Radiused fretboards on mandolin-good idea?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Radiused fretboards on mandolin-good idea?

Post by greenspiderweb »

I've been having some tendonitis while playing flute, and and am going to try mandolin again. Has anyone with tendonitis found some relief with the radiused fretboards? I've read about David Grisman getting relief when his hands were bad. Is it always preferrable to have it?

Most entry level mandolins have a flat fretboard, but some, like Kentucky can be had starting for about $250 I think-don't know if there are others though.

Whatever you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks!
~~~~
Barry
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Many people do prefer a radius - especially, it seems, bluegrass players.

An increasing number of entry-level mandos have them. Eastman mandos, for example, have a radius of about 12".

I have mandolins with both flat and radiused boards and I have to say it makes little difference to me. In fact, if anything I prefer the flat boards, especially for tunes. Radius may help some with chords, but personally I find the difference minimal.

IMO there are more important considerations. For example, make sure that the action - especially at the nut - is low enough that notes and chords can be fretted without effort. It may also be a good idea to start off with relatively light strings.

Many of the luthiers who post on the Mandolin Cafe board think that larger frets also contribute to ease of playing. That is another thing you may want to take into account.

Mandolin Cafe is another place you may want to enquire. There's plenty of experience over there. www.mandolincafe.com.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I play a Weber Beartooth, (flat-boarded). I have tried radiused fingerboard instruments for short periods, but never owned one. The difference to me was negligible. But, as always, YMMV.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

I personally like a radiused fb, but i own mandolins both with and without a radius. I agree that setup is more important -- low action on a flat fb is preferable to higher action on a radiused board.

I have one mandolin with a radius and small frets, i had the action set up low by the Gibson shop, and it plays like butter. I think bigger frets can enhance playability, but on some mandolins they don't intonate as well and it's harder to get slides to sound good (sliding being something which i tend to like to do).

Another thing that can help is a 1-3/16" fb width (as opposed to the more common 1-1/8" -- amazing what a difference 1/16" can make).

Breedloves come with a radius, big frets and 1-3/16" standard. Michael Kelly has radiused boards on most models too, but i've heard mixed reviews about those. Eastman has a better reputation AFAIK.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Thanks for the replies, guys! Yes, it does seem that many times radius vs flat is a personal preference-from what I've read on the mandolin cafe too.

But I was wondering if it helped anyone with tendonitis to play more easily. Maybe I should ask that particular question on the cafe-many more players there who may have had some hand problems like that before.

Good point about the setup being most important-I think that's true too, and sure makes sense-thanks.

That wider fingerboard sounds like it just might have some good effect also, thanks Rob. Maybe if I stick with the mandolin now after my intro model (have played it a little before, and fiddle too), I'll see about the radius and or the wider fretboard then too.
~~~~
Barry