Andrea Corr: what the heck is she doing?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

JohnPalmer wrote:P.S.

My old imac doesn't mesh the sound of youtube with the visual, but it does appear that she might be playing in the key of A (again, speaking as if her Bb was a D whistle), which will give her the low note she played. Actually she did all this just to get our attention!
She didn't have to actually DO anything to get my full attention!!!!
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

I played along with the video with my Gen Bb (which looks exactly like the whistle she's playing there, and key and sound matches also), and that low note is simply not playable, regardless in what key she's (pretending to be) playing.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

This is just like an episode of CSI: C&F
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

I'm with Gabriel, the tune works on a Bb but that low Ab (about 30 seconds into the clip) isn't possible for me.

This version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMNbf4h ... ted&search , is the same performance but syncs correctly. Maybe this will help answer some questions. (I hope I got the link right. YouTube is blocked on my work computer so I can't double check till I get home.)
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

All this talk about the Generaton whistle reminds me of mine that I got in 1975 when the Chieftains Five album came out. I loaned it to a friend a few years back and he lost it. A sad tale. Anyway, I have heard that presently Generations have lousy quality control and it's pretty hit or miss getting a good one; however,I have also heard that soon they will make good ones again. Any truth to the new and improved Generation? As I recall, Ab was OXXOOO, but it's been awhile.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I looked at the video and began developing my own theory by playing along on a Gen Bb. The tune is so beautiful and I had so much fun playing along that I soon forgot all about theories and notes and just enjoyed the music.

Thanks for posting that, orlandorr.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

CranberryDog wrote:As I recall, Ab was OXXOOO, but it's been awhile.
I'm talking about a low Ab, i.e. the low Ab just below the bell note of the whistle. ;)
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

Gabriel wrote:I played along with the video with my Gen Bb (which looks exactly like the whistle she's playing there, and key and sound matches also), and that low note is simply not playable, regardless in what key she's (pretending to be) playing.
Yeah, I think that low note makes it obvious to whistle players that somthing funny is going on.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Gabriel wrote:
I'm talking about a low Ab, i.e. the low Ab just below the bell note of the whistle. ;)
I see what you mean ... that is a mystery note for sure.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

all of this focus on the video has me looking closer at the thing. I wish I still had a Bb to play along :)

Anyway, at about 3:54, Celine slams her fist into her chest for emphasis/effect, but it doesn't seem to do anything to her voice. I find that a little odd ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Wanderer wrote:all of this focus on the video has me looking closer at the thing. I wish I still had a Bb to play along :)

Anyway, at about 3:54, Celine slams her fist into her chest for emphasis/effect, but it doesn't seem to do anything to her voice. I find that a little odd ;)
OH NO ---------nows theres more--------------she a chest slammer---------she always was -------she gets deep into her singing -but boy can that woman put out some sound----------i would not even think Celone would SYNC it--she gives for her fans
benbrad

Mysterious Whistle

Post by benbrad »

I watched the vid a few times and read all of your posts. I got my B flat whistle and played along with her. She is definately playing a note lower than the B flat bell note on her whistle. I paused and restarted the vid several times checking to see if she has a + "plus" whistle with an extension to the length of the whistle and an extra hole drilled below the B flat tone hole. I was very careful and checked very closely. There isn't one. She can't be playing it. End of story.
Ben
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Gabriel wrote:
It was very clearly played by the guy on the Grassy Knoll. (for those few of you old enough to remember the JFK assassination). :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

blackhawk wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
It was very clearly played by the guy on the Grassy Knoll. (for those few of you old enough to remember the JFK assassination). :D
ah yes the grassy knoll
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

blackhawk wrote:It was very clearly played by the guy on the Grassy Knoll. (for those few of you old enough to remember the JFK assassination). :D
I see. So the whistle (which was made by Spillane as he sat on the grassy knoll) was actually played by Lee Harvey Oswald and then Jack Ruby shot him on behalf of the Corrs to shut him up. 8)
Last edited by khl on Thu May 10, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith