Kind Thoughts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My haircuts take about 2 minutes (slap on a #1 blade guard and mow it down) but I go to those guys whenever I can.
Me too. Once a month or so I take an electric hair clipper
and make myself look like an egg. Given my looks
I can't spoil my beauty!

Used to go to old fashioned barbershops, where men
were men and there was a rebel flag hanging on the
wall. But they're vanishing, being replaced by.........
HAIR STYLISTS! I'm glad I'm bald.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

my sons won't go in a place to have their hair cut unless it's got dead animals hanging on the wall!!!

Although I used to use the #3 blade on them during the summer. Called it the "tick" haircut - so we could find the ticks after being in the woods.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Dale wrote:My haircuts take about 2 minutes (slap on a #1 blade guard and mow it down) but I go to those guys whenever I can.
Mine take about 2 minutes with a safety razor, a brush and some soap!

Lamby, don't you have a big brother or someone who could go and lean on that idiot and explain how upsetting incompetence can be to those on the receiving end?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

missy wrote:my sons won't go in a place to have their hair cut unless it's got dead animals hanging on the wall!!!
Missy - Your sons are very wise. I go to Irv's Barbershop. It is definitely not a "Hair Salon" and Irv is definitely not a "Stylist". Just a good selection of dead animals on the wall, Field and Stream and Mechanics Illustrated magazines. Oh, by the way, the chatter is great fun and the haircuts are $10. If you don't like your haircut, Irv will refund your money and tell you to get the hell out and never come back.
djm

Post by djm »

It used to bother me that "hair stylists" insist on washing my hair before cutting it. However, they have now taken to not only washing it, but giving me a head massage. I must confess to purring after a few minutes of this treatment. They usually give me a decent haircut, as well.

As for bad experiences, well, I must confess that I once allowed myself to be talked into getting a beehive hairdo .....

:o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Years ago I thought I'd try someplace different, so I went into the local Penney's and asked for a perm.

The girl was very chatty and told me how it was her first job out of beauty school and, as I remember, talked for some length about her earrings.

Halfway through the perm she unwound one test curl, and stopped. Picked up the bottle she had used first. Went away. Came back and said she needed to rinse me and start over, as she had used the NEUTRALIZER FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Of course, the perm didn't work. They gave me a $5 gift certificate to come back in a couple of weeks to have it done over. I never went back. And I tell anyone who will listen about this.

Penney's still has a beauty shop in there but I don't know if the girl is still there or even still doing hair.

For a while there was a woman at Supercuts that would really do a good job layering my hair so it had some body, but she's moved. The last girl there did ok but not wonderful.

If it helps - at least you don't have Donald Trump's hair stylist!
Charlene
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh poor Lamby! When I was reading your description I was wondering if it was leading up to what I was beginning to become concerned about :o .....a mullet! Did you know that a mullet is called a hockeyfrilla in Sweden and a takatukka in Finland and a chocopanda in Chile?

I'm glad you found someone to fix it up---I'd stick with those people. I'm sure no one who saw your hockeyfrilla will remember it. And you will have that ponytail again! Don't give up!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
KateG

Post by KateG »

My deepest sympathies and condolences. My only question is, why did you pay the creep? I would have raised unholy hell if my instructions had been disregarded in that blatant a fashion. You should go to his manager, taking your receipts for the original butchery and the repair and demand reimbursement for both. And then never darken his door again. Go back to the nice people who did your repair job. Hairdressers who won't follow instructions, or else are so limited...to put it nicely...that they only know one way to cut EVERYONE's hair, should not be in the biz.

For simple trims, I recommend a friend not a hairdresser. My friends and I got very good at giving each other what we called bra cuts....ie trims to the level of the bottom of the bra band in back. They were quick, easy and took care of all the loose ends and straggly bits.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Interesting link on hockeyfrilla. I have never heard of A skullet before but it reminds me of a chonmage that has not been greased and combed correctly.

It is strange, but military men some times become very attached to their barber and often know THE person in town to go to. It doesn’t seem like a difficult thing, but it seems that there are a dozen ways to screw up “flat top, tapered in back, skin around the ears, strait up the sides.” One of my friends moved up here (by now I had long hair) took my friend to the locksmith on University and Snelling in Minneapolis down a hallway to a one chair barber. The guy took one look at me and said “I don’t do long hair!”. He was glad to cut my friend’s hair though. One of those places that still has one of those hot foam dispensers and trims up the sideburns with a strait razor.

These I can just go to any great clips, give them a fake phone number and my name when I walk in, and pay way too much to have three inches of hair chopped off every six months. The one hair place my wife trusted changed ownership and she is still searching for the right place to go.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jack

Post by Jack »

jim stone wrote:Used to go to old fashioned barbershops, where men
were men and there was a rebel flag hanging on the
wall. But they're vanishing, being replaced by.........
HAIR STYLISTS! I'm glad I'm bald.
Those still exist everywhere in Kentucky, except bigger cities like Lexington.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Lambchop wrote: Thank you, Marcus. If you look closely, though, you can see that her hair is PULLED UP IN BACK.

AUUUUUGH!
See, looks good with the short hair down as well ...

And when it comes to "hockeyfrilla" it goes nicely together with a "slutspelsskägg" if you can grow one :D

All the best to you Lambchop!

/Marcus
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

That is a very sad story. Definitely need to find a good gay to do you up from now on.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Lambchop, did your hairdresser realize how upset you were with the hair cut?
You live in Florida.
Do you think your hairdresser would recognise it if some of the working tools of Santeria were left at his doorstep?

And then never EVER do business with him again.
Jack

Post by Jack »

hyldemoer wrote:Do you think your hairdresser would recognise it if some of the working tools of Santeria were left at his doorstep?

You don't want to abuse religious symbols.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Cranberry wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:Do you think your hairdresser would recognise it if some of the working tools of Santeria were left at his doorstep?

You don't want to abuse religious symbols.
I'd never abuse religious symbols.

I use them.