Most Difficult Note to Roll On

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What do you find to be the most difficult notes to roll using a D whistle?

A
43%
B
35%
D
16%
E
5%
F
No votes
G
No votes

Total votes: 37

PeteyWhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Most Difficult Note to Roll On

Post by PeteyWhistle »

Besides for C & C#, I find it most difficult to roll As and Bs...even more difficult than rolling Ds.

What do you find to be the most difficult note to roll (using a D whistle)?
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Most Difficult Note to Roll On

Post by pipersgrip »

PeteyWhistle wrote:Besides for C & C#, I find it most difficult to roll As and Bs...even more difficult than rolling Ds.

What do you find to be the most difficult note to roll (using a D whistle)?
same thing, i think it is harder on the A and B.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

E then A for me. I think I am actually slightly left handed - but went right handed because that was the way of the world.

Quick and precise movements with multiple fingers are easier for me to learn with my left hand.

I have to practice ornamentations and such more on the bottom end of the whistle.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

octave D
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

IMHO, the list should actually be:

low D
low E
low F#
low G
low A
low B
low Cnat
low C#
middle D
high E
high F#
high G
high A
high B
(... don't even go there...)

Technically speaking, low and middle D cannot be "rolled" on a whistle unless you're equating it to a crann or if one has a low C hole on their whistle. Same goes for C#, it really can't be rolled but it can be double or triple cut. High A and B can be rolled but it often doesn't sound very crisp (depends on skill and the whistle). The Cnat roll can sound good but again it depends on skill and the whistle/flute. And yet another consideration is whether we a discussing long or short rolls or even double-cut rolls.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

For me it's E. I'm right handed but I play with my right hand on top and my left hand just never could get the tap quick enough on the E roll. Part of this is because my pinkie goes everywhere that my ring finger does and visa-versa. I don't have this problem on my right hand, somehow the tendons or muscles are different and I can move my pinkie and ring finger around separately without affecting each other. For the last year or so I've played double cuts in place of rolls for my E's and it sounds nice and crisp, most probably wouldn't even tell the difference in a recording.
A and B rolls are cake for me... my right hand is on it! :)
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Guinness wrote:Technically speaking, ...middle D cannot be "rolled" on a whistle...
Actually, octave D *can* be rolled, but it's quite a trick - at least as compared to the rest of the more 'regularly' placed notes.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Brian Lee wrote:
Guinness wrote:Technically speaking, ...middle D cannot be "rolled" on a whistle...
Actually, octave D *can* be rolled, but it's quite a trick - at least as compared to the rest of the more 'regularly' placed notes.
And you can roll low D too. Tap your pinky on the end of the tube, covering about half of it.
Brian Boru

Post by Brian Boru »

BoneQuint wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:
And you can roll low D too. Tap your pinky on the end of the tube, covering about half of it.
Have you ever tried that on a low whistle? :o
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Brian Boru wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:
Brian Lee wrote: Actually, octave D *can* be rolled, but it's quite a trick - at least as compared to the rest of the more 'regularly' placed notes.
Not with my finger.
Brian Boru

Post by Brian Boru »

BoneQuint wrote:
Brian Boru wrote:
BoneQuint wrote: And you can roll low D too. Tap your pinky on the end of the tube, covering about half of it.
Not with my finger.
What about public performances?
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Brian Boru wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:
Brian Boru wrote: Have you ever tried that on a low whistle? :o
Not with my finger.
What about public performances?
Let's not go there. :P

As a test balloon I tried this by placing tape over B1 B2 and B3 and cutting with T3. Sounds good but requires rather careful half-covering of the tube end else spurious noises emerge. Difficult with my shorty digits. I think its the cut/tongue low D "roll" for me.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Brian Lee wrote:
Okay, I give up. How do you do it?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

oxx xxx
oxx xox
oxx xxx
ooo xxx
oxx xxx

Not that I ever do this in actual playing, but I just tried it and it works fine. It's also pretty easy to do a C# roll in a (vaguely) similar fashion.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Hmm. Is it really a roll or even a crann?

oxx xxx D
oxx xox Cnat
oxx xxx D
ooo xxx C#
oxx xxx D

It's weird because the grace/blip notes are both lower than the note to be ornamented, like a tap, yet they're fingered like a cut. Is it a cRoll or a CrannP? Anyway it's better than what I've been doing so in my mind it's certainly not Crap. :D