Grease threaded tenon joints?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
roj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Grease threaded tenon joints?

Post by roj »

Hi all,

Say, do threaded tenon joints get greased the same as cork joints?
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Yes.

You need to water-proof the threads so that water won't be trapped underneath; cork grease is a simple way to do that.

Also any joint can unexpectedly become stiff, be it thread or cork--in which case having greased the joint can make it much easier to separate the tenon.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

What James said, and there are probably as many different recipes for thread grease as there are players. I'm sure that others will chime in with their favorite. My flute has cork, but the Burns Folk Flute I used to have had thread wrapped tenons. I used a grease made from beeswax melted with almond oil to give it the right consistency. I know of one player who uses carmex to grease hers, and I've heard of people useing grease from a wax toilet ring (of course it would be a new one. Stop think that!).I don't know if people use cork grease or not, but it should work as well.

Oops. I guess that might be more information than you wanted.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
roj
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

Many thanks!
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

FWIW: I tried the toilet bowl wax ring stuff for the threads on my Highland pipes, but as I recall it was very sticky stuff. It does work, but you'll be pretty well gummed up with it afterwards. And yes, go buy a fresh ring, by all means! :boggle:

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I use the Vito cork grease from a music store, designed for clarinets. It works fine.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Dow's suggestion about bees wax mixed with other oils works well. I use beeswax with coconut, sunflower, and pepermint oils with Vit E and lanolin; but you don't have to mix it yourself. Burt's Bees lip balm does it for you.

I used to use the cork grease that comes in the tubes and looks like lip balm, but because I also use lip balm when I play I would occasionally apply the cork grease to my lips and the lip balm to the cork. Because the lip balm works well on the cork (or threads) and the cork grease does not taste so good I eliminated the cork grease and now use the lip balm for everything. Works for me.

Clark
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

I use blue cross-country ski wax which works well and is less goopy than the red wax made for warmer/wetter snow.

- A quick trick for too-packed thread: Run a thumbnail fore and aft along the thread, rotating the section for multiple scratches. This will raise wax enough to tighten the joint, creating a temporary fit until its rewrapped.
Last edited by brianormond on Tue May 22, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

When I received my Cameron traverso, he included a Burt's Bees lip balm stick to use as tenon grease. I love the smell! I use it now on my Irish flute too! If that's not handy, cork grease works too, as someone noted earlier.

Jeanie
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hoovorff wrote:When I received my Cameron traverso, he included a Burt's Bees lip balm stick to use as tenon grease. I love the smell! I use it now on my Irish flute too! If that's not handy, cork grease works too, as someone noted earlier.

Jeanie
I've used Burt's Bees myself in a pinch, and Jeanie's right -- it smells great! Otherwise, I just use cork grease, or the beeswax/almond oil block if the joints are a bit loosey-goosey but not loose enough to require Teflon tape.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.