importing pipes with ivory mounts

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Colin29
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

importing pipes with ivory mounts

Post by Colin29 »

Hey,
I'm due to move to Vancouver, BC from Ireland next September and I want to take my Alf Kennedy practice set and as you can tell from the title of the thread they contain ivory, I am looking to get cites certificates to export them from Ireland and import them to canada and was wondering if anyone has similar experience of this and could possibly provide links to where I may find the application forms online, I know I'm being lazy by not looking myself but if someone out there has experienced this let me know how they got on.
Thanks alot.
Colin O'Connell
An bhfuil cead agam dul amach go dti an leithreas
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Hi Colin;

I've done this from the other direction (USA to Ireland), but it was 10 years ago, not sure I can point you to the best sources of info.

I found this with a quick google:

http://www.cites.org/common/directy/i/ireland.html
(the Management Authority is the one you want to contact)

EU policy regarding import/export of personal effects under CITES regulation:
http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/ref/E041-EU.pdf

You'll probably need to arrange the export permit first, then apply to Canada for a 'reciprocal import permit' which will probably be granted automatically once the export certificate is granted.

For the export cert you'll need to establish the maker of the set (stamp on instrument would do), and then establish that the ivory on the set is legally obtained and/or "pre-convention". Since I think Alf Kennedy was working well before the CITES listing (1977) this shouldn't be too difficult - again, providing either a published reference to the date Alf was active (for instance, in Sean Reid Society Journal or in NPU Archives) or getting a letter from someone who knows the circumstances of your set's manufacture, etc. should do the trick. The more written documentation you have, the less likely you are to encounter a hassle.

best regards

Bill