What's your favorite radioactive food?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

What's your favorite radioactive food?

Post by Tyler »

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Hmm, so as long as no-one does any studies on cumulative effects to multiple exposure sources we are all safe and warm ... very warm. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Despite the prestige of occupying the top radioactive spot, the amount stored and radiated is nevertheless miniscule and simply does not compare to the level of radiation found elsewhere in our daily lives.

Eh, I'm eating them anyway. I like brazil nuts. :)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I would have guessed bananas, myself.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The opportunity to eat a Brazil nut seems, unfortunately, to come up very seldom in my life so I guess I won't worry too much. But the
certain 3M tape dispensers, cat litter
containing radiation? Geez! I have much higher exposure to cat litter and even to tape dispensers than to Brazil nuts. I don't eat them of course, but still.... :o
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I grew up in the 60s eating Columbia River Salmon, caught downstream from the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.

I heard once that they took a salmon caught at the mouth in Astoria down to Livermore to test it's "trace" radioactivity. The thing was so hot that it broke the machine and the salmon was disposed as low level radioactive waste.

Of course they couldn't tell this to anybody. National Security and all.

Still, it tastes better to me than ocean caught, and especially Atlantic salmon. A good nonradioactive alternative, especially now that most of the Columbia runs are extinct or endangered due to the dams, is the Copper River Salmon from Alaska.
gonzo914

Re: What's your favorite radioactive food?

Post by gonzo914 »

Tyler Morris wrote:Brazil Nuts shown to be the most radioactive food in the world
I like it when my nuts glow in the dark.

On a side note, back in the 50s and early 60s, when strontium 90 fallout was a real concern due to above-ground atomic testing, my mother told us that we could not make snow ice cream from the first snowfall of the year, because that was the one that scrubbed all the strontium 90 out of the air. The second snowfall, however, was safe to eat.

I think she just didn't feel like farting around with snow ice cream that day.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
djm

Post by djm »

gonzo wrote:I like it when my nuts glow in the dark.
Too much information! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I never really liked those. Now I know why.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

gonzo914 wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:Brazil Nuts shown to be the most radioactive food in the world
I like it when my nuts glow in the dark.

On a side note, back in the 50s and early 60s, when scrotium 90 fallout was a real concern due to above-ground atomic testing, my mother told us that we could not make snow ice cream from the first snowfall of the year, because that was the one that scrubbed all the strontium 90 out of the air. The second snowfall, however, was safe to eat.

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

gonzo914 wrote:On a side note, back in the 50s and early 60s, when strontium 90 fallout was a real concern due to above-ground atomic testing, my mother told us that we could not make snow ice cream from the first snowfall of the year, because that was the one that scrubbed all the strontium 90 out of the air. The second snowfall, however, was safe to eat.

I remember the same thing, except we never got to have it ever again---I guess my mom didn't hear about the first snowfall cleaning up the air. That snow ice cream was good.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Man, we never got enough snow to do anything with. No snowmen, no snow angels, and definitely no snow ice cream. It'd end up with grass and dirt all in it, anyway, because you'd have to scrape it off of the ground. :(
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Congratulations wrote:Man, we never got enough snow to do anything with. No snowmen, no snow angels, and definitely no snow ice cream. It'd end up with grass and dirt all in it, anyway, because you'd have to scrape it off of the ground. :(
So what do you do for fun?
Go sandboarding?

...and to keep on topic, Fiesta ware makes those nuts seem like nothing.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."