

I alter this recipe (from the distiller) with a good shake or two.
What's the gin like???? I saw that at my "local"
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Best martini in the world is made from Santa Cruz's own "Sarticious" gin (though Bombay Sapphire and Junipero run second and third, respectively).

http://www.sarticious.com/

(Trust an Anglican chorister to know good gin! See what I was doing a couple of weeks ago? http://www.calvarysantacruz.org/ginsing/ginsing07.html )

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

chrisoff wrote:
Eldarion wrote:Mocha Martini

2.5 Oz Vodka
0.5 Oz Kahlua
1.0 Oz Creme de Cacao
Surely a more accurate name for that would be a Mocha Russian? Seeing as a white russian is vodka, kahlua and cream (or milk in a cheap bar). A black russian is the same but with coke replacing the cream.
You could think about it that way, but since a basic chocolate martini is Vodka and Creme de Cacao, it makes more sense to call it a mocha martini. Plus, its often served in a martini glass so yeah..
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I'm going to be tiresomely insistent on this point because I have a lot of spare time.
You could think about it that way, but since a basic chocolate martini is Vodka and Creme de Cacao, it makes more sense to call it a mocha martini. Plus, its often served in a martini glass so yeah..
Neither of those drinks are martinis. They are often served in cocktail glasses, just like martinis are, but that same glass is used for manhattans, stingers, sidecars, gimlets, cosmopolitans, negronis, jack roses, and many other classic cocktails that are not martinis.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Eldarion wrote:
chrisoff wrote:
Eldarion wrote:Mocha Martini

2.5 Oz Vodka
0.5 Oz Kahlua
1.0 Oz Creme de Cacao
Surely a more accurate name for that would be a Mocha Russian? Seeing as a white russian is vodka, kahlua and cream (or milk in a cheap bar). A black russian is the same but with coke replacing the cream.
Coke? I don't know anyone who uses Coke in a Black Russian! Blech!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Redwolf wrote:
Eldarion wrote:
chrisoff wrote: Surely a more accurate name for that would be a Mocha Russian? Seeing as a white russian is vodka, kahlua and cream (or milk in a cheap bar). A black russian is the same but with coke replacing the cream.
Coke? I don't know anyone who uses Coke in a Black Russian! Blech!

Redwolf
Yeah I did some research, it appears the bar I mostly drink cocktails in does those wrong. Ah well, it's cheap.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I'm not fond of martinis, but I DO like these:

A Cosmopolitan....made with vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice, lime juice, and a lemon twist, served in a Martini glass (which of course makes it fit with the topic). Yum! Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's pink....I do rather enjoy that part as well ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I make a mean Cosmo and my Lemon Drops are a big fave.

I have to be careful... last cocktail soiree I attended I ended up defacto mixologist.

Many happy boyfriends and husbands that evening. ;) :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Ro3b wrote:I'm going to be tiresomely insistent on this point because I have a lot of spare time.

Neither of those drinks are martinis.
Yes yes we get your point but I think its too late for the martini purists to stop the usage of the word "martini" as a suffix to flavours when refering to vodka drinks in cocktail glasses. Its so common that the names "apple martini/appletini", "chocolate martini", "lychee martini" are accepted in many cocktail bars and are written as such in the drink menus. Something like guitars and ITM I think, you may not like it but its hard to deny they've been assimilated into the general sound of ITM nowadays. :wink:
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

ITM?

Incorruptible Traditional Martini or Instant Tart/Trollop Maker?

;) :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert