Buyer Beware -- "Tin Whistle" crap now on Amazon

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jileha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Well, this explains it...

Post by jileha »

http://www.amazon.com/Bagpipe-Composer- ... 28-2793406
http://www.amazon.com/Tin-Whistle-Music ... 28-2793406

He's using his own software for the recordings... :lol:

How can anybody call that "soulful"? And even buy these recordings? :boggle: :-?
trill

CD ...

Post by trill »

My favorite review title:

"Tin eared robotic whistle music from the Isle of Hell".

Thanks for the good laugh Aanvil!

(I listened and agree entirely)
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

But hearing samples of this CD has done a most wondrous thing -- it caused my extreme whistle-sceptic roommate to acknowledge that there are indeed worse quasi-musical sounds than me practicing my whistles.

Also, you guys' comments over at Amazon had her laughing so hard that she was unable to string words together. Good job!
Bruno Sa

Post by Bruno Sa »

Hehehe look at this review of the "Whistle Composer" thing:

"Bought this for my brother - he learned 3 tunes in 4 hours after years of trying to pick up instruments with no success he got this and learned a tune with NO professional lessons!"

:boggle:

Well, if the tunes are on the same level of the CD tracks, nevermind.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Wait...hey, that's ME playing my whistle on that CD!! :D You guys don't like my playing? :lol:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Awww, c'mon guys! be positive!

I think I'll get one of these for my neighbor who's air-con sounds like a Mack Truck at 4 in the morning. This has been invaluable in saving me from sleep apnea! I must balance the truckma with some karma (and how about you pa?)!

Just think! Mobile phone ringtones! - Get revenge on the rest of the office!

34 tunes --- what a terrific song list. And you don't even have to buy the CD!

It could be worse. Imagine door-chimes? It could be the music track on your next twirling plastic Christmas tree with optic-fibre leafs! The on-hold music on your next customer service call routed through the sub-continent??

Let's keep him ring-fenced on Amazon ;)

Mind you - I love the Japanese pentatonic version of Sally Gardens - for a moment I thought I was listening to Sakura!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :party:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

TRUST ME: This thing is actually OBJECTIVELY egregious, which I wouldn't have thought possible.
Brilliant.

:)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

This is really incredible stuff. This guy is the Florence Foster Jenkins of the whistle!

Read on....

http://www.mocroi.com/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bruno Sa wrote:That is why Down By the Sally Gardens seems to be there in the duration of notes, but with a weird and exotic (being kind) scale structure.
Yeah, I was wondering what was up with Sally Gardens... It's got
me thinking that I'll have to try that tune on my Ahava Rabba
whistle.

I'm kind of curious about his software. The whistle stuff sounds
like it uses the same "ornament" algorithm as the bagpipe stuff, just
with more "whistley" samples.
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

fearfaoin wrote:
Bruno Sa wrote:That is why Down By the Sally Gardens seems to be there in the duration of notes, but with a weird and exotic (being kind) scale structure.
Yeah, I was wondering what was up with Sally Gardens... It's got
me thinking that I'll have to try that tune on my Ahava Rabba
whistle.

I'm kind of curious about his software. The whistle stuff sounds
like it uses the same "ornament" algorithm as the bagpipe stuff, just
with more "whistley" samples.
DON'T GO THERE. I made the mistake of getting his software (for almost free). I thought the number of songs promised was worth $5. Geesh, what a rip off...at least so far. He has promised an updated version of his software for sometime now, but I haven't seen nor heard anything for sometime. The 1.0 version of the software didn't even include any tunes, but he sent them via email. 300 songs turned out to be about 200 hacked up songs and lots of duplicates. The music composer only allows for music to be in the key of D (attempt to change it and everything disappears), only 1 octave is supported (in play and in composing...egad). Hit the pause or rewind button on the play along and the blue dot keeps going even if the "music" starts over. Tablature only shows fingering for a C as a forked-finger C nat even if the Key clearly shows that a C# is called for. Change the key of the whistle from D to C and the tablature does exactly...nothing...nada...zip...in fact, nothing changes, this is the type of button that can confound a computer literate person for days (like a trap in an RPG game)...I mean, its got to do something....doesn't it?
The darned thing though is that this software is sooooo close. With a little effort this would be a good tool. I'm just not sure he is interested in putting forth the effort. I guess I should email him and see if an update is ready yet.
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

scottkent wrote: The darned thing though is that this software is sooooo close. With a little effort this would be a good tool. I'm just not sure he is interested in putting forth the effort. I guess I should email him and see if an update is ready yet.
I doubt there's an update. The person running this is on ebay when I bought the CD was a woman. I think there's a small group running a scam, pure and simple. They know they're selling a bad product.
Keith
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I have the tin whistle music composer software which came from a Feadog 3-piece set (CD, book and whistle) although I haven't used it yet since it seemed rather complicated. I couldn't imagine buying a CD of music made from this program.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

scottkent wrote:DON'T GO THERE. I made the mistake of getting his software (for almost free).
I don't want to purchase it. I'm just curious about the technology
used to create the sounds. Playing samples modulated for particular
notes is old hat, but figuring out where to place ornaments would
be an interesting challenge.
jking

bad music

Post by jking »

SEE
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bfs/333963928.html

this is brutal....asking for others to now sell this stuff under their name basically to get around beng banned i believe on ebay etc

the cd in question is part of this.
"honestly dear, one more tune and i'll come to bed"
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Bad news folks. They've taken all our reviews off-line. Amazing.
Keith