SZBE Very High Mini F (with pix and clip)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

SZBE Very High Mini F (with pix and clip)

Post by MTGuru »

I was lucky enough to get one of these last year from the maker, Ken Matsusaka of SZBE Whistles in Japan. While intended as a novelty item or pendant, it is actually a fully functional miniature VERY high F whistle! A few photos will give an idea of the finish, detail, and scale in my average-sized hand:

The finish is antiqued brass with inscribed decorative rings near the head and foot. For another comparison, here it is side by side with a standard high D Feadóg:

And here is some detail of the Delrin head and fipple. The windway is curved, similar in design to the Sindt, and a smaller version of Ken's standard SZBE high whistles. You can see the ring for attaching a pendant chain:

Image Image Image

Of course, the big question is, does it play? My fingers are much too large to cover the holes normally. But by using a 4-finger technique (T1, T2, B1, B2 only) I managed work out a more or less usable fingering:

Kesh Jig in Bb on SZBE Mini F (Mp3)

The whistle is actually well in tune with F and with itself, and it has a pleasant, bright tone for such a small, high voice. And some practice would probably improve my dodgy fingering. Here it is in 4-fingered playing position:

I'm not sure if Ken is still making these, but his care and craftsmanship are remarkable. I also have his new SZBE aluminum high D with the convertible foot joints (long and short). It's a fine instrument and a favorite of mine.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Wow! Very cool! I am envious :D
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

That's the cutest thing I've ever seen! Ken is one heck of a whistle maker. I have one of his brass High Ds and it's my favorite D. I don't think he's doing much in the whistle dept right now though. I had been talking to him about making a C in brass for me and after asking him to make it I never heard back from him. He's been pretty focused on making uilleann pipes right now.

On a side note...I went and got a Reyburn Session C from Doc Jones and it rocks!
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

THAT IS TOO COOL -BRO ,thanks for sharing this
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

this reminds me of the super high C whistle I got from the Whistle Shop a few years ago :) It was so small, one finger covered 2 holes. I learned to play Down by the Sally Gardens on it. :)
Last edited by Wanderer on Tue May 15, 2007 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

Second octave on that B part of the Kesh Jig just too much for the ol' ear ay? :lol: Don't blame you. Maybe it was just my speakers, and I know you said it had a pleasant tone, but that recording sure got to my ears with the super high pitches. That's neat though, I want one!
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

That is really something, Guru. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
undone

Post by undone »

I LOVE this! Is there a way to purchase one?
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

That is awesome! It's so tiny and cute!

Probably more useful as a dog whistle, though. :lol:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I just asked Ken if the mini is still available. He says that he made a few of these on a trial basis as a proof of concept, and could make more now. But since the work involved is basically the same as for a full-size whistle, the price would also be comparable or higher. You can contact Ken and check out his other fine whistles and uilleann pipes at http://szbe.net
Wanderer wrote:this reminds me of the super high C whistle I got from the Whistle Shop a few years ago :) It was so small, one finger covered 2 holes. I learned to play Down by the Sally Gardens on it. :)
Yep, that's the technique involved. It's pretty dicey ...
hathair_bláth wrote:That is awesome! It's so tiny and cute!
It's the perfect whistle for your avatar!
CapnDistracto

Post by CapnDistracto »

Wow, what a keen sounding whistle for the size.

I actually just found out about SZBE whistles today and then saw your post. Great job managing to play with only four fingers and still have the Kesh Jig (mostly) recognizable!
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

I think it broke my ears :P
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

That thing must shatter windows when it gets to the second octave! :boggle:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Sound the bat signal! ;)

Seriously John... that is pretty neat!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

MTGuru wrote:
hathair_bláth wrote:That is awesome! It's so tiny and cute!
It's the perfect whistle for your avatar!
You've just given me an idea...... :D