Who is the best high-end whistle maker in your opinion?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

who do you think makes the best high-end whistles?

Copeland
11%
O'Riordan
15%
Schultz
8%
Sweetheart
6%
Busman
8%
Burke
19%
Abell
11%
Overton
23%

Total votes: 53

Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I agree with Paul's statement.

I love my Rose.
And my Sindt.

M
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I voted for Schultz, although the question was posed in the present tense.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wilsing

Post by Wilsing »

They are ALL the best, in one way or another. Each maker has his/her

own idea about how they think a whistle should sound. I, for one, am

very happy that we have so many fine, talented, craftsman to make the

whistles that we all enjoy playing. I say, own one of each makers

whistles, then you will have the BEST...

-James

A Stor Mo Chroi
never a day...
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

One that hasn't been mentioned here is Gary Humphry. His D whistle is my standard that I play every day.
Howard
kmag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Hello,
I don't ususally post, I am a lurker. That being said I can't believe no one has mentioned Greenwood Whistles, a.k.a. David Boisvert. I have a cocobolo in D that is wonderful. It takes a little breath control at first because of the large windway, but it is worth it. It has an almost pipe-like tone which makes sense, him being a pipemaker and all.
I also love my bussman, cocobolo as well.
Kurt
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Ahh! finally some added David Boisvert - best D I have used. Mine is in Blackwood. Also, I haven't seen Beazeys mentioned - I have a few of these. His Bb in Mopani is my favorite in that key and I have a G in Blackwood on the way. There is something special about the sound of Phil's creations.
Hmmm - all my faves seem to be wood. I really like my nickel Copeland C and CPVC Hoover in B. Among other qualities, "Good" for me has to include the ability to be heard over electric guitar/bass and drum set.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Ahh! finally some added David Boisvert - best D I have used. Mine is in Blackwood. Also, I haven't seen Beazeys mentioned - I have a few of these. His Bb in Mopani is my favorite in that key and I have a G in Blackwood on the way. There is something special about the sound of Phil's creations.
Hmmm - all my faves seem to be wood. I really like my nickel Copeland C and CPVC Hoover in B. Among other qualities, "Good" for me has to include the ability to be heard over electric guitar/bass and drum set.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

Sindt, Sindt and Sindt
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

brewerpaul wrote:"Best" is such a subjective and changing term. There are days when what I really want to hear is a regular old Clarke, so on that day, that's the "best" whistle. Other times, I want the sound and feel of my Schultz Bb, or my Overton A, etc. I think all of the established makers make terrific whistles, but I'd be really hard pressed to pick an overall "best".
yes, i see what you are saying is true, i was just wanting to know the most played whistle you use in sessions and at home.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

My current favorites? In no particular order: Greenwood, Busman, O'Riordan. Why? Because those are the makes I have.

I've never had the opportunity to try any of the others listed except Burke (which I sold after concluding that I prefer wooden whistles).

I agree with Paul; there is no overall "best" whistle.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I haven't played any of the whistles on your list but I own a Sindt and if it was on your list I would have voted for it.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I agree with Paul on this.

We may have our individual "favorites," but this is personal opinion for a variety of subjective reasons and in no way begins to approach describing the overall "best."

You may as well ask who is/was the most beautiful woman or best music composer or best builder of sports cars, etc. You will get a lot of opinion but very little agreement.

As for me, it depends on the whim of the moment. But I would venture to say that price versus "bestness" is not a good indicator.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

ok, let me rephrase the question. im not asking for the best. i am asking more on what is your favorite whistle to use and the most used one that you have. i said in the description, that it is a hard question. i know every whistle has its own characteristics that you cannot find in another whistle. i love all those whistles,and more. but there is that certain whistle that stands out the most when you are playing it. i just want to know about some more whistles and your opinions about them. :) i totally agree with paul also. i should have just explained it better.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

The Whistle Collector wrote:ok, let me rephrase the question. im not asking for the best. i am asking more on what is your favorite whistle to use and the most used one that you have.
You've raised a question that is similar to "The truth-rendered-contextually-moot vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers debate"

Is there really an answer? :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

The Whistle Collector wrote:ok, let me rephrase the question. im not asking for the best. i am asking more on what is your favorite whistle to use and the most used one that you have. ....
OK, let me rephrase the answer. The reason you won't ever get anywhere near unanimity on this is that we all have individual preferences in what we want to personally hear in a whistle. Some want "traditional", some want "pure" some want mustard on their hot dog and some want ketchup. :) The closest you will ever get is, " _____ makes very nice whistles and they are my favorites."