What Is Up With This Writer?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What Is Up With This Writer?

Post by Dale »

I happened across this review of an electronic product on amazon.com. It would be interesting to have a talk with this person. Actually, I have to wonder if this isn't some kind of technical glitch.
It Works Great If You Take The Time To Read The Directions First. It Took Me About 15 Min. To Set Up And That Includes Getting The FIPS Codes Off The Internet. I Read All The Bad Reviews And Figured Out That Other People Didn't Read And Follow The Directions Correctly. Directions Are Easy To Follow And Understand And Even If You Make A Mistake Setting It Up, It Lets You Know You Made A Mistake. I Have Had Mine For 3 Months Now And It Works Flawlessly. You Can Set It So It Sounds The Alarm And Then Comes On To Tell You What The Alert Is Which Is The Way I Have Mine Set Up. After A Few Min., It Will Turn Itself Back Off And Be Ready For The Next Alert. As Long As You Read The Directions FIRST, You Wont Be Dissapointed. Receintly We Had Tornados Come Thru Our Area And This Weather Radio Saved My Life By Warning Me In Advance As To The Aproaching Weather. It Really Does Work. This Weather Radio Is Replacing My Old Radio Shack Radio Which Still Works Great. Reception Is Good, You May Have To Move It Around To Get The Best Reception. If You Put In The Right FIPS Codes, You Wont Get False Alarms. The Direction Booklet Tells You The Web Site To Get The FIPS Codes. Also, There Is No Difference Between The 100, 100b, Or The 100c. I Called Midland About This. All The Bad Reviews I Contribute To Not Reading And Following The Directions And Impatience. You Can Check NOAA'S Web site And They Will Tell You About Any Weather Radio Issues Or Recalls. Midland Had One On An Older One But Not On This One. I Check Things Out Before I Buy Them Especially Something As Important As This. Just A Note, I Come From New Orleans--Katrina--. Need I Say More As To The Importance Of Equiptment That Works Right.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Maybe she or he speaks English as a second language and has trouble with writing English "properly." Maybe she or he is disabled and uses voice activation software to type, which leaves his text looking different, maybe she or he is going for some deliberate effect, or maybe something nobody ever thought of. Who can say?
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Cranberry wrote:Maybe she or he speaks English as a second language and has trouble with writing English "properly." Maybe she or he is disabled and uses voice activation software to type, which leaves his text looking different, maybe she or he is going for some deliberate effect, or maybe something nobody ever thought of. Who can say?
That could be it.

A total innocent who has never been anywhere near Speed or Stupidity.

Slan,
D. :-?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Personally, I think they just like the look of capitalizing the first letter of every word... I Know I Do, A Great Deal Too. :D
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Might be an artificial intelligence project, either for school or for nefarious purposes. The output could be from a program bot that is designed to spam reviews to Amazon. It could be worth big bucks to some companies/people, if an effective bot could be written, and run under the radar.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

BillChin wrote:Might be an artificial intelligence project, either for school or for nefarious purposes. The output could be from a program bot that is designed to spam reviews to Amazon. It could be worth big bucks to some companies/people, if an effective bot could be written, and run under the radar.
Actually, to me it reads as if it's a stilted robotic voice, so you may be on to something, there.

We Are Borg. You Will Be Assimilated. Resistance Is Futile.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I’m Not Sure At All Why A Person Would Want To Do This, But You Can Type A Document In Microsoft Word And Then Select The Entire Document And Change The Case To “Title Case”. Perhaps Everyone Knows This Already, But I Sure Didn’t Until I Asked My Husband About It. At Least This Means That The Person Was Not Hitting The Shift Key For Every Word, If This Is What The Person Did. One Could Accidentally Change The Case To “Title Case”, But I Don’t See How One Could Possibly Not Notice There Had Been A Big Mistake.

I Don’t Know Anything About Artificial Intelligence Stuff, But I Would Have Thought Using Something Like That Would Have A Spelling Checker That Would Have Prevented Some Of The Misspellings Like “Dissapointed”, “Receintly”, And “Aproaching”.

Somehow, To Me, It Sounds Like A Real Person Wrote It. I Don’t Think It Is Someone For Whom English Is A Second Language Though. It Almost Sounds Like Someone Talking. The Only Surprising Word Was “Flawlessly”, Which Seemed A Little Fancy In A Way.

It Is Really Interesting To See How Difficult Too Many Capital Letters Makes Text To Read---At Least That Was The Case For Me. This Sentence---”Midland Had One On An Older One But Not On This One.”--- Just Has Entirely Too Many Capital O’s For My Eyes!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
emmline

Post by emmline »

My, but the world needs editors.
djm

Post by djm »

When I look at text, I look at text. When I read for meaning, I read for meaning. This sounds like good advice from someone who got the device to work to his satisfaction as opposed to, presumably, other reviews that decried the device's failings. As I am unlikely to have to read this person's writing every day, his choice of words or typing style seems insignificant to me.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

It's Cajun.

:wink:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:When I look at text, I look at text. When I read for meaning, I read for meaning. This sounds like good advice from someone who got the device to work to his satisfaction as opposed to, presumably, other reviews that decried the device's failings. As I am unlikely to have to read this person's writing every day, his choice of words or typing style seems insignificant to me.

djm
Ok. I just thought it was weird that every single word was capitalized. I guess it's just me.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Dale wrote: Ok. I just thought it was weird that every single word was capitalized. I guess it's just me.
I prefer to think of it as being authoritatively festive.

You have to admit, it snags your attention without SHOUTING AT YOU.
Cotelette d'Agneau
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I find it hard to read, and a little weird. Something about all of the caps in such a long post messes with my reading comprehension.
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

^^^ Indeed it messes with how I read it. It almost makes me feel like it's a whole run-on sentence or something. Periods come at the end, capital letters at the beginning. So it sorta makes me see a sentence beginning everywhere and makes me a little dizzy.
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

Exactly! Well put.

Lesson learned: when in doubt, just do the whole thing in lowercase. :wink: