Michael Burke Low D Aluminum EZ Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Michael Burke Low D Aluminum EZ Whistle

Post by psychodonald »

Hi all: just had to share with you the arrival of my new Michael Burke Low D Aluminum EZ Whistle. Yup, I decided to go with the Low D rather than the Low F. The low F is my next one, trust me. I've had the Low E less than 24 hours and I just don't know where to begin; frankly, I've died and gone to whistle heaven. This is my first truly high end whistle and is it worth it? Man, I'll say it is!!!!!!! No disrespect intended to you folks who promote the less expensive line of whistles (been there, done that), I suspect that you have the ability/ knowledge and skill to tweek the inexpensive ones and that's great, more power to you. My playing ability, and pleasure have really grown in leaps and bounds in the short time that I've had this beauty. Hey, I know I need sleep, food and water, but I don't think I can get this thing out of my mouth let alone out of my hands.

Oh, and a huge thanks to the C&F Forum for the rundown on the various whistles, that really helped and saved me a bunch of time-- thanks again Dale, et al. Don. :D :party: :D :party: :D :party: :D :party:
Theo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Theo »

As one owner of a Burke Low D (Composite) EZ to another... HEAR HEAR!

However, do not discount the cheapies. I find that, now that I've been playing with my higher-end whistles for a while... Those cheapies are amazing. They are not perfect, and that makes them special. The Burke is perfect, which makes it a good whistle in it's own right, but... oh man, those cheapies can sing.

Just a thought.
azw

Post by azw »

I'm happy for you and your new whistle!

I've been noticing that when I get a new whistle my first impression is usually that it's incredibly good. (One exception to that was a Walton Mellow D, which sounded anemic from the start.) Then a few weeks later things settle out. Often I no longer feel as attracted to its sound. Is it the different sounds that are so exciting at the beginning, or the thrill of a new toy?
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Hi Don,

Great news on your new whistle! Congratulations. Burke makes a great whistle. My Burke low D really sang. Best, Cyril
egreen

Post by egreen »

Folks wondered why I got three different D whistles as my "first" whistle. But they all sound different, and which one is my current "favorite" varies by the time of day. For example, the Little Black Whistle was my favorite this morning. Its wheezy "brassy" sound fit the mood I was in and its low wind requirements for getting to the high register let me torture the cats a bit (when the cats are both on top of the kitchen cabinet going "Meow! Meow! Meow!" you know they're not having fun :-). But sometimes I want the mellowness of the Mellow D, or the funkiness of the Sweetone....

So yeah, I think it's the different sound. Then you get bored and go to another whistle. Thankfully you can buy lots of cheapies and never get bored!
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

AZW, you make a good point, I think it is somewhat a combination of both, the new sound and the fact that the whistle I got really works the way I think a whistle ought to work. With my Burke Whistle, I noticed that I didn't have to work half as hard to produce a good sound. The Whistle can be tuned and is in tune, and when it is right, "spot on" it is in tune with itself and for me, when that isn't the case, I become very distracted :boggle: and play poorly. With regard to the sound/ tone that my new whistle makes, I don't know how to describe it; however, it is the sound I've been looking for in a low whistle. I actually listened to as many sound bites as I could find on many whistles before I settled on the Burke; that sound just rings my chimes, if you know what I mean. One more comment, and I'll get down from the soap box, the whistle, to me, just looks cool. Actually, the appearance of the whistle is of least importance to me---most important is playability/ tuning and sound.
azw

Post by azw »

I know what you mean about being distracted by a whistle that's out of tune. That really bugs me, too. In my limited experience, the Burke whistles are exceptional in their being in tune with themselves.