Flynner on the Late Late

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Flynner on the Late Late

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20070330.html

Scroll down, it's the sixth segment.

Pat.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

HOOO- WHEEE! 3 great musicians all having some great fun!

Thanks, PD!

He says the concert was to be broadcast on TG4 on Easter Monday.... has anyone found that on TG4's website? I looked and couldn't find it...
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

brianc wrote:He says the concert was to be broadcast on TG4 on Easter Monday.... has anyone found that on TG4's website? I looked and couldn't find it...
Go to www.tg4.tv then click on Ceol - Cartlann. Then scroll down 6 or 7 items - Gradam Ceoil TG4 2007 - 9/4/2007
PJ
No E

Post by No E »

Show of hands--how many of you who watched the clip were secretly wishing that Paul Brady's mic would go out? Maybe I'm just being a dick, but I thought the guitar was a distraction to an otherwise nice set.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

No E wrote:Show of hands--how many of you who watched the clip were secretly wishing that Paul Brady's mic would go out?
I agree. Paul Brady is a very fine guitar player and one of the first to successfully integrate the guitar into traditional music. However, the first part of the set he was just plodding along whilst in the second, his accompaniment was a little too modern for the style of LOF and SK. Plus, the sound quality of the clip left a lot to be desired.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

I would say that what was played on guitar is fairly standard fare nowadays, but far too loud. If the guitar had been put farther back in the mix where it belongs I don't think it would have been quite as annoying.

Is it just me, or does the clip end after that one set of tunes? And I know I've asked this before but I keep forgetting - what's the name of the second of the three tunes they played?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

djm wrote:what's the name of the second of the three tunes they played?
Jenny's Wedding.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
brianc

Post by brianc »

No E wrote:Show of hands--how many of you who watched the clip were secretly wishing that Paul Brady's mic would go out? Maybe I'm just being a dick, but I thought the guitar was a distraction to an otherwise nice set.

No E
Over-mixed -with the result of it being too loud, I'd say.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Show of hands--how many of you who watched the clip were secretly wishing that Paul Brady's mic would go out?
Your right Larry, far too loud. Typical RTE sound engineers, haven't a clue.....

Brady was a superb backer of tunes 20 years ago but he doesn't do it any more except an odd gig with Altan.

In fairness he probably didn't realise how loud he was on the night. If you look at Bradys right hand he's certainly not hammering it (as he usualy does) plus the sound in the studio is always very different to whats being broadcast over the airwaves.

Tommy
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

The exact oppisite Brian, unfortunately. It wasn't mixed at all!! Guitar still too loud of course.

It sounded like a case of putting up 3 microphones and pressing the on buttons and then fingers crossed and hope for the best. Helen Keller would have done a better job of mixing that gig...

"A sure it'll be grand, sure they won't know the difference..."

Tommy
brianc

Post by brianc »

tompipes wrote:
The exact oppisite Brian, unfortunately. It wasn't mixed at all!! Guitar still too loud of course.

It sounded like a case of putting up 3 microphones and pressing the on buttons and then fingers crossed and hope for the best. Helen Keller would have done a better job of mixing that gig...

"A sure it'll be grand, sure they won't know the difference..."

Tommy
:lol:

Undermixed? :D

Thanks for the link, PJ.
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

PJ wrote:Go to www.tg4.tv then click on Ceol - Cartlann. Then scroll down 6 or 7 items - Gradam Ceoil TG4 2007 - 9/4/2007
I watched the 3rd or 4th item down and they were talking to P Keenan about 2002, and there seemed to be a Bothy Band reunion of sorts when he won the award. Does anyone have footage from that reunion or was it even aired? They were playing Kesh Jig as I recall, Paddy talking about throwing away his pipes in the trash.

Timmy
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

So, like, when did Paul Brady get so old?
stain

Post by stain »

Not old enough by the sounds of it. The sound quality that RTE churn out is shameful. Brady's playing of his guitar like hes wearing a pair of boxing gloves certainly doesn't help, that's for sure.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have gained a lot of respect for Mr. Brady over the years, but I have to agree that his acompe...accopm...acocompo... that his playing along with on the guitar was a bit less than what I have come to expect from him.