Suggestions for a C whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Suggestions for a C whistle?

Post by Flogging Jason »

Since I've recently sold some unused whistles I'm now in the market for a new C whistle. I'm looking for a session grade C whistle. It needs to have plenty of volume...but it also needs to be versatile..able to play slow and mournfully or rough and powerful. I am thinking I would prefer brass but I'm not sure. So far I'm considering a Burke or an SZBE. My limit is about $200....any suggestions?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

If you don't mind the wait, Sindt Cs are very nice. Sweetheart makes the Pro model in C and those are also pretty nice and are available a lot quicker.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I searched and searched some time ago for the best C for me. I even bought, then sold, several.

Eventually I came back full circle to one I already owned but hadn't fully explored. The C tube on my Reyburn D/C set ended up being my pick. It has all the benefits of a Reyburn and that nice warm tone of a well done High C.

Other than that, my Freeman Tweaked Gen is nice, and a Sweetone is charming.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmiller »

I agree that the Reyburn C is a very good choice.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Burke, Humphrey and Alba are all good choices.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

What for fecksake is a 'session-grade' whistle?

This seems to work by the way
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Peter Laban wrote:What for fecksake is a 'session-grade' whistle?
Oh silly Peter.

It's...
Flogging Jason wrote:It needs to have plenty of volume...but it also needs to be versatile..able to play slow and mournfully or rough and powerful.
Which would sound even more lovely with a session-grade player.

In High C, I have a session-grade Generation, and a session-grade Sweetone. Trouble is - I'm not necessarily session-grade meself. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

'Session-grade' sounds about as silly as the often heard here 'professional' (looking) whistle, what does that mean?

Fair play to you if you managed to find a Sweetone C in tune, personally I think that's probably the worst whistle I have ever come across.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Flogging Jason, meet DreamOGreen

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=48936
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

Ah... the've sold allready, but thank you. Yeah I think either the Syn or the Obrien would make good session whistles :)
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i would go for a Burke, they are in that price range, and the volume is good, i just love Burke whistles.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I just had an incredible realization. At my current rate of progress, I'll be able to play at Peter's level by my hundredth birthday. Somebody pass the vitamins...
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Sindt C
Zoe

Post by Zoe »

I just got a Sindt C. Georgeous tone. Now I'm trying to organize a "C session" :)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

A-Musing wrote:I just had an incredible realization. At my current rate of progress, I'll be able to play at Peter's level by my hundredth birthday. Somebody pass the vitamins...
The vitamins may help. I have the impression that other things needed to play like that are any Generation whistle, and play it in the kitchen. :wink:

The professional looking whistle would be wearing nothing less than an Armani suit, silk shirt & tie, and Florsheim shoes.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086