Calling all 8-key players

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Cubitt wrote:Jim,

Good point about where to rest the pinkie. I rest mine on the small block that separates the C# and C-nat keys. It is comfortable for me, supports the finger well, and leaves the pinkie centrally located to move to whatever key is wanted. Don't know what the options are on pin-mounted models.
Grey Larson does this too. I can't reach so far.

I can't do Rockstro either.

The Eb position does work OK and generally when one goes for
the bottom two keys so many fingers are down that the flute
is in no way destabilized by the pinky's motion.

I believe venting the Eb key is at least harmless and
my improve tuning on some notes/flutes.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

jim stone wrote:
Cubitt wrote:Jim,

Good point about where to rest the pinkie. I rest mine on the small block that separates the C# and C-nat keys. It is comfortable for me, supports the finger well, and leaves the pinkie centrally located to move to whatever key is wanted. Don't know what the options are on pin-mounted models.
Grey Larson does this too. I can't reach so far.

I can't do Rockstro either.

The Eb position does work OK and generally when one goes for
the bottom two keys so many fingers are down that the flute
is in no way destabilized by the pinky's motion.

I believe venting the Eb key is at least harmless and
my improve tuning on some notes/flutes.
One advantage to your method is that you're on the Eb key when you want it. I find that if I am not concentrating on it, I kind of have to search for it, as it's not in as natural (at least, for me) a position for me as on a Boehm flute.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

when i had an antique 8key rr, i vented E-flat regularly. (overtime i slacked off for dance tunes and just rested pinkie on the touch which became a natural position for me). from there, i could then ornament low D with C# as an alternative to cranning (DC#D). it seemed like fairly easy reach from the Eflat key touch position. i got a kick out of myself. nobody else seemed to care though.
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Cubitt wrote:I'm sure you know what you're doing, Alan, but I can't help but get a mental image of you playing "The Mason's Apron" faster and faster, with the flute gradually bouncing up and down until it looks like you're playing in a 7.5 earthquake. No need to do cuts or strikes, the flute simply comes up to meet your fingers, rather than the other way around. :boggle:
Well, I don't play "The Mason's Apron" but I play plenty of other tunes including some that go at a pretty good clip and I have no problem with the flute bouncing around so your mental image is quite inappropriate.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I hope you know I meant that as a joke, Alan, not a slight. I save my inapprpriate mental images for Sharon Stone.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Cubitt wrote:I hope you know I meant that as a joke, Alan, not a slight. I save my inapprpriate mental images for Sharon Stone.
Hee hee... no problem! I should have put a winking smiley at the end of my post to leaven what I see might be perceived as pique. :wink:
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I'm relieved. I would never want to offend another Alan, my real name, especially since you spell it correctly.
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

I use the E-flat key to actively vent most notes
Niall Keegan really emphasises using the Eflat key to vent most notes including high d and e.

After a workshop I attended when I was floating the pinkie on the eflat, I changed to venting and have found my hand position much better as a result.

If the pinkie is on the Eflat, it's no work to move it forward to the low C / C#. Most flutes have a fairly similar space ratio of Eflat to the low keys.

And Eflat is a great note - comes up out of the blue in some tunes, Roslyn Castle, and can be an "ornament" in loads of others.
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Grey Larson will be in Elkins West Virginia in June coming. I'll get to see what he does with the C and C#. I have an R&R with the golf club tough for C and C# patterened after the Chris Norman boxwood. Mine is in cocobolo with a lip plate. I used to have trouble with all the C notes, like most of you until I got this flute. The low notes play as easy as any outers.

I am shocked that I am the only one I know that is going to the Timber Festival in WV in June. It is a wood flute Festival but it is 18th century, folk, and ITM. Excellent flute players for instructers all around. Look at the Timber Festival thread herein.

Back to right hand-pinkie-touches. I hate the straight touches like on the German Nach Meyer flutes. I have an old flute with the long Bb key that Jon Cochron is working on all this weekend (I hope). Do any of you all have a flute with that long touch Bb key? Do they work OK? The one Jon is fixing up is from the Austra-Hungrey, pre WW I VF Cerveny Company. It is a tapered wooden flute with a metal headjoint that plugs in over to wood second section and a weird "mustash-looking-thing anound a Bohem embouchure. You all try to talk Jon in puting up a picture on this forum. I don't have a camara.

Nelson
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Nelson wrote:Grey Larson will be in Elkins West Virginia in June coming. I'll get to see what he does with the C and C#. I have an R&R with the golf club tough for C and C# patterened after the Chris Norman boxwood. Mine is in cocobolo with a lip plate. I used to have trouble with all the C notes, like most of you until I got this flute. The low notes play as easy as any outers.

I am shocked that I am the only one I know that is going to the Timber Festival in WV in June. It is a wood flute Festival but it is 18th century, folk, and ITM. Excellent flute players for instructers all around. Look at the Timber Festival thread herein.

Back to right hand-pinkie-touches. I hate the straight touches like on the German Nach Meyer flutes. I have an old flute with the long Bb key that Jon Cochron is working on all this weekend (I hope). Do any of you all have a flute with that long touch Bb key? Do they work OK? The one Jon is fixing up is from the Austra-Hungrey, pre WW I VF Cerveny Company. It is a tapered wooden flute with a metal headjoint that plugs in over to wood second section and a weird "mustash-looking-thing anound a Bohem embouchure. You all try to talk Jon in puting up a picture on this forum. I don't have a camara.

Nelson
Hi Nelson,
I think Grey Larson's flute has a short foot and no C#/C keys...
I will take some photos for you and we can post them. The mustash lip plate is helpful for placeent of the lip, as it fits right in there... It works quite well.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Nelson wrote:Grey Larson will be in Elkins West Virginia in June coming. I'll get to see what he does with the C and C#. I have an R&R with the golf club tough for C and C# patterened after the Chris Norman boxwood. Mine is in cocobolo with a lip plate. I used to have trouble with all the C notes, like most of you until I got this flute. The low notes play as easy as any outers.

Nelson
Here you go Nelson.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Hant that the cat's mayawl. Do you think I can sound the low B or Bb which ever it is? Anyone who comes to Grey Larson's Timber Festival from the C&F can use this flute while they are there; and they can mess with me Scottish Highlands Bagpipes also. Anyone wants a flyer on the festival, write ggillimeister@insightbb.com .It is in june in Elkins West Virginia, USA.

Nelson
PS Three cheers for Jon Cochren. Hipp harray. Hipp Harray. Hipp Harray.
Meadhbh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Meadhbh »

Nelson wrote:Anyone wants a flyer on the festival, write ggillimeister@insightbb.com. It is in june in Elkins West Virginia, USA.
Thanks for helping get the word out Nelson! :wink:
If anyone would like more info just drop a line to
ggillmeister at insightbb dot com
spadgulika

C&C#

Post by spadgulika »

Try this guy on a Holmes-McNaughton flute - Plenty of C&C#'s in this clip. Not to mention Eb's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kphr82-bcQ0