Flute & Harp...suggestions please

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
KateG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute & Harp...suggestions please

Post by KateG »

We will be spending Easter with a musical friend. One of her instruments is the harp (both lever and pedal). We thought it might be fun to try some flute and harp duets. O'Carolan comes to mind...but I don't know of any harmonies to his pieces, at least as they were written and it would be fun to stray from the strict unison of ITM and Old Time. A trio might be amusing too, since my husband plays mandolin and piano. I know that some of you stray from the straight and narrow path of pure drop Irish. So, any suggestions?
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

I have a book called Celtic Music for Flute. It has arrangements
of Irish and Scottish music (some by modern composers). Most
tunes include chords, and many have variations that can be
played as countermelodies. Maybe that would help...

I have played whistle against a Harpist playing chords at
session, and it is a really cool sound. You will enjoy yourself!
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Limerick's Lamentation

Sliabh Geal gCua

I was at the Féis Shiàtail last year where Mary MacMaster was harp instructor. At an informal session I was stumbling through The Pikeman's and Lord Mayo and the harp really transformed it. I don't know about Irish harpers but marches are popular with Scottish harpers.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

The character of Carolan tunes is so different on flute than it is on harp, harmonies are really unnecessary. I suggest you both carry the melody and let your husband do fills on the mandolin. Should create an enchanting sound. I used to play with a friend who lived and breathed Carolan, and that's what we used to do, minus the harp. Carolan's tunes are best on harp, anyway, so the result should be delightful.

Have fun!
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

What's a good source for printed O'Carolan tunes? I know I've seen them somewhere, but I can't remember where!

Jeanie
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Hoovorff wrote:What's a good source for printed O'Carolan tunes? I know I've seen them somewhere, but I can't remember where!

Jeanie
There are a bunch in the venerable O'Neil's Music of Ireland. Out of the 1850 tunes, there's a whole section devoted to O'Carolan. However, there are probably better sources, but you might already have access to O'Neil's, and just not remember the O'Carolan section.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Bart Wijnen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Bart Wijnen »

Kate, I have the complete O' Carolan collection overhere, but it's unisono so I reckon it'll be no good.

But I also have Capt. Fraser Scotland and the Isles collection "an admired plain harmony for the Pianoforte, Harp, Organ or Violoncello". Over two hundred tunes.

I can't give the book away, but if you drop me a PM telling in what keys you'd want to play (think it might be with one or two sharps) I'd be glad to scan some tunes and send it to you.
Bart
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Limerick's Lamentation

Sliabh Geal gCua

I was at the Féis Shiàtail last year where Mary MacMaster was harp instructor. At an informal session I was stumbling through The Pikeman's and Lord Mayo and the harp really transformed it. I don't know about Irish harpers but marches are popular with Scottish harpers.
Mary MacMaster is Da Bomb! I'd love to see her play/take a workshop.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
KateG

Post by KateG »

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions....some good ideas there. I have O'Neils and the complete O'Carolan, so I'll bring those along. We're all fairly competant sight readers, being refugees from classical music, so we ought to be able to work out some tunes. It should be fun. Who knows, it might lead to gigs playing in cocktail lounges wearing low-cut black velvet gowns -- I think one might look quite fetching on my husband :P .

Bart, I've sent you a PM ...some Scottish tunes would be heavenly.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

askoarras

Post by askoarras »

Just let me say MICHAEL ROONEY - he can make you forget he's playing harp and that's surely a good thing. He and June McCormack can cook up a storm - no not a Desert Storm - Michael and June can probably justify what they are doing. Although of course it is a harp, so who knows. Either way ...
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Wow, berti, NICE!!!!

Thanks
M
DADGAD

Post by DADGAD »

A decent book of flute/harp pieces is "St. Brigid's Flame", arrangements by Mary Radspinner [afghanpress.com]. It's suitable for pedal or lever harps.

Another great work for flute/harp is The Battle of Kinsale, a non-traditional piece from (bite your collective tongues) the James Galway and Phil Coulter Book, "Legends."

I get a lot of stuff from Melody's Harp Shop(http://www.folkharp.com/)..excellent source of harp related music.
Scram gravy aint wavy
KateG

Post by KateG »

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, and to Bart for selections from Fraser. The evening was amazing. We ended up doing a few Carolan tunes, plus some miscellaneous stuff like Tom Anderson's Da Slocket Light, The Ash Grove, Dark Island and a wonderful Finish waltz in Gm (let's hear it for keys), Metsakkukkia.

But the evening really took an unexpected twist in the form of an unannouced guest...who was a fabulous fingerstyle blues guitarist. Not only did Toby have a superb repetoire and an amazing command of his instrument, he was totally adventurous and utterly fearless...and with a musical sense of humor to boot! Fifteen minutes of jamming on the Playford tune "Childgrove" with Toby on guitar, my husband on mandolin, me on Mt. Dulcimer and my friend Carol on bass was only the beginning. St. James Infirmary with riffs on the mando and my flute..... Not sure what you'd call the result, but it all sounded good and was a wonderful musical conversation. Pure drop whatever can be wonderful, but was sure fun to let the old hair down and fly!