stupid stupid stupid

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: stupid stupid stupid

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:I was cutting up an onion this evening for supper and managed to slice off part of the end of my left middle finger.
Wait, lemme guess: Gordon Ramsay was there in the kitchen screaming and cursing at you? Enough to make anyone slip.....

Speedy recovery to you brother.

Loren
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Condolences, it's a b*gg*r but these things happen. I last did it with absent mindedly picking up a red hot pan, no playing for nearly 3 weeks while the finger tip blisters went through their life cycle. On the bright side you can probably lose quite a bit of finger and still move on to the piping grip! :x
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Chas, best wishes for a speedy recovery and quick return to playing! These things happen. Make sure you get the right medical attention.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

OW! Poor bunkie. :-( :-( :-(

And a tip (pardon the pun!) for knife-wielding musician types -- it takes practice, but you can stabilize a tomato or onion or even a head of lettuce with just your knuckles -- i.e., with your fingers curled into your palm, so no stray appendages project into the knife's path. I've done work for some internationally-known hand surgeons, and that's the method 5 out of 5 of those doctors recommend ....

Anyway, fast healing to you, chas. On the plus side -- any old fingerprint files are out of date ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

BTW Chas please be very careful with a cheese plane. :) They can do some real damage.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

http://www.overbooked.org/satterthwait/ ... oulet.html

Hey Chas,
Sorry you're in such a state! Check out this short story -- see if you could find someone else to donate the key ingredient for your next dinner party!

How's it looking now? My doctor uses superglue when she cuts her fingers, since she's not allowed to wear bandages in the examining room. Maybe you could reconstruct your fingertip and it'd be elastic enough to cover the hole.

Jennie
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Well after the cayenne pepper application (see Jared's board, can't discuss it here), I was able to play tonight. It's partly that the wound wasn't as bad as last time, but not entirely. I'm really pleased.

Cheers,
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Chas, so sorry this happened to you--glad it's healing up.

Be careful out there!

carrie
candis bowen

Post by candis bowen »

What I want to know for all you kitchen accidentees, did you eat the food?

Candi
Horses, flutes & books – what's life without 'em?
chas

Post by chas »

candis bowen wrote:What I want to know for all you kitchen accidentees, did you eat the food?

Candi
Absolutely. Thing about an injury like this is, it doesn't start bleeding for several seconds. (There's something eldritch about the flat white patch of freshly exposed flesh before the blood starts flowing.) The little flap of skin is not hard to find and dispose of.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I was thinking, after soundly smacking my thumb with a framing hammer yesterday, that I really should count my blessings. An aquaintance of mine has bad nerve damage in his hands from repeated freezing on Arctic treks. Because of the lack of sensation, he is on a first-name basis with the entire emergency room staff.

His last escapade was affixing himself to a wooden frame (he's a sign installer) while at the top of a tall ladder. He had fired the second spike through his palm before realising he was going to need a bit of help.

BTW, while I don't recommend it, injuring the left thumb is a great way to fix grip problems on flute. Another blessing, I guess.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

it's always the little things in life, innit! :wink:
chas

Post by chas »

[deleted post that remained while I was editing it.)
Last edited by chas on Mon May 11, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
chas

Post by chas »

So, I'm two years older and no smarter, or possibly at my age, two years stupider. I had a twofer this weekend.

The injury came when I was putting out some recycling. I had something like 3-4 bottles and a couple of cans, so I did what any stupid person would do and put my fingers in the mouths, including the mouths of the cans. I'm tossing them into the bin, and let out a scream heard by the neighbors as one can sliced well into my index finger. It bled like crazy, but it's a good clean cut, so is healing nicely.

The other one only involves beer. I say "only," but I take beer as seriously as Henke takes whisky. About three months ago, I was making a ginger wheat and had two packets of yeast in the fridge -- one Danish lager, the other Bavarian wheat. So I took out one of the packets, made a starter, and carefully labeled the jar I put it in as well as the one for future use, "Bavarian wheat." When I went to put the jar in the fridge, I noticed that the packet that was still in there said "Bavarian wheat." So I made a lager out of the ginger wheat beer. Just bottled it last week, so I don't know how it turned out yet. So yesterday I got out that jar that said "Bavarian wheat" on it. And made a raspberry wheat. And it still wasn't Bavarian wheat yeast. So I'm making a raspberry wheat lager. Should be interesting.

Edited to add my nomination for the "sufficiently motivated fool" award for today (and this is NOT me): The fire alarm in my building went off at about 3 today, and we were all evacuated. The fire department shows up and, about 15 minutes later, they emerge with the explanation. Evidently someone had hooked a garden hose up to the sprinkler system. This triggered a low pressure alarm, indicating that there was a malfunction in the sprinkler system, hence no protection against a fire, so the alarm went off. It would never occur to me to hook a hose up to the sprinkler system.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

chas wrote:It would never occur to me to hook a hose up to the sprinkler system.
That's what alpha and beta testers are for. For the stuff that no one in their right mind would ever think of doing. Which is, of course, exactly the first thing that someone does. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.