Koehler and Quinn

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TimBenson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Koehler and Quinn

Post by TimBenson »

Are Koehler and Quinn taking orders? There seems to be some confusion; I have heard both 'yes' and 'no' from different people.
chanterdan
antispam: No

Post by chanterdan »

OH NO,now the wife will have to get a second job! :lol:
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

This is weird - why post the questions as to whether makers are taking orders on the forum when the best / only people to be able to answer them acurately are the makers themselves.

First Rogge and now Koehler and Quinn. Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread from all the makers saying whether they are taking orders, how long the wait is, how much they are charging to save us all toubling them with tiresome personal enquiries. :evil:
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Well..... yes and no ;)

Pat.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've heard that to get on the list you have to pass a series of interviews and auditions where you are rated not only on your piping skills but also on deportment and presentation. The final decision only taken after a 3 hour written exam - essay-type questions on the history of piping and pipemaking with points deducted for spelling and punctuation errors. :wink:
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:I've heard that to get on the list you have to pass a series of interviews and auditions where you are rated not only on your piping skills but also on deportment and presentation. The final decision only taken after a 3 hour written exam - essay-type questions on the history of piping and pipemaking with points deducted for spelling and punctuation errors. :wink:
You forgot the stress test... :D

I think the answer to your question Tim, will be forth coming should you give 'em a call. They will tell you with absolute certainty whether or not they are accepting orders.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

PJ wrote:I've heard that to get on the list you have to pass a series of interviews and auditions where you are rated not only on your piping skills but also on deportment and presentation. The final decision only taken after a 3 hour written exam - essay-type questions on the history of piping and pipemaking with points deducted for spelling and punctuation errors. :wink:
There is sadly much more truth to this comic statement than one may think - and from more than just one maker.
Joseph E. Smith

Brian Lee wrote:
There is sadly much more truth to this comic statement than one may think - and from more than just one maker.
Sadly? I do not see it that way. To my way of thinking, an interview process could lead to shorter waiting times... in regard to good pipes going to those who actually play them instead of some who might want to play or others who want to turn around and sell them at a mark up.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Sadly? I do not see it that way. To my way of thinking, an interview process could lead to shorter waiting times... in regard to good pipes going to those who actually play them instead of some who might want to play or others who want to turn around and sell them at a mark up.
Yeah - sadly. But to each their own.
Cheers
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:
Sadly? I do not see it that way. To my way of thinking, an interview process could lead to shorter waiting times... in regard to good pipes going to those who actually play them instead of some who might want to play or others who want to turn around and sell them at a mark up.
I forgot to mention the swim-suit competition. :boggle:
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

PJ wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Brian Lee wrote: There is sadly much more truth to this comic statement than one may think - and from more than just one maker.
I forgot to mention the swim-suit competition. :boggle:
That might be taking things a little too far... I think...
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

money talks,to bad i don't have any!
Christopher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Christopher »

Maybe enthusiasm, dedication to the music, instrument, reeds, and youthful vigor or perhaps talent or promise might help.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

You can e-mail Quinn (and I think he monitors this bbs), but Koehler isn't into computers, so you have to telephone or write him.

I think Benedict Koehler may have moved, so sorry I can't furnish either.
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

in regard to good pipes going to those who actually play them instead of some who might want to play
I sort of disagree here. I think that anyone, good, bad or otherwise should have acess to quality instruments, and not just the pros. Has it not been said that a good instrument is paramount for the novice to begin on? If they are left little more than Pakistani sets, future generations of pipers are esentially screwed. I believe that if someone has the money and the patience to order from a super-reputable maker, he/she should get his/her pipes regardless if he/she has never played before, or if he(not she in this case) is Paddy Moloney.

People buying pipes from reputable makers just to turn around and sell them sort of gets my goat (meyah), but a purchaser has every right to do what they please with their purchase. I'm not promoting it by any means though. However, injuries can happen, and a person may suddenly (and unfortunatly) find themself unable to play the instrument they have spent so much time and money waiting for/buying. Then, its totally great and noble of them to make it available for someone who can do it justice, instead of letting the set rot under the bed.

I dunno, there's my $3.50 on that subject.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.