what is a hammer-on?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
makinmusic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by makinmusic »

I've been playing whistle 2 or 3 years. I've got some understanding of ornaments but wanted to "bone-up" on and expand my knowledge so I looked on the web to see what the current instruction books are like. I saw the word "hammer-ons" included in the usual listings of ornaments, rolls, cuts, crans, etc. I had never come across it before. What is it? How do you play it? Is it a carry-over from guitar? Thanks.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

<nohelp>I have no idea, unless it's another term for a tap/strike</nohelp>
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I dunno, but it sounds kinda dirty...

:wink:
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

It's hammering with a Hammer of Bonking with a whistle attachment. I thought everybody knew that.

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia ... nking.html

Steve
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I don't know either but it sounds a lot like what I do to my dulcimer. Image

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Banjo players use them, as they do pull-offs never heard the term used on flute/whistle/pipes in Irish music
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

Peter is correct the term hammer on or hammer off means to place your finger on a string that is already sounding and thus changing the tone. Hammer off of course is to take a finger off a string already sounding and again change the tone.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi, I'd agree with Bretton, sounds like another name for a tap/strike.

Cheers, Mac
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Not to be confused with a "hammer-in," which is a sort of seminar of knife makers to present and teach forgeing techniques.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-10-12 13:57, PhilO wrote:
Not to be confused with a "hammer-in," which is a sort of seminar of knife makers to present and teach forgeing techniques.
weird how you never hear of a term, then you hear it two or three times in a month. I just found out from Roy what a hammer in was!

And the education continues. . .
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm with Peter and Wizzer... heard it on stringed instruments, especially guitar. Some players noted for this style: Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Hammering on and pulling off, as describe by others on this thread, are standard techniques of clawhammer banjo playing (frailing). Unlike tenor banjo, mandolin and plectrum-picked guitar you can't really play tunes in clawhammer style without those techniques as well as some others.

Steve
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I believe the term refers to a kind of rapid-fire double-cut where you bring the finger down hard on a tone hole so that it bounces slightly.

Terms like this often don't have set definitions that are universally agreed upon. Other such terms I have come across but think different musicians are using to describe different things are a "thrill", a "backstitch", and a "doubling".

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
madguy

Post by madguy »

James, you know more about musical terminology than anyone should! :smile:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Backstitching is a term taken from an Uilleann piping technique, it is actually not a double cutand is not really appilicable on the whistle . It is a technique used most natably by Patsy Touhey to round up a tune with 'a great shower of fingers' and involves an elaborate run of tight triplets which cannot be executed on the whistle [not to the same effect anyway]. The lower hand notes are 'stitched up' turning them into triplets by adding a tight played c A to them, the top hand notes get a G F stitch. But by now I will have lost you. Never mind.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-10-13 08:55 ]</font>