What Must Be Endured: A Post by Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: Perhaps, but I have to wonder just what she really knows about Rock. :wink:
OI!!!
I play whistle in a rock band!!!
Is your name Tyler "Sinead" Morris? I thought not. :P

Two more words:

Iron Butterfly.
No, just one word....

INNAGADDADAVIDABABY!!!!! :P :lol: :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Tyler Morris wrote: No, just one word....

INNAGADDADAVIDABABY!!!!! :P :lol: :D
now THAT'S a guitar solo (and it works on mountain dulcimer, too!!!)

bum, bum, bumbumbumbum, Bum Bum Bum
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

That's not a guitar solo. That's a lead riff. Inagaddadavida is known mainly for the drum solo. Now, where's my bodhrán .....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote:
Dale wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:I was shopping today at a supermarket here in Indianapolis. To my surprise I saw a lady with her son standing in the dairy aisle, and the kid was bouncing his basketball up and down on the tile floor. I almost told the lady that it might be a good idea if the kid left the basketball in the car while they were shopping and that I just wanted to buy my lowfat yogurt in peace without having to listen to the bounce, bounce, bounce, ad infinitum. In other parts of the same store I saw that a horde of kids had descended on the bicycle department and were riding them around the store. I thought to myself, "Let me out of here!"
Parents who are oblivious to their children's obnoxious behavior is a pet peeve of mine. I was reading a public forum about parenting just yesterday and someone was complaining about people bringing loud and badly behaved kids to nice restaurants, theatres, etc. A mother responded by saying that, frankly, she didn't really care what people think about her kids behavior--all she is interested in is her family and her kids. I think that kind of attitude is out there, but more common is just parents who apparently haven't been raised to be considerate of others. I 'm one of those people who think the decline of manners and civility is a really serious problem.
I agree whole-heartedly.

In the past few years, I have often seen children actually allowed to run around in restaurants, even to the point of running near the kitchen doors. They are really endangering themselves because the servers are carrying things that could spill on the children and hurt them. The servers can't discipline other people's children and the children are obviously too restless to be in a restaurant---I think the parents sit and talk too long---I can't understand why those parents allow such a situation. I really think the manager could politely tell the parents that the children could get burned by falling hot food (not to mention the server falling down and breaking an ankle and getting burned as well) and that they have to remain seated for their own safety (they wouldn't have to mention that they are driving everyone else crazy).

I have turned into such an old lady. On a number of occasions I've seen some children behave so well or so safely---a group of children having breakfast at a motel, a little girl in a parking lot, etc.----I've actually told the mother (the dad wasn't there or, of course, I would have included him) how impressed I was. The nice behavior was not the behavior of children who had been oppressed, they weren't subdued and unhappy. Everyone was having a good time, they just weren't flinging food around and running and screaming. The parent had done lots of work so that the group could be happy and safe. It seems so dorky, but I want those people to know that their hard work in kindly correcting their children for their own safety and so that they will get along with others has been noticed. I must say that those mothers do get a big smile on their faces and they do say that it has taken a lot of daily hard work. I think a lot of people are too tired to keep up the constant little tiny gentle comments and examples that have to set so that children will learn consideration for others. And I do agree, that many have not been taught to be considerate themselves and so they do not even notice that their children are not considerate.
It's amazing. We took our daughters with us all the time to eat in restaurants. Early on, with all three of them, we had a couple of "instructional moments." When they misbehaved in public, and didn't respond to a prompt to straighten up, I'd get up from the table, snatch the daughter up, and carry her out of the restaurant. I'd go out to the car and strap her in and read my newspaper in the front seat while she screamed and cried. My wife would bring our dinners out in to-go boxes and I'd eat when I got home. I only had to do that a total of about six or seven times with three daughters and then they got it.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Re: What Must Be Endured: A Post by Dale Wisely

Post by Flyingcursor »

Dale wrote:is trying to learn the bass hook from Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." He's making no progress whatsoever.

This is what must be endured.
That's sad. It's really an easy part. It's the bridge that gets tricky.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Dale wrote:It's amazing. We took our daughters with us all the time to eat in restaurants. Early on, with all three of them, we had a couple of "instructional moments."
I think you get that with any child you take out into public...it's all in how you deal with it, as a parent, that makes the difference (and you all have pretty much pointed that out, I think). Going out to a restaurant with my family can definitely be a challenge, that's for sure. But even with the large number of children, I've had people come up to me, amazed at how well behaved "all those kids" were. Yeah, I'm sure that some of that had to do with me, but in the end, I think it has more to do with the fact that I have some pretty great kids :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Ah, a post about boys . . . and rock . . . and loud music . . . and ITRAD. And it reminded me of this fellow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034_IYe8xt4
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

My town has one of these -- EXCESSIVE NOISE CONSTITUTING DISTURBANCE OF PEACE. I'll bet yours has one, too.

It only takes a phone call to find out.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
brianc

Post by brianc »

Dale wrote:A little gaggle of 13 year old boys who live across the street from me have formed a garage band. Every afternoon when I come home, they have their garage door open and are practicing. The bass player, with his amp cranked up to 11, is trying to learn the bass hook from Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." He's making no progress whatsoever.

This is what must be endured.
Glad to hear that young teens are still learning the classics. :party:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Father Emmet wrote:
Dale wrote:... boys who live across the street from me have formed a garage band.
... a couple of quarts of beer will fix it so the intonation does not offend your ear ..
Buying beer for minors would be illegal...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

brewerpaul wrote:
Father Emmet wrote:
Dale wrote:... boys who live across the street from me have formed a garage band.
... a couple of quarts of beer will fix it so the intonation does not offend your ear ..
Buying beer for minors would be illegal...
No, no. It's an old Irish trick. You soak the electric bass in a barrel of Guinness overnight. Does wonders for the tone!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde