Beely Whin

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

:oops: Sorry, youth and Denny. :wink:

djm
Last edited by djm on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Denny wrote:

Question...my bin doesn't have wheels, what do I call it?
Has bin ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Denny

Post by Denny »

talasiga wrote:
Denny wrote:

Question...my bin doesn't have wheels, what do I call it?
Has bin ......
Thank you,
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

emmline wrote:...Dumpster strictly refers to something large, metal, and stationary which is only emptied or removed by a truck. The plastic type which is presently overflowing in the side yard, as a result of my missing pick-up last Thursday, is known, even though it is somewhat cumbersome, as a garbage can. I will switch to wheely-bin right away.
Oh, I missed this fascinating topic. Our terminology is exactly the same as emmline's. I cannot see changing to wheely-bin myself, even though ours do have wheels on them. That term doesn't tell me what the thing is for. The word "can" as in container comes, I guess, from
Middle English canne, a water container, from Old English
so maybe it really doesn't have to be metal to be a can although I suppose really it does now. I could go with calling it a garbage bin though. It's shorter than garbage container and sounds more dignified than wheely-bin, just my opinion. But I think garbage can is really more like garbagecan. It's not a can for garbage, it's a garbagecan. I can't explain what I mean.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:I trust the americans won't copyright the term [wheely bin].
Ha. I'll lay odds some Yank entrepreneurial sort has it in the works already. We'll soon see them for sale with Wheely Bin® as the tradename, sales will burgeon, and everyone will forget - if they ever knew - that we borrowed the term.

Plus ça change...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

(apologies to any oriental members)!

This Chinese guy gets a job with a wheelie-bin outfit. he turns up on a doorstep on Cork's northside and knocks on the door..this guy with a tight tee-shirt, crew-cut hair and a mad tan appears....
-Chinese guy: "where you bin?."
-Cork guy : "de cunnaries , boy."
-Chinese guy:"no, no, where you bin?."
-Cork guy :"du cunnaries, i'm tellun ya boy!"
-Chinese guy:"no,no. where you wheelie bin?"
-Cork guy :"alruight so boy, I was on a sun-bed all weekend."
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

SteveShaw wrote: ......
BTW, it's 2007 here now. Maybe I should resolve to give up smirking for the new year. :D
How's your non smirking resolution going, Stevioh?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

SteveShaw wrote:The blokes who come round every week to empty the bins (wheelie or otherwise) are the bin-men, and always were.
Speak for yourself, we call them Scaffies.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

flanum wrote:(apologies to any oriental members)!

This Chinese guy gets a job with a wheelie-bin outfit. he turns up on a doorstep on Cork's northside and knocks on the door..this guy with a tight tee-shirt, crew-cut hair and a mad tan appears....
-Chinese guy: "where you bin?."
-Cork guy : "de cunnaries , boy."
-Chinese guy:"no, no, where you bin?."
-Cork guy :"du cunnaries, i'm tellun ya boy!"
-Chinese guy:"no,no. where you wheelie bin?"
-Cork guy :"alruight so boy, I was on a sun-bed all weekend."
That is so not how I heard that joke. (Interested parties can google "wheely bin joke".)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

chrisoff wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:The blokes who come round every week to empty the bins (wheelie or otherwise) are the bin-men, and always were.
Speak for yourself, we call them Scaffies.
Dustmen in Norn Iron, Scaffies in Scotland, and in England they call them Bin-men and Ash-men.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

In my neck of the woods, you put your trash into a trash or garbage cans whch may or may not have wheels Except for recyclables which go into the city provided recyclng can or bin which has wheels.

Calling any of them a wheely bin would result in a smirk at the quaint expression.

A dumpster would be the larger containers found at stores etc. The ten cubic yard or bigger ones are usually called construction dumpsters. A skip is one suitable to be moved around with a fork lift at an factory and is usually filled with scrap from an industrial process.

Different words for the same things....
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation