Is "Jig-of-Slurs" HARD, or what!?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

fel bautista wrote:Must be the cosmic tune to learn; just cracked a tune book open and there it was. I've started learning it on fiddle; must try it on UP when the tune gets in my head.

so slur is GHB ornament? where is the cut/pat done??
I think what throws people is the term "slur." As with "The Irish Washerwoman," the fourth part of the tune is almost impossible to play without tonguing. Being called the "Jig of Slurs," there is probably a mentla block against tonguing, since the title implies slurs as they are known to whistle players, not pipers. In my short and aborted attempt at learning the GHB, I learned about the misunderstanding, and ever after forgave myself for tonguing more on this tune than I do on most.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

fancypiper wrote: I find the Atholl Highlanders is much harder jig to play ......

Agreed, that's another! I love AH, but it is a bear!

Thanks for giving me permission to play it slow :P
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Matt's "Slurs".

Post by kenny »

Surprised that no-one's mentioned Matt Molloy's recording of it on "Stoney Steps". Quite different from the original, but I'm sure G.S. would have approved.
It's a trickier tune than a lot of people think.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"