Teacher scares Hoo-Haa out of students with asteroid scare

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Teacher scares Hoo-Haa out of students with asteroid scare

Post by Tyler »

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 025293.stm
Pupils were left in tears after a teacher told them that an asteroid was about to hit Earth and kill them all.
The spoof announcement was designed to teach 14-year-olds the importance of seizing the day but backfired after they became visibly frightened.
Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy says of the matter:
It was an effort to teach kids to carpe diem — seize the day. A fine sentiment, of course, but maybe he could have asked them to just pretend an asteroid was on its way instead of scaring the carpe out of them.

And besides the obvious stupidity of telling kids they’re about to die, we’re having a hard enough time getting people to take the threat of asteroids seriously. Maybe the school will tell him to carpe his belongings and find an asteroid of his own to go live on.

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

What a stupid dude. :boggle:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I am amazed that there are still children in England who, at the age of 14 years, still believe what their teacher tells them.

Who was winding up whom, I wonder.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Maybe I'm out to lunch on this, but my impression of several teachers lately is that they are at least as immature as the kids they are supposed to be teaching. This prank is the sort of thing you might talk about amongst friends for a laugh, but would never actually commit to action. I don't know many adults who can comprehend a real asteroid strike, let alone a bunch of 14 yr old children.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Agreed. Perhaps it's the overwelming influence of environment.

But arising out of that, what were the kids expected to do?
Cry, have hysterics... ....er... ...that's it.

It's a long time since I've seen the advice "live each day as if it were your last."

I do. I wouldn't change a thing.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I have trouble living each day as if it's my last while still having money in the bank to pay tomorrow's bills...
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

avanutria wrote:I have trouble living each day as if it's my last while still having money in the bank to pay tomorrow's bills...
It's even harder when tomorrow's bills come today, and upon opening them you discover they're actually yesterday's bils!! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

:oops: <scurries away to pay last Friday's bills> :oops:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

That's even more stupid than the breakfast DJ here, who decided it would be a good April Fool's joke to say that there was unannounced roadworks on one of the busiest roots into the city.

Once the ensuing traffic chaos was sorted out he got fired.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I try to live each day as if I have FOREVERl Ain't rushin' around grabbin' no carps!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Sad.

Tell ya what, tell the teacher that a warrent has been sworn out for his arrest for the murder of a visiting diplomat.

Then after you book him, tell him, "Ok, pal, it was just a joke to show you how important your freedom is. Go home."

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

There's gotta be a word for the special fortitude required to hold on to dignity and maturity while surrounded by teenagers.

The guy is a dough-head, but I understand where it comes from. Sometimes it feels like "shock and awe" teaching might work. Usually, though, the horses don't make it anywhere near the water. Oh, well. It's mostly good work, and the cheques don't bounce.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

And besides the obvious stupidity of telling kids they’re about to die, we’re having a hard enough time getting people to take the threat of asteroids seriously.
Can someone please explain of what use it is/would be "to take the threat of asteroids seriously"? Would the old Duck and Cover response be effective protection if a big one slammed into Earth?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Tril Bluejacket wrote:
And besides the obvious stupidity of telling kids they’re about to die, we’re having a hard enough time getting people to take the threat of asteroids seriously.
Can someone please explain of what use it is/would be "to take the threat of asteroids seriously"? Would the old Duck and Cover response be effective protection if a big one slammed into Earth?
I actually think the old "Bend Over and Kiss" is about the only response that makes sense. :lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Would the old Duck and Cover response be effective protection if a big one slammed into Earth?
I'm guessing it'd be about as effective as it would be for it's original purpose.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West