For those into photography

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

For those into photography

Post by susnfx »

The finalists in the Smithsonian Magazine (one of the finest magazines you could ever find, btw) have been announced and have been posted on their website. There are ten finalists in five categories and some outstanding photography. (The contest isn't open to professionals--those who make their living from photography.)

http://photocontest.smithsonianmag.com/v4/index.php

Enjoy.

Susan
djm

Post by djm »

Wow!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Thanks for the link. I'm partial to B&W photos but I found the Oregon Storm pic very arresting. Wonderful stuff
Denny

Post by Denny »

Thanks Susan!!! :D
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

What an excellent link! I am glad I do not have to judge those photos. I was astounded by Botanical garden in Slovenia----how green can green be? and that texture, the forms. And also, A winter dawn in a New Zealand pasture---it looked like one of those 19th c. American paintings of the West with the light that you can never believe was real.

The one photo out of all the categories, except Altered Images, which I did not understand and wasn't really amazed by was A naturalist in Ryder Canyon, AZ in the People category. I think the woman's image is reflected in water, but my eye is not seeing something in that picture. Since it is one of the finalists I think it must be an amazing photo and that's why I think I am not perceiving something that is there.

I came across this photo essay called Joy a few days ago that perhaps some might find interesting:

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/joy.aspx

If you look at the top of the page, you will see the words "In Motion". If you click there you can find some other photo essays listed. At the bottom of that page you can click to have all the photo essays listed. I have just watched the ones featured at the top of the page and I thought they were very worthwhile.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

A lovely link.
I was very impressed with the photo of the two cowboys in the Chuck Wagon. It is in the Americana section.
Now I may be mistaken but that looks like a bottle of wine on the table. Things have never been the same since Brokeback Mountain.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Cynth, isn't that interesting--when I looked at the "naturalist" photo, I thought, "So?" Very unimpressive to me. I think my favorite of all is the New Zealand pasture photo--absolutely gorgeous. The b/w of the homeless man is also wonderful. I'd love to draw him...his hand is beautiful.

Susan
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cynth wrote:The one photo out of all the categories, except Altered Images, which I did not understand and wasn't really amazed by was A naturalist in Ryder Canyon, AZ in the People category. I think the woman's image is reflected in water, but my eye is not seeing something in that picture. Since it is one of the finalists I think it must be an amazing photo and that's why I think I am not perceiving something that is there.
I just saw it as an interesting composition of shapes and shadows in b&w, with an interesting looking person anchoring it. But, like you, it was not among the ones I found most intriguing.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Anyone we know? :lol:
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:I just saw it as an interesting composition of shapes and shadows in b&w, with an interesting looking person anchoring it. But, like you, it was not among the ones I found most intriguing.
It might be some interesting technique that non-photogs. wouldn't
get. Note how the sides are blury, but there's a vertical stripe of
focus containing the person. Maybe that's a difficult technique...
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote: Now I may be mistaken but that looks like a bottle of wine on the table.
Yup! That's what I noticed too. I thought sitting in a chuckwagon at twilight with a pack of cards and a bottle of wine might not be a half bad way to spend an evening.
Denny

Post by Denny »

emmline wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: Now I may be mistaken but that looks like a bottle of wine on the table.
Yup! That's what I noticed too. I thought sitting in a chuckwagon at twilight with a pack of cards and a bottle of wine might not be a half bad way to spend an evening.
...and the glasses?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I found it interesting that four of the ten photos in the Americana category were images of people wearing cowboy hats.

Susan
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:
Will all respect Emm I don't think they allow "wine" on chuckwagons. Maybe warm beer or preferably tequila or "Kickin' Chicken".

I mean, would you want to play Chopin at a barn dance?

BTW I didn't look at the picture so, as usual, I'm talking out my bum.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

susnfx wrote:I found it interesting that four of the ten photos in the Americana category were images of people wearing cowboy hats.

Susan
Don't you know? America = land of cowboys. Just ask Mr. Bush.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up