Brass or Aluminum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brass or Aluminum

Post by TnWhistler »

Buying a Burke D whistle and am deciding between the Brass D Session or the Aluminum D Session (or as you Brits say al-you-mini-um) Leaning toward the Alum. for weight purposes. Same price, any thoughts?

Tim

BTW Hi Jessie K., I've been over on the Uilleann piping side for a while, hope you're well.
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Alright, I just found some posts concerning the Burke question, some, most recommended brass.

You can still give me your choice of the two. Sorry I missed the earlier post I hate repeating myself myself.

Tim
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have both and the al-you-mini-um one is a good whistle but the tone sounds plain to me but the brass one is at least six million times nicer and one of the best whistles on the planet IMO.
Wilsing

Post by Wilsing »

BRASS

-James

A Stor Mo Chroi
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Brass. More stable, sweeter, less variable on intonation. Though I really like my AlProD, it never was in tune with the band, while the brass was.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

I have three Burke whistles but in different keys. Two are brass, one is Aluminum. What I find remarkable is how similar they are in tonal and playing characteristics across the entire range. Not scientific in the least but it seems to give creedance to Burke's reputation for making consistent whistles.

FWIW, I'm in the camp which says the whistle's material has little, if any role, in the instrument's tone. Instrument design and final voicing, and to some extent the player's technique are considerably more important.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

If it's a deciding factor, don't worry about the weight of the brass. I have the brass sessioner and the weight is all close to the top in the head joint which, in my opinion, sits very comfortably on the lip and doesn't make any more work for your fingers.
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Thanks for your opinions, the only weight factor was that I am trying to keep my grip loose and thought a heavier whistle might cause me to tighten up, (something I am battling on the UPipes) but straycat82 answered that question.

Sounds like the brass is winning, and there's no doubt about the quality oif the brand itself, Burke has made quite a reputation here. That's what I like to hear, as does Michael, I'm sure.

Thanks all

Tim
lordofthestrings
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

I do not own a Burke (god, I wish I did!!!) but i have never, ever played an al-you-mini-um whistle that could measure up to a brass one. The tone of brass is so much better IMHO, and I like a whistle with a little weight to it. I always feel nervous when playing a little lighty whistle, like it will shatter if i drop it, or I may crush it, or may float away...

I like heavy whistles and I cannot lie, you other whistlers can't deny, when a player pulls a brass monster from his case, and hold it to his face.... I GET CHIFFED!!!!! :o
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Guinness wrote:......and to some extent the player's technique are considerably more important.

Ah, heck....now I gotta work on that, too! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Get a brass Sindt! :P
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Hey, Lord of the Strings, sorry about the beatin you got on the Upipe board last week. I've had my share, seems only 1 or 2 opinions matter over there, rest of us better mind ourselves.

Timmy :boggle:
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

The Sindts are better whistles based on the sound and characteristics that I like, and a touch lighter than the Burke brass sessioner too... again though, most of the weight is up in the head.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I've played both, and if I were to get one, it would be the brass, as it has so much more tonal colors available at hand over the aluminum. Unless you're going for that pure bird like sound that the aluminum has...
jmiller

Post by jmiller »

Most of the board may prefer Brass but I saw a photo of Joanie Madden with a full set of Aluminum Burke whistles. Maybe Aluminum works better for recording. I have owned both but can't say that I liked one better than the other.