Des Seery

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
somethingclever
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Des Seery

Post by somethingclever »

I am going to buy a des seery starter set soon.
there is little info on seery's pipes because of the focus on his flutes(which are fantastic)

I want to know anything you folks know about Seery pipes before I make the purchase next month.

thanks everyone!
alex-
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: Des Seery

Post by MarcusR »

somethingclever wrote:I am going to buy a des seery starter set soon. there is little info on seery's pipes because of the focus on his flutes(which are fantastic)
I want to know anything you folks know about Seery pipes before I make the purchase next month...
Hi Alex!
Don't know anything about Des pipes but I got a bit curious why you have desided to get one of his sets, without knowing anything about them.

Usually it is the other way around, first gather some information about different pipes and pipe makers, then decide what to get.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
somethingclever

well...

I know plenty about them and i have even heard them, but i have not played them which is the real issue. I just want to make sure since it is a big investment and they will be traveling about 7000 miles, that i will be about 200% pleased with them. Im simply getting a second and thrid and fourth opinion.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Prudence says you'd be better off going with a maker closer to you and there are several that seem to hold reasonably high reputations much closer than 7,000 miles away! Have you looked into Kirk Lynch, Seth Gallagher, David Quinn, Brad Angus, or any domestic makers here in the US?
somethingclever

naw

Im pretty nostalgic, im definitley getting them from an irish maker as my preference. Besides If climate is going to be an issue I have the option of delrin. As far as I know there are no drawbacks to delrin.
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

Hi again Alex!

I got curious to why you had your mind set on a particular set from Europe.
If there was a very special reason, looks, sound, personal taste or other preferenses I could understand it.
Otherwise I'm with Brian.
The exchange rate is not in your favour right now and you will also have to pay for shipping, import and custom duties.
In the end I'll guess your set wil cost as much as a set from one of the top makers in the US.
And if you decide to upgrade to a half or full set you have to go throgh the same drill again.

There are plenty of very good makers in the US so if I were you I would do some research of a few other options before I order anything.

Good luck and happy piping :)

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: naw

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

somethingclever wrote:Im pretty nostalgic, im definitley getting them from an irish maker as my preference. Besides If climate is going to be an issue I have the option of delrin. As far as I know there are no drawbacks to delrin.
True, but your reed isn't going to be made of Delrin, and that's the bit that you need to be most worried about...
Doc Jones

Re: naw

Post by Doc Jones »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:
somethingclever wrote:Im pretty nostalgic, im definitley getting them from an irish maker as my preference. Besides If climate is going to be an issue I have the option of delrin. As far as I know there are no drawbacks to delrin.
True, but your reed isn't going to be made of Delrin, and that's the bit that you need to be most worried about...
My thought exactly. Quite a difference between Ireland humidity and New Mexico.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
somethingclever

its not simply the principal of the thing, I also prefer the look of his pipes and I have great personal respect for seery and his associate.

I think I mis worded my initial post and that caused confusion regarding the information i was looking for.

The reason for my question was so i could get in touch with someone who has seery pipes. As I am in the early stages of learning, I can not be very discriminating. I wanted to know how seery pipes compare to those US makers. Thank you for the feed back! I am well aware that i will need to learn to make my own reads for the desert i live in, and i will probably get delrin so i can travel without them swelling and cracking.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

The advice is very sound regarding choosing a maker close to - climate not withstanding. You're making an already difficult instrument and purchase much more so going that far away. Meaning no disrespect to Mr. Seery, his whistles and flutes have a good reputation by most, though the fact that not many have heard seen or played his pipes might be reason for pause - that are a VERY different animal than whistles/flutes. Even assuming you've got a perfect set and perfect reeds (LOL Yeah RIGHT!) when the time comes for you to need service, to go back to the maker for it is not practical in that case. Many makers won't touch the stuff from other living makers as well, for a number of reasons...sometimes even for something as simple as reeds and the like, let alone if something breaks. And it probably will. It's much much more difficult to work half way around the globe than someone here state side. Just know what you're getting into. That's all.

Option 2: Move next door to your favorite maker. Takes care of a lot of problems. ;)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have never played a Seery chanter or set, but I have heard nice things about them.

Living in New Mexico, being new to the Uilleann Pipes, and being determined to obtain a set by a maker who is a long, long way away (in the event there are issues that only the maker can address or repair), sounds to me like it could be a recipe for heartbreak.

Seriously consider a set by somebody a little closer to home. Once you are up and going and know a few more things about the pipes and piping, then go in search of your dream set.

Just my 2.5 cents.
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

somethingclever wrote:its not simply the principal of the thing, I also prefer the look of his pipes and I have great personal respect for seery and his associate
Seery flutes do get a few good reviews on the flute board and the people that play them seem to like them,
but I still don't follow your flute analogy.

I'm sure that most people that love their Seery flutes would not mind to have an Olwel or Wilkes if they had the funds.
The way I see it is, you'll end up with a Seery for the same price you could get an Olwel. If you are ok with that, go for it.

The other thing I dont get is that you are new to piping and you are on your way to buy a practise set.
See it for what it is. If you get into piping and progress it is not likley that this is the set you want to have
for the rest of your life, even though it is possible to upgrade a Seery set with drones and regs.

If you are set on delrin, a nice practise set from Boston Pipeworks will only be about half the price
compared to a Seery set from ireland.
When you get going you will also develope an ear and feel for what you want in a set.
So when it is time to get drones or regs you will also be more sure about what to get and who to buy from.

Edit: Close to what JES said I guess, missed his reply.

Cheers!

MarcusR
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

In fairness, this is one case in which the location of the pipemaker is probably not very relevant, at least from the point of view of the stability of the pipes. The altitude and humidity (or absence thereof) in Albuquerque will probably test any set of pipes, even a set made by someone near where Alex lives (are there any pipemakers in or near NM).

As pointed out by the Sporting Pitchfork, the problem you're going to face, even with a derlin set is the reeds. While you can get synthetic reeds for drones, maintaining your chanter reed will probably prove a challenge. Maybe you should consider learning to make your own reeds.

I seem to recall Pat Sky writing somewhere on this forum that he found light reeds best suited to altitude and arid climates.

Good luck with your piping plans.
PJ
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

somethingclever wrote:its not simply the principal of the thing, I also prefer the look of his pipes and I have great personal respect for seery and his associate.

The reason for my question was so i could get in touch with someone who has seery pipes.
As far as I know, Des has an associate in Ohio, so there should be some local comeback. Ken Murphy had a set of Seery pipes (he also lived close to Des, in Bray). You could probably speak with him (calling to Ireland). I have some samples of his playing them I might share with you (some years old).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
nemethmik

Post by nemethmik »

MarcusR wrote:There are plenty of very good makers in the US
Yes, and the prices there are much better for an American buyer than here in Europe. I lived and worked for a couple of years in the USA, and I can say the American customer support is much better then anywhere else in the world. When I was not happy with something I had bought, I had the option to return that thing, including chanters and reeds. This is completely not true here in Europe. There are rare exceptions, though. Because of the terribly high customs and taxes here in Europe, and customs burocracy, unfortunately, buying from American makers is not a real option for us :(
Miki