Pork and Split-Pea Soup - sharing a recipe

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Pork and Split-Pea Soup - sharing a recipe

Post by dfernandez77 »

I cooked an old American standard last weekend, with a couple extra flavors of my own.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound salt pork
1 jalapeño pepper
1 large yellow onion
1/2 pound carrot bits
1/2 bunch of celery
1 pound dried split-peas
1 bottle of beer
1 pound smoked ham hocks
1 cup dried orange lentils

• Chop the salt pork in half inch strips.
• Thin slice the end of the pointy end of the jalapeño pepper, the stem side has too much heat.
• Rough cube the onion.
• Chop the end 1/2 of the celery in about 1/4 inch slices, including the leaf.

Get a pig pot. Toss in the salt pork and jalapeño slices and cook them up real hot. This extracts the pork-fat from the salt pork, crisps up the pork belly, and diffuses the heat from the jalapeño through the pork-fat. You need the pork-fat to caramelize the other vegetables.

Toss in the onion, carrot bits, and celery. Leave the fire nice and hot and stir it constantly - keep it moving. This "caramelizes" the vegetables - the natural sugar is drawn to the surface and browns and sweetens.

Toss in the split-peas when the veggies are done and stir another couple minutes. This toasts the split-peas a little for a rich flavor.

Pour in the bottle of beer and stir it up good for a minute or so. This de-glazes the toasted layer off the bottom of the pan so the caramelized flavors get in the soup.

Add the smoked ham hocks and two quarts of water.

Add the lentils, lower the heat, let it cook. I like the lentils for flavor, and they make the soup less sweet.

Now it's done. Some people like it thick like this - some like it with more water like soupy. Either way is good for me.

Get a bowl and some good bread... and eat up!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

That's largely the same ingredients I use -- I don't do the salt pork, usually either a ham bone or chunk of country ham. I don't do jalapenos, as my kid doesn't do hot stuff these days; but I do add some black or white pepper and parsley, a bay leaf, and some other stuff like thyme or savory. I've been known to add lentils, though it's not habit, never tried beer.

There's really almost nothing better on a cold rainy day than split-pea soup.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The basic idea behind that recipe must be common to many styles of cooking. I have recipes from Brazil and Scotland that only differ in the kind of pork used. (No peppers or beer either.) My mother told me not so long ago that the Scottish version involves yellow split peas but I'd swear she used greeen peas when I was a child. I still cook a slightly less elaborate version of this for cold winter nights.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

How long do you cook it?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

FJohnSharp wrote:How long do you cook it?
Until it's done.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Droooooooooooooooool...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Those pictures are great! I can almost smell that soup...
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Congratulations wrote:
Until it's done.
Exactly!

It's very scientific.
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Wombat wrote: I still cook a slightly less elaborate version of this for cold winter nights.
A cooking philosopher?!?!

I love you man!

If I ever go to Oz, can I go by your place for some split-pea soup, black bread, a pint or three, and some philosophizing?

A'course my unstructured Tao philosophy might get me kicked out before I'm finished with the second pint.

:D
Daniel

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dfernandez77 wrote:
Wombat wrote: I still cook a slightly less elaborate version of this for cold winter nights.
A cooking philosopher?!?!

I love you man!

If I ever go to Oz, can I go by your place for some split-pea soup, black bread, a pint or three, and some philosophizing?

A'course my unstructured Tao philosophy might get me kicked out before I'm finished with the second pint.

:D
Sure can Daniel. I wouldn't worry about being kicked out. :D
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Nice, looks like good old lentil or pea and ham soup with embellishments. I particuarly like the bit where you put a bottle of beer into it.

I might try this version for fun. Looks like a very hearty soup!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Looks tasty, but whatever am I to do with the other five bottles of beer in the six-pack?
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Boy, that sure does look good and the pictures are so great as well. I find the flavor of split peas to be a bit overwhelming, so that idea about adding some lentils seems like a very good one. What a fun thread to find!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Next time try it with yellow peas. I much prefer them to split/green peas in soup.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

dfernandez77 wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
Until it's done.
Exactly!

It's very scientific.
Right, but I mean, is it an hour or three hours. Can I start this soup at 4:00 or do I need to start it at noon?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony