Polymers -- M&E, Dixon, Seery

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aeonghuis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Polymers -- M&E, Dixon, Seery

Post by Aeonghuis »

Hope I spelt these correctly. I 've played a Tony Dixon polymer (Delrin?) and it was OK, but I had trouble on the high B. 99% chance that's my faulty lip. However, I have no B trouble on my old Sweetheart Rosewood. How does the Dixon compare to the M&E I've heard so much about? And since I've been reading the posts about Seery's, how do they stack up with the others? I've got a nice Copley blackwood (no trouble on ANY note), but I live in Florida and gig outdoors so something non-wood would be nice to have. Thanks in advance for sharing.
Aeonghuis

"Will the musicians AND the bodhran player please report to the stage."
gododdin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gododdin »

I have a polymer M&E and I also have trouble with that old high B. But I've only been playing for about 3 months so it is probably 100% me! Nice flute though, when I can get a half decent sound out of it, it sounds great. Now, all I need is another 10 years or so... :)
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have owned all three (Seery, Dixon, M&E). I also had problems with the high B on the Dixon, but I was a new player then (had it for my first 8 months or so of playing). I'm not sure I'd have the same problem now.

The Seery and M&E are significant steps up from the Dixon. They're both very good flutes, and I suspect you'd be happier with either one. The Seery is pratten based and has a drier "prattenish" sound than the M&E...it's also more in tune with the modern scale whereas the M&E R&R, while not out of tune, retains some of the tuning quirks of older flutes (slightly flat Fnat, low D, etc.). The M&E also has a darker sound - overall, it's just more "rudallesque".

I know that doesn't help much. I liked them both, but only have an M&E now because I got it in a killer deal from Doc, it's keyed while my Seery wasn't, and I only need one flute, especially one polymer one.

The Seery is prettier - it's finish on par with a really good wooden flute. The M&E is more industrial looking, but the interior finish and sound is just as good as the Seery.

Really - either will do for you unless you have a preference sound-wise for a pratten based flute or rudall based flute. Ooh, one final thought, the M&E is machined from rod stock PVC and has a lower softening/melting point than the Seery which is made from delrin. If you think you might accidentally leave it in the car in Florida in the summer, the Seery won't be as likely to go soft on you (the M&E's softening/melting point is just above 140, delrin is up in the 200s I think).

Jon C on this board also supposedly makes very good delrin pratten or rudall based flutes for about the same price...I've not played one so can't give a formal review, but people I know via the net and trust really like his instruments so I think one of his would work for you, too.

Eric
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Oops - double post and now I don't see a delete button...silly forum.

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Jon C on this board also supposedly makes very good delrin pratten or rudall based flutes for about the same price...I've not played one so can't give a formal review, but people I know via the net and trust really like his instruments so I think one of his would work for you, too.
I can wholeheartedly verify this. I received one in Eb from him just this last Monday and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Henke

Post by Henke »

I agree with everything Jayhawk said.
I play both Seery and M&E now, they are both very nice flutes. I like the sound of the M&E more, but I'm acctually concidering swiching to an 8-key Seery, because these days I play flute mostly in ensembles and very little solo and the Seery, being tuned to a modern scale just sounds slightly better with other instruments. Plus it's about the best deal you can get on a quality 8-key block mounted flute.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I play a M&E polymer, and I think it's a nice flute. It has a strong tone, good volume, and is built strong. I have heard it's a little on the heavy side, but I have gotten used to it. Though I am still getting used to the flute, I owned a Seery at one point and found it harder to play, but the Seery was definitely prettier.

-Casey
Life is good.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Henke wrote:I agree with everything Jayhawk said.
I play both Seery and M&E now, they are both very nice flutes. I like the sound of the M&E more, but I'm acctually concidering swiching to an 8-key Seery, because these days I play flute mostly in ensembles and very little solo and the Seery, being tuned to a modern scale just sounds slightly better with other instruments. Plus it's about the best deal you can get on a quality 8-key block mounted flute.
Wow, really, Henke? Is that the best deal around for an 8 key? 450 euros (Delrin D) + 1600 euros for 8 keys=2050 euros=$2730 USD! I know I haven't been shopping for one, but it sounds like a lot to me! Doesn't Maurice Reviol put out a really nice flute (post mounted I know) for a lot less? He's gotten some very positive feedback too! Why block then? Just curious, as I may be down this road in the future (hopefully before I die, anyway)!

Anyway, my vote goes to Paddy Ward for his Delrin D-amazing stuff compared to the others I've tried! And, I really liked the Seery I had, and thought the M&E pretty darn nice too (sound and playability). Never tried a McGee, but this Ward is something else!
~~~~
Barry
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I'd put in a plug for the playability of Jon C delrin flutes. I am currently playing his medium hole Rudall copy, and am very pleased with the sound, tuning, and response.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

On a side note, Glenn Watson sells a 6 key flute for 1400 Euro, which seems very reasonable to me.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Go with the Jon C. I love my M&E, but it has still taken me a while to get used to the old tuning "features" of the M&E R&R. If Jon made keys on his flutes, I would sell everything and get that, but he has been stringing me on for about 1-2 years now....first he gets the equipment....then he replaces some old keys on an antique flute....so at least he is going to right direction.

Get a Jon C.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I like my Jon C a lot. (?medium? holed R & R). Good guy to work with, too. He spent a fair amount of time patiently answering questions and guiding me to the model that matched what I wanted in a flute.

It's a far better flute than I am a player. It sounds good even with my so/so playing, but every so often everything falls into place and I get some hint of what it's actually capable of.

And, being Delrin, it's tough. It rides in my carry-on bag when I travel. So far, it's been played all across the US, western Canada, and Taiwan, but I've only had it a year. Give it a few more and who knows how well-traveled it will be?
Henke

Post by Henke »

greenspiderweb wrote:
Henke wrote:I agree with everything Jayhawk said.
Wow, really, Henke? Is that the best deal around for an 8 key? 450 euros (Delrin D) + 1600 euros for 8 keys=2050 euros=$2730 USD! I know I haven't been shopping for one, but it sounds like a lot to me! Doesn't Maurice Reviol put out a really nice flute (post mounted I know) for a lot less? He's gotten some very positive feedback too! Why block then? Just curious, as I may be down this road in the future (hopefully before I die, anyway)!

Anyway, my vote goes to Paddy Ward for his Delrin D-amazing stuff compared to the others I've tried! And, I really liked the Seery I had, and thought the M&E pretty darn nice too (sound and playability). Never tried a McGee, but this Ward is something else!
Seems like Desi has changed his price list somewhat from what I remember. Okay then, count me out of the Seery market, it's just not worth it any more.
To be honest, I'd much rather go with one of Jon's flutes, I'm sure he'll make a better job with the keys as well, and I'm not really in a hurry yet.
The thing is that if I'm going to replace my M&E with anything, it has to be an 8-key block mounted delrin flute. That's just the way it has to be. I'm not interested in wood, and I'm not interested in post mounted keys.
I don't think Paddy makes delrin flutes any more does he?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

What fingering are you using for high B? XOXOXO?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Henke wrote:...it has to be an 8-key block mounted delrin flute. That's just the way it has to be...
If Delrin, why does it have to be block mounted?