Alan Doherty's Flute? (Grada)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Guinness

Alan Doherty's Flute? (Grada)

Post by Guinness »

I was listening to track 5, anto's gambit cuig, and the tone of his flute and his playing are just superb. Anyone know what he's playing? TIA

http://www.worldtrad.org/MP3/WFO3/Alan_Doherty.mp3

emmdee

Alan Docherty's flute

Post by emmdee »

I've not seen Alan for a couple of years, but he was playing a Grinter then. That one in the pic could certainly be a Grinter.
He has a very thick (don't mean stupid) Dub accent, and he saw mine once and asked me "Is dah a Moike Grin'hur flewh"? Priceless.
He's some piper too, by the way.
m.d.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

he played a keyless Grinter here as well.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Re: Alan Doherty's Flute? (Grada)

Post by rama »

i believe that's an e-flat flute
smoro

Post by smoro »

Yes, 6 keyed Grinter.
S.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

When I first saw Grada here in Cope and Hague, in 2002, he was playing a Seery - but that one was since replaced by the keyed Grinter. I believe his Eb flute is a Grinter too. His Bb was made by Dave Williams (one of very few Bb that he made). His F flute I recall as an antique.

He's quite a fluter, Mr. Doherty.
Last edited by pixyy on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

I saw them in December, met Alan and played his flutes. The D is a Grinter, I couldn´t play it in tune at all like my own one which shows to me what a great player he is. The Eb is a De Keyser which was a lovely player and the Bb was made by Geoff Woof which Alan thought was one of only two that he has made,. The fingering stretch was not much more than the D if I remember correctly.

Colin
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Goldie wrote:I saw them in December, met Alan and played his flutes. The D is a Grinter, I couldn´t play it in tune at all like my own one which shows to me what a great player he is. The Eb is a De Keyser which was a lovely player and the Bb was made by Geoff Woof which Alan thought was one of only two that he has made,. The fingering stretch was not much more than the D if I remember correctly.

Colin
Geoff Woof, yes. I stand corrected.
Was a pipemaker though, so my memory did not desert me entirely.

cheers Colin!

Jeroen
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Goldie wrote:The Eb is a De Keyser which was a lovely player...
Wait a minute, I have one of those in D. Dang, you mean I don't have any excuses?! :swear:

Thanks for all the responses.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Guinness wrote:
Goldie wrote:The Eb is a De Keyser which was a lovely player...
Wait a minute, I have one of those in D. Dang, you mean I don't have any excuses?! :swear:

Thanks for all the responses.
Absolutely :P I also have a keyless DeKeyser in D which is a lovely player and will not part with it. From what I have seen of Arie's flutes I think they are underrated.

Colin
kayaal

Post by kayaal »

I have a de kayzer D aswell and its a great player.I also have a grinter which is beautiful in all aspects.That man has taste.Great flute player.
askoarras

Post by askoarras »

Doesn't look too much like a Grinter to me - that ornate end-cap doesn't resemble either of my Grinters, or of any others I have seen. For that matter doesn't look much like my D Wooff flute either!
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

I'm sure his tone is superb. Just bare in mind the sound engineer, audio mix can have a huge influence on the tone we end up hearing.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

my opinion is he has too much reverb and echo----------no reflection on his talent
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

gorjuswrex wrote:I'm sure his tone is superb. Just bare in mind the sound engineer, audio mix can have a huge influence on the tone we end up hearing.
exactly