arrogant popups

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

arrogant popups

Post by talasiga »

do some of you think that some popups are arrogant?

I just got this popup that asked me if I wanted to miss a chance to live and work in the USA. It gave me three options: yes, no and cancel.

I pressed cancel and got a Green Card application form thingie. ("Thingie" because I didn't read it all carefully).

I mananged to free myself of this and reopened and there was the popup again. This time I chose the "YES" option, meaning yes I do want to miss the chance to win a Green Card. So what do I get? An application form again.

What does that tell you about the people that designed this popup? You know, the part where you exercise your vote and they just ignore it?

Do you think they learned this trick from the rickshaw guys in India. You know, you tell them no!, you don't need a rickshaw to travel 10 metres and they still hound you on and on.

It just makes me think that there is a lot of commonality between the world's most powerful democracy and the world's largest democracy.

Now that should be a good thing, shouldn't it?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rod Sprague »

Frankly, I think most of the programs on computers were designed arrogantly. I remember the Mac Classic, which took less than a quarter minute to start up. Then, you could turn it off and back on and find your desktop exactly as it was. Now I have to wait for a computer that runs much faster than the old Mac to finally get up and running, because they think we need all the bells and whistles more than we need a straightforward computer that runs quickly and efficiently, and that “tidies up” every time it gets turned off, and places files in “safe” places so you have to go look for them in the bowls of the memory after downloading them. I could see having defaults, but not not giving you a straightforward way to do things on your own terms. I liked having a desktop that stayed in the nice, tidy, LOGICAL way I left it. Programs are now about as intuitive and logical as English is phonetic, including the Macs. I should just go with open source operating and systems and software.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I think it means that when you get a popup your only real choice is to hit the X, and not pick any of its choices at all. Does this work on pcs? Or will even X give you a response?
djm

Post by djm »

Why not just set your browser to block all pop-ups?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

djm wrote:Why not just set your browser to block all pop-ups?

djm
Because you have to unblock them for so many sites.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You should never assume that a pop-up is legitimate or that it's actually going to do what it says it will.

The only safe practice is to close them out with the X.

One of these days if you're not careful, one of those friendly pop-ups is going to deliver more to your PC than just a green card application.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I ALWAYS hit the X. I have, on few occasions, found the X to be just another link to the same crap as the old Yes, No and Cancel though. Arrogant popups! :x
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

I just block popups. In the rare case that one leaks through I actually close it out by right clicking on it in the task bar and hitting close there.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I routinely block pop-ups.
One day a friend send me an email mentioning a site called hi5. (hi5.com, if you really want to take a look.)
After a couple of days, it became apparent that this curséd site had occupied my address book and spammed everyone in it inviting them to join this site in MY name.
I was outraged. I still am. After snooping about, I learned that there was a popup asking me whether I would like to do such a thing. But because I had blocked the pop-up, it assumed I had answered "yes".

So I unspammed everyone in my address book, telling them I had been sold a pup, and that I did NOT endorse this site. And on the page I had been given on the site, I left a similar message. I've never been back. Occasionally I get a message from them telling me that someone (the name varies, but always one of these cutesy -i names) wants to contact me on the site. Not on yer nellie. Forget it chum.

Yes. Arrogant popups and ignorant websites.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

straycat82 wrote:I ALWAYS hit the X. I have, on few occasions, found the X to be just another link to the same crap as the old Yes, No and Cancel though. Arrogant popups! :x
Yes, I know about the X and how it works but your latter is what happened with the one I am talking about.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

peeplj wrote:You should never assume that a pop-up is legitimate or that it's actually going to do what it says it will.

The only safe practice is to close them out with the X.

One of these days if you're not careful, one of those friendly pop-ups is going to deliver more to your PC than just a green card application.

--James
What James said.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

BUDDHU, it has been a long time since you last popped up in one of my topics.

I hope at your next popup you may have something original to say.
:P

I have noticed that whenever you do popup anywhere it is never arrogant.
:)
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Arrogant Popups would be a good name for a band.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Yes, the band could turn up at venues without being booked and take over the show.

They could ask for audience requests and then denigrate audience suggestions.

When audience applauses, band could tell them their applause is presumptious seeing as they don't know nothing about music. That way audience booing could be pre-emptively nullified.

This denigrating attitude to audiences is analogous to certain session musos who think that unless you can actually play their instrument you have no credentials to comment on their music.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

talasiga wrote:Yes, the band could turn up at venues without being booked and take over the show.

They could ask for audience requests and then denigrate audience suggestions.

When audience applauses, band could tell them their applause is presumptious seeing as they don't know nothing about music. That way audience booing could be pre-emptively nullified.

This denigrating attitude to audiences is analogous to certain session musos who think that unless you can actually play their instrument you have no credentials to comment on their music.
:lol: Wow, Tal (I'm feeling a bit rebellious tonight, hence the usage of "Tal"...I hope you understand ;) )...that was really pretty funny!

:lol: :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.