Cigar humidors !

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dunno

Cigar humidors !

Post by Dunno »

Hi there !

I've found plenty of discussion about how to store a flute and how to chose a flute case. Due to my poor english, after few months, (guess) i understand that the flute should be kept at constant humidity and avoid quick change of temp to prevent crack.

So, im wondering, does the right dimension cigar humidor work well as flute case ? I myself think it is perfect since it keep constant humidity at around 70% (suit my Copley), reasonable price, good looking - numbers of choices

About "right dimension", should i chose the one perfectly fit the flute size and hold it tight or chose the one slightly bigger in order to let the flute move and breath easier ???

Thank you !
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

If nothing else, your flute will have that lovely cedar taste.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

I personally use a Humididrawer! :D

It is simply a drawer in an oak cabinet. I keep a tupperware tray (open top) with a damp sponge (full size hand sponge) in it. The humidity is constantly 60-70% and I like the idea that some air is circulating (no mold issues). Plus it can hold several flutes. Now if I could just aquire some more flutes to place in it! :P

All the Best!

Jordan
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Cigar humidors !

Post by Denny »

Dunno wrote:About "right dimension", should i chose the one perfectly fit the flute size and hold it tight or chose the one slightly bigger in order to let the flute move and breath easier ???
bigger...your flute may invite friends in.

yes, the work well when not traveling.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
I got a Rubbermaid container that is 33"x16.6"x13.6" (the sucker is full!) it has a snap cover that has a little ventilation on the rim. Then I just put a open plastic bag with a rag. I put a humdistat in it, the humdity stays around 50%.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Got an antique cigar humidor on EBay......hangs on the wall........holds a dozen flutes.....looks so good the wife lets me hang it in the living room !

Last edited by Jack Bradshaw on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

FWIW, the best stuff for regulating the humidity in your box is the polymer beads that Heartfelt and a couple of other companies make. Just add water and they'll keep the relative humidity in your humidor at 60%, 65%, or 70%, depending on which kind you get. 60% is plenty for flutes; I like 65% for stogies.

That being said, IMHO if you play your flute regularly, you really don't need to go to such lengths to keep it humidified.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Just a quick note to say that sometimes those inexpensive hygrometers
can be off by quite a bit. I did the following test and found that my
hygrometer was reading low by 20 %.
Ro3b wrote: This is a simple and precise way to calibrate a hygrometer: take a small container like a bottle cap, and fill it with salt. Make the salt damp with water (don't soak the salt completely). Place the wet salt and your hygrometer in a ziploc bag, and leave for 8 hours. Your hygrometer should read 75%.

The things you learn from being a cigar smoker...
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... light=salt
(April 2006)

Thanks Ro3b! I was way overhumidifying mine. The grain was starting to
look a little "funny" :o
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Nice case Jack! :boggle:

Now you need to make some racks in it to better display your treasures.

All the Best!

Jordan
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

On advice I read somewhere about miscalibrated hygrometers.

Soak a dish towel in water the wrap your hygrometer up in it and leave for an hour or so.

Its should read 100% after that time. If not there should be a sloted dial on the back and you can adjust it for correct calibration.

I've yet to test that though. Mine seem resonably close.

Another simple humistat is a plastic 35mm film can and lid (if you can still find any) poked full of holes using a hot nail. Cut a new sponge to fit, soak with water and pop into canister. Works like a charm.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Nice case, jack!

You don't have problems with the flutes toppling out when you open the case? Or do you have it laying flat, as opposed to mounted on the wall?

John
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Aodhan wrote:Nice case, jack!

You don't have problems with the flutes toppling out when you open the case? Or do you have it laying flat, as opposed to mounted on the wall?

John
Not normaly....the little foot blocks keep them tilted slightly back....I do want to change those around though to accomadate long "Pratten" bodies better....... (yet another project to keep me from practicing !)
603/329-7322
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Aanvil wrote: Another simple humistat is a plastic 35mm film can and lid (if you can still find any) poked full of holes using a hot nail. Cut a new sponge to fit, soak with water and pop into canister. Works like a charm.
If you know a guitar player, you can use the plastic container a 12AX7 pre amp tube comes in. Narrow enough to fit in a flute case.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Father Emmet wrote:
Aanvil wrote: Another simple humistat is a plastic 35mm film can and lid (if you can still find any) poked full of holes using a hot nail. Cut a new sponge to fit, soak with water and pop into canister. Works like a charm.
If you know a guitar player, you can use the plastic container a 12AX7 pre amp tube comes in. Narrow enough to fit in a flute case.
Or the little coin tubes that collector use instead of paper rolls....
603/329-7322