I piped with Paddy!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I piped with Paddy!!!

Post by TnWhistler »

Well, I got to meet THE MAN, Paddy Keenan! What a wonderful experience, what a lovely person and an incredible concert. At the end he called us all up to play a string of reels I didn't know, heard them but didn't know them on the pipes, we did play a few jigs I played along with, but sitting on stage with Paddy Keenan, man as the beer commercial says, "it don't git no better'n this!"

I once played on stage with Bill Monroe whan I played bluegrass, this ranks up along side with that. I am still buzzing! Just wanted to share with you, my pipering friends.

Timmy
KevinCorkery
antispam: No

Post by KevinCorkery »

That is the coolest thing, great that you got a picture of the two of you. He's coming to Silver Spring MD on the 10th but I doubt if I'll be playing with him. I've seen him once before and he was amazing.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Fun stuff Timmy, I think you'll treasure the moment and the photo for a lifetime. :thumbsup:
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

I know you both must be very, very proud. :)

Now, if only you can get a photo of yourself with the pipering lady...
Joseph E. Smith

Beau Comiseau wrote:I know you both must be very, very proud. :)

Now, if only you can get a photo of yourself with the pipering lady...
.... not!!! :swear: :P
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Beau Comiseau wrote:Now, if only you can get a photo of yourself with the pipering lady...
Funny you should mention that, the picture was cropped too close, I guess.

Timmy :D
Joseph E. Smith

ImageImageImage
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:ImageImageImage
That's all I get Joseph, for 20 mins. of PhotoShop magic? I get better response from 4 graders with balloon animals. :)

Timmy
Joseph E. Smith

ImageImageImage
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

gotta be a great guy to let someone hold your mainstock:

L42B

Post by L42B »

Hi Tim

I'll second what you said. Paddy is a 'true character' and a 'true musician' not just his understanding of Irish music but his respect for others who choose to study the art (regardless of their ability). I also got a sense of a great 'love for humanity' in the man's character as well. Although I never got to play on stage with Paddy (I declined an invitation), I did share a few tunes with him the next day. It was a great experience.

Cheers L42B :)
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Now Timmy, I just have to ask... which tunes did you play with The Supreme Master and had you been in the sauce prior to that photograph being snapped? :wink:
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I played with Paddy Keenan too! On Tuesday, in Charlottesville. He was giving a "workshop," and there were only two of us who went to it, me and a beginner piper. Paddy philosophized about piping and pipes, and we (he and I) just had some tunes. It was cool.
I didn't play on stage with him, although he did invite me after the workshop.
I said I would, but then when the time came, he mentioned a couple other guests by name, and then said something like, "and if there's anyone else who wants to come up and play, come on up."
And he looked over at me, but I knew there were several other musicians in the audience, none of whom were getting up, and I didn't want to look like I was the only one presumptuous enough to think I was good enough to play with Paddy Keenan, so I stayed put.
A little session broke out after the concert, and Paddy played a few tunes with us on low whistle. It was a fun night. :)
maze

seisflute

Post by maze »

seisflute,

it was great to meet you. paddy is indeed a character. i decided whilst sitting next to you that listening to cleek up there was better than hauling my crap up there for some tunes i could have anytime.

you sound great though, and sorry i did not make it back in time to have some tunes with you. glad there are others in virginia who are keeping virginia for pipers.
Maze
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Yeah, nice to have met you too! Maybe we'll get to have tunes another time, like if I can make it to one of the more southerly tionols. Cleek is indeed a great fiddler, and I don't get to play with him very often. It was nice to get to do that a bit.

Kelly