snow?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

snow?

Post by Jack »

Um...it's not supposed to snow when we're nearing the second week of April.

And last week I finally threw away my heavy winter coat because it was tattered...I thought the warm weather was here to stay and I could just buy a new one next winter! So now I'm wearing two smaller jackets to keep warm. Brrr!

Just last week it was in the 60s and 70s and bright and sunny!

You can tell I'm a transplant. I've lived here almost 2 years and I'm still not used to Kentucky weather (Kentucky weather changes, to be more precise).

We need a smiley that means "brr!" This one will have to do: :shock: That's how I feel this morning.

Oh, and all the tulips died. :(

/grumble, grumble, complain...
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

It's 24 degrees with six inches of new snow this morning. (Thankyouverymuch!)

Best wishes,
Jerry
emmline

Post by emmline »

We have a dusting, which is more than I can use. Back to warm jackets in the house. I'm not interested in a continuation of this pattern.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It's 17 degrees here, but Celsius. It's lovely and has been so for a week. We went surfing in Spanish Point yesterday (bless the wetsuits, the ocean was 10 celsius) and this morning I painted the house. Or most of it, will have to get back up the ladder and finish the trims.
missy

Post by missy »

Cran- this whole area has a saying, if you don't like the weather, stay a day, it will change (except in August....).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

missy wrote:Cran- this whole area has a saying, if you don't like the weather, stay a day, it will change (except in August....).
I might be coming to Cinncinatti on Cinco de Mayo (fifth of May) for a Gay Christian Network regional gathering. I hope it doesn't snow! :boggle:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jerry Freeman wrote:It's 24 degrees with six inches of new snow this morning. (Thankyouverymuch!)

Best wishes,
Jerry
You'rewelcomeverymuch. You can keep all the snow up there in the North, for all I care. :P
missy

Post by missy »

Cranberry wrote:
missy wrote:Cran- this whole area has a saying, if you don't like the weather, stay a day, it will change (except in August....).
I might be coming to Cinncinatti on Cinco de Mayo (fifth of May) for a Gay Christian Network regional gathering. I hope it doesn't snow! :boggle:
Me too! We have to play for the Flying Pig Marathon that Sunday - at 6am!!! It was cold last year, but got nicer as the day went on.
Missy

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In the UK it's "If you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes..."

Kentucky isn't too far off the UK for climate. If I remember rightly. So the rule is "Ne'er cast your clout till the May be out!" And in case there's any confusion, that means, you don't take your overcoat off until the Hawthorn is in blossom. And you need to know the difference between Cherry Blossom (blooms in February) Blackthorn (Blooms in late February and March) and Hawthorn (blooms in April/May). It's easy to spot the difference really. With Cherry-blossom and Blackthorn there are no leaves. With Hawthorn the leaves come first.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Try being a gardener, that'll teach you the vagaries of nature intimately.

The AVERAGE last frost date in my area is April 15, but I take the advice of the old farmer next door and don't plant til May 1.

:cry: I think the tiny forming peaches and pears and apples and plums on my trees are a total loss this year tho'.
missy

Post by missy »

Cincinnati's frost free date is May 15th, although we did have a frost on May 21st a few years ago.
"Usually" one is ok to put tender plants out on Mother's Day.
Missy

Jack

Post by Jack »

I want to blame global warming.

But I think that's too easy in some ways.

The sun is out. The snow's still here. All the tulips, and I mean all of the tulips, which yesterday were bright as the sun and upright and tall and proper and elegant, are today drooped and wilted and dead.
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

'twas quite chilly here in east tn this morning, 23 when i got up. the dogwoods look like wet tissue paper, and even the trees are wilted.

a few years back, our last frost was in march - even out here in the country. a year before that it was May 1.

reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

missy wrote:Cincinnati's frost free date is May 15th,
I think its the same for Chicago.

If any of the herbs in my garden don't survive the 20 degree temps we've been having the past few days, all the better. They wouldn't have been good for the medicine I grow them for if they can't take the same climate stresses I live under.

Myself? I dug out my thermal underware again. Last night I even had a pair of sweat pants under my jeans when I went out.

The plus side? (no pun intended) I don't tell my over-weight friends how many layers of clothing I have on so for the few months of the winter we really bond.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

We drove a couple of hours to the western portion of the northern tier of New York state today, while there was still a "lake effect snow warning" issued. It wasn't too bad (Watertown, the place we were headed, is a bit north of where the bands of snow coming off the lake were hitting)...but it's always interesting how lake effect snow comes down like mad while the band of snow oscillates toward you, and then when it oscillates away, the sun comes out like nothing happened. In the meantime, you end up with 2 feet of snow on the ground...although, thankfully, this wasn't the case today.

Here, where I am (not in the lake effect snow belt, despite how close I am to the lakes in general...I'm north enough that it usually doesn't hit me), we got a dusting and that was it. But it's cold and windy and nasty none the less.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.